Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,636 times

Advertisements

I have lived in my apartment going on 6 years. It is a three story unit and my apartment in located in the middle, so I have someone below and above me.

Just a few months ago a lady moved into the apartment below me. Since she has moved in she has complained twice about me. Two months ago she complained to the landlord that when I shake my sheets out after taking them out of the dryer the dust goes into her apartment and she has terrible allergies. I might note that she also has two cats.

Just last night there is a knock on the door and it is the landlord again informing me that she had complained again about me making noise in the morning. She hears me moving around and moving my kitchen chair away from the dining table. I could not believe it. The landlord did mention that I must try and be quieter. I do not know how more quiet I can be. I go to bed at 8:00 every night and get up at 4:30 a.m. I make coffee, take a shower and go to work.

The landlord says that my neighbor has some sort of disability, which I believe it hearing, as it states on her front door to knock loudly and she cannot hear very good.

I am definitely sick and tired of having her complain about my day to day living. I know I have some rights. The first time that she complained about me about the dust I went down to her place to talk to her. I told her I had lived here 5 years and do not appreciate any complaints about me. That I keep to myself and I want it kept like that. Well, she told the landlord that I went down there and yelled at her. So when he came to my apartment last night and talked to me about being too noisy, he also told me not to go to her apartment in retailiation like I did the last time.

I need advice....I do not have money to move to a new apartment but I want these complaints to stop. I really do believe that this lady is not dealing with a full deck.

I will take any advice....I am desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 PM

109 posts, read 319,373 times
That really sucks... I'm not a lawyer or lease expert, but I would just ignore her and try to stay out of her way. How the heck does she know that you are shaking your sheets to make your bed? Many people have had to deal with cranky neighbors, and i'm sure the landlord had to agree to "discuss it with you" to apease cranky lady. They can't legally evict you for making coffee and going to work, so unless there is more to the story than you are letting on, just live your life and ignore her.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Talk to your landlord about her pestering you. Get the upper hand. You have 6 years of a good record as a tenant. Your landlord would be a fool to take her word over yours. She may have an ulterior motive like wanting your apartment for a friend. She could also be a nut who will complain about anyone who lives there because she can hear them.

Point out to your landlord that no matter who lives in your apartment, she will more than likely complain and make his life miserable with her complaints. Keep reminding him of your good record as a tenant and if you can have the other neighbors vouch for you. You have to make him see it is his loss to lose you and keep a crank like her.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Many years ago I had a similar problem with a couple next to me. In Oregon, I can make noise until 10PM, so I put speakers up against the wall and played heavy bass music- ba bump ba bump ba bump... Then, I made certain to run the dishwasher and washer/dryer at 9PM... They finally moved out.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I would try what Minervah is suggesting, or try the sociopathic way of stopping it. Honestly I had the same problem a number of years ago and I just did random stuff to make them look crazy to the landlord. Things like dropping a bowling ball over thier bedroom once a month on random days, or have friends come over and make a big racket for about 5 minutes at a time when the landlord knew I was on vacation. I think I also stuffed Limburger cheese in the cracks above their front door. It took about 3-4 months, but the complaints stopped, and I still get a laugh out of it....I kind of wish it took longer.

Last edited by subsound; 03-05-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-05-2009, 09:04 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Hopefully you take Minervah's advice. Hate to say it, but the last time I used tactics like the last two posts advise was somwhere around my sophomore year of college. You said you've lived there for six years, so I'll assume you're older than that.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Hopefully you take Minervah's advice. Hate to say it, but the last time I used tactics like the last two posts advise was somwhere around my sophomore year of college. You said you've lived there for six years, so I'll assume you're older than that.
Yeah, sounds about right when I did that...

Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I agree with Minervah but would add that this new tenant may have mental health problems. You are not obligated to accommodate these complaints as your are entitled to fair use of your home. Perhaps you could come up with a script when she complains to you to the effect of: "I understand that moving to a new home is an adjustment. If you find that your apartment doesn't meet your needs then perhaps you should look elsewhere."

If she continues to pound on your door write a letter to your landlord describing what she is doing (after talking to them, naturally). This could help the landlord in any eventual eviction proceeding and, should you feel threatened, support any restraining order you may seek.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
The other thought is to just try and be respectful and when a complaint is made, understand that the person doing so is wrong and not really intending you any ill will- just someone who makes complaints and take it with a grain of salt.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen2513 View Post
I am definitely sick and tired of having her complain about my day to day living. I know I have some rights. The first time that she complained about me about the dust I went down to her place to talk to her. I told her I had lived here 5 years and do not appreciate any complaints about me. That I keep to myself and I want it kept like that. Well, she told the landlord that I went down there and yelled at her. So when he came to my apartment last night and talked to me about being too noisy, he also told me not to go to her apartment in retailiation like I did the last time.
What I am curious about is why, after six years, you are not getting more support from your landlord? You are also very lucky she did not have you arrested for menacing. What were you thinking, going down there to confront her without a witness? You may have rights and she may, in fact, have issues but so do you. A 4:30 start of day is not exactly typical and I don't think it is especially possible to take a shower quietly. Did you ever think about taking your shower at night? Have you in fact been a model tenant all those years? Are we getting the entire story? Just asking.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland