Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM

115 posts, read 212,688 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input, JJ Mack...we're not looking at coastal though. It would either be Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte. I've heard good things about both cities and it seems that since they're larger than the coastal areas, there would be more opportunity for culture, art etc. I'm learning that I'll have to deal with the lack of recycling and other "green" ways of living in ANY city other than Portland...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
You know, this is not my perception *at all,* but I also subscribe to the Boulder forum and a couple of people there have recently commented on the lack of tolerance in Charlotte. (Quickest link I could find via search: http://www.city-data.com/forum/4917940-post7.html I think there are others, though.)

We have "cousins" (both in the technical sense and in the hazy Southern sense) in Charlotte, and have visited and really liked it. I am posting this only because of what I've read and not what I've noticed in our few visits there. We live outside the conservative bastion of Richmond, Virginia, and it is (I assure you) quite shocking to hear that Charlotte offended anybody's more liberal sensibilities. Richmond prides itself on not having "become Charlotte." Which -- to my non-native sense -- sounds like proud of NOT having public transportation, pro sports teams, a hub (as opposed to sub-regional) airport, and smaller (v. huge-with-giant-concessions) corporate headquarters.

Coming from 20 years in Northern Virginia, I'm shaking my head. I guess there's some sort of local pride in "not selling out," but the metro Richmond area seems to have done it on a grand scale only to have excluded the majority of its citizens from any benefits of "growth."

Still, I am surprised that Charlotte has been so displeasing to these admitted "more liberal" types. I'm only mentioning this because I know that East Coast/Southern "conservatism" has a wholly different meaning and historical shadings than West Coast "conservatism."

I always suggest a visit to size things up for yourself. I can't agree more about the Outer Banks, although they have also grown beyond my belief.

Good luck as you research your new home.

PS-

Recycling is fairly common on the East Coast, although we could do better. It is not likely to be sternly enforced by your neighbors, but is kind of a "point of pride" among good citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland