Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,499 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm hoping to get a bit of advice on a neighborhood in/around (preferably in) Portland that would suit our lifestyle...

We currently live in the mountains 30 minutes outside Boise, Idaho and are planning our move to Portland within the next 12-18 months.

We are 31 and 35, with a three year old and a baby on the way. We are left-leaning politically, interested in the arts, budding foodies, and enjoy the outdoors in general (hiking, biking, etc.) -- we aren't big into a nightlife or anything too incredibly trendy, but I would like to be able to walk to some shops and restaurants, if possible.

I own my own graphic design business and work from home, so commuting won't be an issue. My husband will also be home to help care for our children.

We are planning to rent initially and would like to pay between $1500-$1750/mo. for a 2 bedroom.

I think I'm leaning toward renting a house, but I'd consider a loft or condo if there is a super fabulous area that is great enough to give up a yard for! As long as it's not a high crime rate area, it'll go on our consideration list.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Let us start here:
Susan's Online Guide to Portland Oregon - The City of Roses

Also Here:
Neighborhood Maps and Boundaries

From what you described I am going to recommend:
1- Multnomah Village on South-West side
2- Sellwood south of Portland on East side of Willamette river.
3- Woodstock, near Reed College, and south of Reed college for about 3/4 mile heading south on the Southeast side.
4 - If your budget can afford it, might find a good deal up in what they call the Irvington District in the North East.
5- And of course if you are really flush with the $$$ Try for a place in the NorthWest District, just beyond Goose Hollow and the Pearl. This is "the" place for modestly trust funded artistic types. Northwest district has a few Graphic Studios I think.

If you can stand the ageing well worn out "hip" generation bit, there is SE Hawthorn. (between SE 25 and SE 39th) area. I personally think the housing is overpriced for what you really get. But it is a truly great neighborhood, but not for everybody.

Oh, yes there are plenty of 'burbs if you want. "Burbs are 'Burbs everywhere in USA. Not, I think, for how you describe yourself and your spouse.

Phil

Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM

13 posts, read 49,634 times
Default Portland Will be Perfect for You!

Portland has lovely neighborhoods, it's a matter of taste and the vibe you prefer. Check out Sellwood, Hollywood, Irvington, Rose City, Sunnyside, Hawthorne. All very unique, family friendly, walk/bike friendly and super close to downtown Portland. If you are looking for a loft you could check out the Pearl. I'd say lots of young families in all parts. Enjoy, Portland is awesome and has some of the best food ever!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 21,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSky View Post
Hi! I'm hoping to get a bit of advice on a neighborhood in/around (preferably in) Portland that would suit our lifestyle...

We currently live in the mountains 30 minutes outside Boise, Idaho and are planning our move to Portland within the next 12-18 months.

We are 31 and 35, with a three year old and a baby on the way. We are left-leaning politically, interested in the arts, budding foodies, and enjoy the outdoors in general (hiking, biking, etc.) -- we aren't big into a nightlife or anything too incredibly trendy, but I would like to be able to walk to some shops and restaurants, if possible.

I own my own graphic design business and work from home, so commuting won't be an issue. My husband will also be home to help care for our children.

We are planning to rent initially and would like to pay between $1500-$1750/mo. for a 2 bedroom.

I think I'm leaning toward renting a house, but I'd consider a loft or condo if there is a super fabulous area that is great enough to give up a yard for! As long as it's not a high crime rate area, it'll go on our consideration list.

Thanks!
Hi. Portland is a great city to live in. I'm planning on leaving by next year, but need to sell (or rent) my house. I live on the outskirts of Portland, but Portland isn't too big, so its about a 15 minute drive into downtown. My house is 1950 sq. ft. , 3 bdrm, 2.5 bthrm, 2 story. big bad yard with fruit trees. I'm putting it out on the market for $255,000 or renting for $1,600.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,409 times
There's a 3 BR townhouse for sale, but the video also highlights some great points to NW portland neighborhood.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZf_nAamW88[/url]

Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I know that neighborhood very well, a great place to live. The only townhouses I would consider are on 28th, one is on the market at the moment - VERY sound construction. The other issue I would have with townhouses is the stair climbing with a baby, although it is good exercise.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
In my part (SE) of Portland, I would suggest Westmoreland, Woodstock, and Sellwood.
BTW, people tend to include Westmoreland when talking about Sellwood, but they are different neighborhoods.

Sellwood and Westmoreland are better suited for easy access to "outdoor activities" than Woodstock because those areas are closer to the river.
You have the amusement park and all kinds of hiking/biking trails along the river, and access to these kinds of activities will be better than Woodstock.
All three have easy walking access to shops, restaurants, etc.

Woodstock has it's own little ambience, it's a very nice little neighborhood to live in, and it's five minutes east of Westmoreland and Sellwood.
That's where I raised my family and live still.

I grew up in the Sellwood/Woodstock areas (in the 50's 60's and 70's), and status wise it went like this:

Eastmoreland = Snooty and priviliged
Westmoreland = A good decent middle class neighborhood
Sellwood = Working class, small houses and yards, a step down from Westmoreland
Woodstock = Working class, not as much character as Sellwood, not really considered part of Westmoreland/Eastmoreland/Sellwood.

In the eighties that all changed and Sellwood and Westmoreland became THE place to live if you were professional and in your thirties with a young family.
In the late eighties, you could buy a very nice house in the Westmoreland-Sellwood areas for about 50K. Now they go for at least six or seven times that.
IMHO, Woodstock got "discovered" in the late 90's. You'd probably get more bang for your buck real estate wise in Woodstock.

And Eastmoreland is still considered snooty and privileged.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-13-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 AM

110 posts, read 490,946 times
Default Neighborhoods and Rentals

With your budget, you could get a great place in close-in SE Portland..as I see someone else posted as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
The OP started this thread over a year ago, and never posted again.
I'm sure the OP has found a place to live by now.

My own previous post in this thread is not quite so true a year after I composed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: