Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 AM

38 posts, read 55,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
So what is your ideal location? We've heard a lot of problems, what are the solutions for you?
Where should we all move?
Do not follow me!

Now when I meet someone new I immediately discard natives. I no longer wish to waste my time except for the occasional venting.

I love cautionary tales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by for1500 View Post
You keep missing the point.

This is not Portland nonsensical PR but the absolute truth.
No, you keep missing the point. You have an opinion and you are entitled to it. But it is an opinion not a proven fact. You have not proven a thing. The absolute truth according to you.

You're no fun anymore. I think I am through talking to this wall.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 AM

38 posts, read 55,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No, you keep missing the point. You have an opinion and you are entitled to it. But it is an opinion not a proven fact. You have not proven a thing. The absolute truth according to you.

You're no fun anymore. I think I am through talking to this wall.
When were you fun?

Your comments are so very typical. I could write them for you.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
Quote:
Do not follow me!

Now when I meet someone new I immediately discard natives. I no longer wish to waste my time except for the occasional venting.

I love cautionary tales.
Ha! Ha! Ha! Seriously, THAT's your response? Add something positive to the discussion, man. I hardly think you need worry about anyone on here following you to your promised land (as you can tell the vast majority do not agree with you).

You strike me as a Dallas kind of guy, or maybe Phoenix. What do you think?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Ha! Ha! Ha! Seriously, THAT's your response? Add something positive to the discussion, man. I hardly think you need worry about anyone on here following you to your promised land (as you can tell the vast majority do not agree with you).

You strike me as a Dallas kind of guy, or maybe Phoenix. What do you think?
I'm thinking Toad Suck.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
When were you fun?

Your comments are so very typical. I could write them for you.
Quote:
Not a member
That took long...

Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Yanno, looking at the title of this thread " I talk to Portland residents all the time who have never been to Mount Hood, The Gorge or The Coast!!! " I am wondering why it is so important to to some as to what others do.

I mean, I could care less where other people go. Stay home, go out; so what? Some people have nothing better to do than to poke their noses in other people's lives.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Minervah, it's more the stark picture that it paints. I don't live in Portland, but struck up a conversation with a young woman in North Portland once. She had never been to the coast, or Multnomah Falls, or Mt. Hood. I had been all those places by the time I was 5 years old. My earliest memories are of Mom packing a picnic basket, the family piling into the car, and going somewhere several times a summer. We would ask, "Where are we going?" As often as not, my dad would say, "Just follow the radiator ornament."

You can get a lot of places in a day. Sometimes we even went to Portland. One of the memorable experiences of my childhood was sitting in a Jag XK-E when I was 11 years old. It was love at first sit. I also spent time at Battery Russell, Fort Clatsop, Depoe Bay, Sea Lion Caves, Oregon Caves, Lava Caves, Crater Lake, Timberline Lodge, Multnomah Falls, Silver Creek Falls, and a host of other small parks and sights all over Western Oregon. The thought that someone could grow up in Oregon and see none of those things is sad. It makes me a little sick to think of it.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
What's sadder still is to imagine all the reasons that a person may have grown up without visiting all those places. Whether it was a matter of no money, no time, no means, or no caring. Whatever ... it is sad.

I too enjoyed all those things in my childhood. And it (or something) fostered an interest in me an interest in traveling far and wide, for the experience. My father, who took us to all those places, has no such interest. I have other relatives who are interested in traveling far and wide ... to be able to say they've done it. And some are happy to stay home.

The world is filled with lots of people, with lots of interests. I don't expect them all to share mine.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
What's sadder still is to imagine all the reasons that a person may have grown up without visiting all those places. Whether it was a matter of no money, no time, no means, or no caring. Whatever ... it is sad.

I too enjoyed all those things in my childhood. And it (or something) fostered an interest in me an interest in traveling far and wide, for the experience. My father, who took us to all those places, has no such interest. I have other relatives who are interested in traveling far and wide ... to be able to say they've done it. And some are happy to stay home.

The world is filled with lots of people, with lots of interests. I don't expect them all to share mine.
That is true and it's a very personal thing. Not everyone can afford to visit places in their state. When I was a kid growing up in Chicago, my family stuck pretty close to home for whatever entertainment we could afford which was mostly events that were free in the city. There was very little money for travel or entertainment.

That certainly put some limitations on us. But we didn't feel we were deprived of anything. And it certainly was nobody's business as to why we did not travel much outside our neighborhood.

People have their reasons for doing what they do or do not do. I think judging people because they choose not to see the sights in their state is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland