Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 AM

28 posts, read 94,373 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to narrow down the apartment hunting process but I currently reside in Florida and it's hard to gather completely accurate information from 3000 miles away. Could anyone give me any information about this apartment community or its neighborhood? I know it's next to Union Station....is the noise from the trains really that bad? What about parking? I have other questions but maybe we could start there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 PM

109 posts, read 319,216 times
what is your budget and how many rooms do you want/need? Sorry, don't know anything about the Yards at Union Station though.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I've looked into the area there, I wouldn't suggest it. It's pretty near most of the missions and soup kitchens at the East side of China town, a good deal of crime and people sleeping where they can (I go by it daily on the way home from work).

They do look nice on the outside, but I would skip it for now.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 AM

28 posts, read 94,373 times
here's the deal. My goal is really just to get to Oregon for now. I'm trying to save up money but I assuming that I don't have a job lined up I don't want rent to be eating up my savings. So I'm looking to find the cheapest possible place without sacrificing safety. And I admit finding a place with a washer and dryer in the unit is very important to me. I've never had to do laundry outside my home but I don't think I would like it... With picking the cheapest of places I'd also go with a short lease that way when I get their it'll give me enough time to do better research than say staying in a hotel.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
The cheapest I've found in the city is Lloyd (actually where I live, but I have the requirement for large dogs). Paying about $500 a bedroom, still no washer/dryer in unit. There are some that are no pets with better amenities for about the same price around, but around yards (and Pearl, on the other side of the tracks) it can be about double this unless you are in an income restricted place...which takes a bit to get into.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 12,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukuloo View Post
I'm trying to narrow down the apartment hunting process but I currently reside in Florida and it's hard to gather completely accurate information from 3000 miles away. Could anyone give me any information about this apartment community or its neighborhood? I know it's next to Union Station....is the noise from the trains really that bad? What about parking? I have other questions but maybe we could start there.
I knew someone who lived there. Would visit about twice a month. Outside in the day it looks alright. At night, a tad bit creepy. I've never been around when a train was in, so I couldn't answer your question about noise from the train.

There is an area nearby on Nato Parkway where the train tracks cross the road, right beneath the bridge...it's a major homeless hangout. If you get off the lightrail I think there are only two ways to get to the yards; right by that hangout (the path happens to be on the opposite side of the street where I usually see them) or up some stairs that lead over the train tracks further down. You asked about parking however, so that may not even be a concern for you.

From what my friend told me, you have to pay for parking, and it's expensive. Renting a unit from the Yards does not get you a parking spot. I recall the pricing being something insane..like $150 a month.

There are lots of weird people that walk by, but if you ask me that's generally the Portland area populace, and if you have even an ounce of common sense in you and don't go looking for trouble, you will be fine almost anywhere you live downtown.

My friend just had a studio. It was rather small, but very well priced. He had a small outside balcony, enough to have a few plants in pots outside. It wasn't very noisy when I was there either. The building has a weird interior scent, but so do a lot of the buildings downtown. I dont know if there is a building code to use some kind of air fresheners or what.

That's about all I can remember for now.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,063 times
Homeless men peeing near the dumpsters and pretty sure there is a brothel downstairs...I would suggest looking elsewhere and the train is VERY LOUD.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,840 times
I've lived at the Yards for about 3 yrs and unless you're accustomed to living in a bubble the area as well as the apartments are about as creepy as a PG Disney movie. These negative reviews must have been written by uber-yuppie republican types who are frightened by their own flatulence. Most residents here are perfectlly "normal" and tend to be younger than 40. Its not a family type place but then nothing is downtown. Nor is it a wild party-brothel crackhead in rags place, but because its close to Waterfront Park there are homeless people around but they don't loiter on the apt grounds and cops on horseback patrol the area all the time. Anyone who has lived in almost any other medium to large US city will probably find downtown Portland's scariest areas about as threatening as bread pudding. Besides, you can easily avoid the "scary" areas to the south and walk about 5 minutes north to the illustrious Pearl District and take the Portland Trolley to some of the nicer NW shopping areas.

The 2 nearest MAX stops are less than 1/4 mile from the apts and there is a large open lot between the southern station & the complex so generally you'll be able to see any ax-weilding homeless folks running towards you on your walk home. Directly across the street there are fancy riverside apts complete with security guards, a small store and a cafe/bar(don't worry its one of those quiet sparkly ones whose patrons wear slacks & cardigans) that may provide a sense of security for those who can't deal with the knowledge that poverty stricken people are existing somewhere nearby. Just avoid eye contact with any "weird" looking people you wallk past and you'll avoid being sucked into the dark underbelly of society where men grow their hair past their earlobes and wear lots of black.

Certain bldgs at The Yards have income restrictions and all that means is the residents tend to be a bit more openminded and cause less air pollution than those in the "normal" buildings. Many are unemployed and spend most of their spare time filing their nails and thinking up ways to rip off their richer nieghbors, but several cameras have recently been installed within the building to discourage illicit activity and discourage the digging of recyclables out of the trash room bins. These people who are saying its near the soup kitchens obviously have no idea what they're talking about. It might look close on a map but its not like there are hords of homeless people who wander down to an area where there is nothing but apts. The Pearl district is just as close to these soup kitchens! I think the people who are trying to discourage others to move here are paranoid snobs who are angry that this apt complex exists. To the average person "low-income housing" brings to mind undernourished kids running around selling crack while their moms give massages during the day and beat the kids at night. Its insulting to people who want or need to live downtown but simply don't have the means to rent outrageously priced apts that will go up in cost every year. Our rent has increased $5 since we've been here, and frankly I think rich folks just assume we're all uneducated wastes of space down here who are sucking "hardworking Americans" dry. I wonder if they know how much work it is to survive day to day out on the streets? If they're so afraid of homeless people why don't they do something to help them? Oh thats right, everyone is supposed to be able to help themselves because we all have the same opportunities, abilities, aptitudes, support systems, goals, etc.

Anyway--the freight trains are loud but its not like they are constantly going by and unless they blow their horn they aren't that noticable. There's a high wrought iron fence and lots of trees separating the tracks from the apt grounds. The landscaping is very nice and the grounds are well-maintained, plus the style of the buildings isn't what you'd expect of a "low-income" complex. There are strict rules about keeping patios clean so you're not going to find tacky things like piles of broken bigwheels and people's laundry hanging outside.

There's an air conditioned, hardwood floor gym w/ treadmills, elliptical stairclimbers, recumbent bikes and several weight machines. I've never seen more than 3 people at once in there and they've all looked very normal and clean-cut.

There's no free street parking from 8am-7pm but if you can get a spot in the garage it costs about $50 less than any public garages in the area. There is also a Zipcar on the property and several more within a mile or 2, although you might have to walk past a homeless person to get to one. Don't worry though, should they wake up and mumble a request for change all you have to say is "no" and they'll leave your illustrious ass alone.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran ran View Post
Homeless men peeing near the dumpsters and pretty sure there is a brothel downstairs...I would suggest looking elsewhere and the train is VERY LOUD.
So you live at The Yards? Where is this brothel you're talking about? I'd like to apply!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:40 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
jjb246:

Welcome to the Forum. We need someone near Old Town and the north end of Downtown to add a post now and then.

Do feel free to post again.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland