Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:16 PM

46 posts, read 116,707 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people have such a big problem with watching TV in Portland? I guess it's more entertaining to play with chickens in the backyard or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:22 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,565,355 times
maybe they have more important things to do than sit on their asses and be entertained.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,067,115 times
I don't really see many that don't watch TV at all, any more then anywhere else I have lived. There are certainly those folks that go out and do things with friends, but that happens everywhere really. The weather is nicer on average then say some place like Florida, so hot and so humid I think it's nearly unlivable, so there are more people who are outside and walking around.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,712,026 times
That is a new one for me, I never heard of a anti tv culture in Portland. But, maybe it would have something to do with the fact Portlanders spend a lot of time outdoors, and with so many outdoor event I can sorta see it but I don't think it is Anti-TV, it just thaty got better things to do.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 PM

57 posts, read 186,467 times
You're not seeing an anti-TV culture: you're seeing the multitude of other options Portlanders have in the summer. Concerts, art shows, bike rides, restaurants, bars, movies, parties, porch get togethers...the list goes on. Check the city out in the colder months: chances are you'll find plenty of people inside watching TV.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,849,246 times
The OP is probably referring to the "KILL YOUR TV" bumperstickers that are popular in Portland (as well as large chunks of the rest of the country).

Why would anyone feel that they had to defend TV from those who don't watch it or like it?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
I know a few people who don't like TV and are very judgmental towards those who do. It's a snob thing I think. But I doubt that it's just Portland. I saw those "Kill Your TV" signs when I lived in Chicago.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 AM

46 posts, read 116,707 times
Yeah.....that's what I was talking about Minervah. Why do I have to be judged because I enjoy watching sports or movies on TV from time to time? I know they are "very judgemental" like you said. I know that Portland is supposed to be full of "free thinkers" and individuals, but all I keep hearing about are trends like this. Other trends include the famous beatles aka emo haircut, chuck taylors, not showering, cool 80's retro t-shirts, and beanie hats. On a side note, I was actually turned down from a house because I was asked if I had a TV and my response was "yes".

Old 08-09-2009, 02:24 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,182,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disembodied View Post
Yeah.....that's what I was talking about Minervah. Why do I have to be judged because I enjoy watching sports or movies on TV from time to time?....On a side note, I was actually turned down from a house because I was asked if I had a TV and my response was "yes".
Oh gosh, there's a lot of good stuff in between the junk on television. PBS, Discovery Channel, History Channel, National Geographic specials, movies from Netflix for cheaper than going to the theater - this is why I have a TV, and to heck with anyone who looks down on me because I watch those things.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,712,026 times
When I watch TV it is usually the Travel Channel or the History Channel. I mostly watch shows online since so many network airs there episodes and shows online now-a-days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: