Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 52,132 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed and identified with your feelings. You sound sensible, articulate, and intelligent. I'm the guy who wrote "From Grants Pass to Portland". As far as developing new friendships, my only suggestion is to join clubs and organizations. That is the one thing I tend NOT to do so I have nobody but myself to blame for my loneliness. I sound like an old man but I like to stay in at night, and I like to be out and about during the day. Well, most clubs and organizations meet at night.

I'm sure you and your wife will develop new friendships through your love of film and music. I anticipate developing new friendships through my comedy. I think you'll be fine.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM

151 posts, read 233,162 times
Portland sounds like a pretty good fit for you. The adjustment to the weathe is a problem for some, not for others.

Public schools are not raved over here. If you can afford to pay a premium to move into the right hood, there are some good districts. There is an extensive magent school program, but they aren't a shoe-in to get into.

Portland is very safe for a city like it is, but kids can't wander all over by themselves. Just have to be prudent. If you live in inner Portland, then going mostly carless will not be a problem.

The job situation is the big one, but you have that under control.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the creative scene. My sense is that it used to be much more laid-back, and is now pretty self-conscious and cliquish. But there are many artists here and you can always avoid the cliques and find those like you with just a genuine interest in creating.

The lesson I learned: think ahead about your kids before buying a home. We bought a place in our late 20's that is quite near to stuff we liked at that time. Just a few years later, with a baby, our preferences changed very quickly (Honestly, it's like someone throws a switch. And all couples say they're hip and they won't let it happen to them, but it does.) So, my point is, look for someplace that seems quiet enough and safe enough to have a kid, where they'll be able to go to bed at 8 pm without hearing the neighbors, or a bar, or that sort of thing.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
If you can both take the weather, I think you will love it. I can't do that kind of weather personally, I tried. The grey skies and feeling like there may not even be a sun anymore was dismal and depressing for me. Sometimes the bad (ok, I know it's not bad for all people) weather starts around the beginning of Oct. and doesn't end until WAY into the spring (May, June).

Some people love that weather though...I wish I was one of them as the whole PNW is so beautiful.

Get used to being wet or damp most of the time you venture out during the rainy season.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,915 times
We always thought we wanted to live in Portland...... so we visited for a month last year in Sept-Oct to witness the changing weather and it was interesting to say the least.

My impressions (from a design profession bias):
Overall not as nice as I imagined and remembered from 20 yrs ago-although I do love the older neighborhoods and craftsmen homes, and the flourishes of modern architecture downtown. Lots of blah, undistinctive looking homes and suburbs (even expensive Lake Oswego) concentrically around Portland...dare I say the same as everywhere USA.
If you are thinking of perhaps living in the scenic Willamette Valley (as we did), you are confronted with lifeless small towns and burgeoning traffic to reach Portland.

Lots of great restaurants/brewpubs, unique stores, parks, etc in most neighborhoods.

However, those Portland neighborhoods you'll fall in love with.... the ones with the cute craftsmen homes on the postage stamp lots will cost you dearly (we liked the Sellwood neighborhood best considering aesthetics, value and location).

Very bad rush hour traffic, statistically pretty bad crime and high taxes.

Our feelings about Portland changed daily... mostly positively...but then the low oppressive clouds and rain moved in, day after day (with the further knowledge that it only gets worse for another 6 months or longer)...very, very depressing. Consequently, the dream is extinguished.

Simply said, we left with a better appreciation for our historic seacoast area of Portsmouth and Rye NH with its quaint English character, rocky coast and beaches, light traffic, low crime, low taxes, beautiful crisp fall color, snowy but relatively sunny winters, sunny summers and the same cold ocean as Cannon Beach OR (though not as spectacular). Oh well... I guess Boston beckons for a daytrip now and then!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:00 PM
cbz

22 posts, read 115,496 times
Portland would be great for you - we moved here almost five years ago from the East Coast and absolutely love it. We live in NE portland - we have three kids, wanted to be close to downtown (5 minute drive) but be in an exceptional school district. Our kids go to Riverdale Grade School and HS - small school district - top rated in the state - the HS is number 2 in the state. Lots of young couples and singles like the Pearl - and yes, like others have said - the Summer is truly glorious - picture perfect - but it rains most days the rest of the year. good luck-

Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 PM

13 posts, read 64,330 times
Hello all

I have been considering a move to Portland for several years. Landed in St Peteresburg Florida of all places. Long story!! My restored bungalow (in a great area) goes up for sale in September. When it sells, I'll be packing a moving truck and leaving Florida for(i really hope) Oregon. I don't mind my rainy weather. I prefer it to 5 long months of heat and high humidity. My questions are... how will a single gay man in his mid 40's do in Portland? Are there a lot of other single gay men or are most couples? I am not much into the bar scene. Love nature, the arts, antiques, the mountains and the pacific coast. Used to live in San Francisco, Too expensive now. Is it possible to find a fixer upper for less than $200k in a decent neighborhood? I love houses with porches and character What areas do gay men live in? Is the gay community friendly? Here, we are very spread out. How does health care rate for gay men in Portland?

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM

152 posts, read 335,316 times
I've been living in Portland for almost 2 years. I expected the rain and the clouds. What really shocked and horrified me was how darn hot it gets here during the summers. Triple digit heat. And it would be fine if people didn't pretend the weather was so temperate here, you don't need AC...NOT!

My advice is get a place with central air or a place that has windows where you can easily slip in a window unit.

After a week of 100 degree temps in late July, I am looking forward to 6 months of clouds and rain!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon29 View Post
I've been living in Portland for almost 2 years. I expected the rain and the clouds. What really shocked and horrified me was how darn hot it gets here during the summers. Triple digit heat. And it would be fine if people didn't pretend the weather was so temperate here, you don't need AC...NOT!

My advice is get a place with central air or a place that has windows where you can easily slip in a window unit.

After a week of 100 degree temps in late July, I am looking forward to 6 months of clouds and rain!
people told me not to worry about ac when I was house hunting! Ha!!! I'm from the south so I know to expect the unexpected in regards to summer weather-anywhere. I don't DO heat.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Bungalow,

Check Gay & Lesbian News Portland Oregon for information on the gay community here. The community is large and diverse; you're almost certain to find kindred spirits.

Your post doesn't mention employment; it's seriously difficult to find work around here right now. Do you have a job lined up, or can you live without one for an extended period?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 AM

178 posts, read 392,397 times
I grew up in Oregon (not Portland) landed on Florida's central gulf coast (long unpleasant story) want desperately to get back to Oregon, Portland this time.

Regarding making friends in places other than work or church, it looks like it would be very easy in Portland by joining different groups, there are all kinds. But just take meetup.com as one example. Where I am now there are 9 meetup groups within 5 miles, a search on Portland shows 352 groups within 5 miles and 562 within 10 miles.

If some one can't find friends in that much diversity and selection of groups there is something wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland