Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 02:38 PM

165 posts, read 1,025,337 times

Advertisements

We're finally moving to OR/WA in June and will be renting for a while before deciding where to buy. I'd like to spend less than $1200/mo. for a 3bd 2ba single family house or townhouse with a garage. I'm going to be working from home and my child is in college, so schools/commute are not a big concern. I'd like to be within 15 minutes of a real grocery store and gas station. I'd prefer not to be shot at or live next to someone who ties their dog up in their yard. The smaller towns appeal to me. Sooo, Camas/Washougal is generally considered safe/pretty, and Gresham not so much? How about Fairview, which is between the two? Other smaller towns not too far away - what do you think of Ridgefield (can I ask that in this forum? )? Battle Ground? La Center? St. Helens? Scappoose? For reference, I've only been to Forest Grove recently and loved it (about the right size, pretty, occasional trip to Portland isn't too painful), there just aren't too many rentals there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:08 PM

14 posts, read 53,709 times
try 2000 miles away, but Ima goin for it

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times
I can only address a few of the towns. Battleground is a nice area. I associate La Center with card rooms (that's all I see advertised from there) -- so has a negative connotation to me. St. Helens & Scappoose are nice. More of a mill-town flavor, though. Fairview and Camas both would be too close to the Gorge for me. The winds can howl down through there fierce in the wintertimes.

My personal preference would be to go southward, rather than north. (I think Forest Grove is a great town, just for reference). Some places I might look at would be Sherwood, Aurora, Silverton and those areas.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 AM

700 posts, read 2,597,226 times
Take a look at Wilsonville

Old 04-13-2009, 02:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi66 View Post
We're finally moving to OR/WA in June and will be renting for a while before deciding where to buy. ... I'm going to be working from home and my child is in college, so schools/commute are not a big concern. I'd like to be within 15 minutes of a real grocery store and gas station. ... Sooo, Camas/Washougal is generally considered safe/pretty, and Gresham not so much? How about Fairview, which is between the two? Other smaller towns not too far away - what do you think of Ridgefield (can I ask that in this forum? )? Battle Ground? La Center? ....
You cannot ask WA questions in OR forum, but you can ask OR questions in WA forum. With working from home, I don't think you want to be paying 9% OR income tax. That would buy a few trips home for your student. I would rent close to border, so you have adequate time to experience both venues (OR & WA). Personally, I would rent on the Ft Vancouver Historic reserve, or nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland