Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 PM

31 posts, read 72,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disembodied View Post
the famous beatles aka emo haircut
These haircuts are different. The emo cut has longer bangs, the Beatle helmet cut has bangs that are basically the same length as the rest of the hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM

46 posts, read 116,579 times
Thanks for the clarification on that. They all look the same to me...and it's not original at all.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 19,582 times
I don't believe there are any original haircuts left, are there

Anywho, there is definitely an anti-TV culture in Portland. I've never seen anything like it to be quite honest. I was looking for a place to live and roughly 1/4 of the listings said something to the effect of "we don't watch TV in this house, and neither will you." It's super pretentious and fairly ridiculous. But that's just Portland, I guess.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
It's much like being an ex-smoker - once you get rid of TV, you find the way it's frequently left on all the time really annoying, especially given how loud and abrasive commercials are.

I have a TV I watch DVDs on (mostly rentals via Netflix), but I haven't had satellite or cable in probably 7 years (and now I live too far out for broadcast TV). Don't miss it a bit.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitybound View Post
I don't believe there are any original haircuts left, are there

Anywho, there is definitely an anti-TV culture in Portland. I've never seen anything like it to be quite honest. I was looking for a place to live and roughly 1/4 of the listings said something to the effect of "we don't watch TV in this house, and neither will you." It's super pretentious and fairly ridiculous. But that's just Portland, I guess.
No that's not "just Portland". It's some people in Portland. I'm guessing that the listings you are looking at are also the "free spirits", vegan/vegetarian, smoke free, drug free variety looking to share a house.Yes, we have those folks here. But we have every other kind of folks here too. I for one, love TV, especially on my new HDTV. Anyone who dismisses an entire medium is, in my opinion, uninformed and brainwashed. To say that "We don't watch TV" is akin to saying "We don't look at art" or "We don't believe in electricity". It's a conceit, no more, no less.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 19,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
No that's not "just Portland". It's some people in Portland. I'm guessing that the listings you are looking at are also the "free spirits", vegan/vegetarian, smoke free, drug free variety looking to share a house.Yes, we have those folks here. But we have every other kind of folks here too. I for one, love TV, especially on my new HDTV. Anyone who dismisses an entire medium is, in my opinion, uninformed and brainwashed. To say that "We don't watch TV" is akin to saying "We don't look at art" or "We don't believe in electricity". It's a conceit, no more, no less.
What I meant by "it's just Portland" is that there is a much higher percentage of those folks in this city. Unfortunately, most weren't of either the vegan or drug-free variety, as I am a tv-watching, non-pot smoking vegan and had a hell of a hard time finding a place to live that was tolerant of all that. People who don't watch TV here really hate their TV, and people who smoke pot really love their pot. Then again, I am 24 and was looking to live with people around the same age. I think that's probably pretty much the prime age for hating TV and loving the sweet leaf.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitybound View Post
Then again, I am 24 and was looking to live with people around the same age. I think that's probably pretty much the prime age for hating TV and loving the sweet leaf.
Yep, I didn't own a TV for several years when I was in college and graduate school, and looked down my nose at my parents for watching it. How things change.

My son's in college now, and never watches TV except when he's home on breaks, and we watch a little South Park together once in awhile. (Whoops! I said I only watched PBS, etc. before! )

Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
OK! I love TV. I watch it all the time from silly sit-coms to soaps with some documentaires and old black and white movies thrown inbetween. It's cheap, it's close and I can do it in my jammies.

So there, TV snobs. You will take my TV only out of my cold dead hands. I'm even thinking of having it buried with me so I can watch just in case the afterlife is boring.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
How/why does someone "hate" an entire medium? There have been and are sublime programs on TV. There have been and are sublimely crappy programs on TV. To rule it out in it's entirety is inexplicable to me. It's broadcast bigotry.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
How/why does someone "hate" an entire medium? There have been and are sublime programs on TV. There have been and are sublimely crappy programs on TV. To rule it out in it's entirety is inexplicable to me. It's broadcast bigotry.
Like there aren't crappy books!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: