Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 AM

47 posts, read 110,249 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think I finally decided on a neighborhood. Northwest Portland, how is it? Is it safe? I was researching it and it seems to have everything I need, close to downtown, cheaper rent than downtown, things like that. I just really want to know if it's a safe neighborhood, how's public transit, and what the vibe is like. I'm still researching the different neighborhoods in NW Portland but I seem to be liking what I'm seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,452 times
When you say NW do you mean closer to NW 23rd, Pearl district or Old town/Chinatown?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:03 PM

I'm not sure, on the site you gave me I liked all the neighborhoods under NW Portland specifically Nob Hill, Forest Park, Linnton, NW Heights, and Sylvan

Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Linnton. I would move to Linnton without hesitation. It does have a lot of commercial/industrial mixed in there, specifically along Highway 30. It's an older neighborhood as you know, so in some places, there's a grunge factor.

I don't know if you've been given this site yet or not. But the writer gives an awful lot of interesting info and tips on different Portland neighborhoods, including shops, rentals, etc. You should be able to gauge how expensive a neighborhood is through this site, as well. There's just tons of info and links on here:

Susan's Online Guide to Portland Oregon - The City of Roses (http://movingtoportland.net/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 PM

It's great to get the opinions of people who actually live there. So Linnton is the way to go huh? I loved it, Linnton and Nob Hill were definately my favorites, I'm kind of stuck between the two. I was stuck between all of them but now that you mentioned Linnton I've narrowed it down to those two...Decisions decisions...

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 PM

I found this place but I'm not sure what part of NW Portland it's in or if it's good, does anyone know?
RHP - Round Hill Pacific - Classic Apartments in Portland, Oregon

Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 PM

And sorry to be a bother but what about this place Rock Creek 185 Apartments in Portland, OR | Apartments.com can this be for real, all that for those prices???? There has to be a catch right?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_CPhT/EMT View Post
And sorry to be a bother but what about this place Rock Creek 185 Apartments in Portland, OR | Apartments.com can this be for real, all that for those prices???? There has to be a catch right?
When I first moved out of the house at 18, my sister (then 24) and I decided to rent an apartment together (both of us were employed full time in decent jobs). We took our mom along as the voice of reason and wisdom. One of the apartments we looked at was at Rock Creek 185th. The leasing agent was a complete a**hole. He was extremely condescending, and at one point in describing their recycling program asked, "Your mother did teach you girls how to recycle, didn't she?" Like we were kindergartners or something. Suffice it to say, we decided not to rent there.

I seriously doubt that guy is still there, but my feelings about the place have been sour ever since. Perhaps it is because of that kind of customer service that they are now practically giving their apartments away. Oh, that and it's right next door to the Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue Station, so you constantly have fire engine noise. Oh yeah, and highway noise. Not to mention Westview High School is right up the street so you have high school noise and traffic congestion. But don't worry, at least they know how to recycle.

In reality, I never lived there and I'm obviously biased. Look at this site for first hand experience:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...Creek-185.html

Last edited by figmalt; 01-08-2010 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: added website

Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM

hummm seems to make more sense now, thanks so much. And what do you think about that other place I linked to?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
I am not sure, but I think that Rock Creek apartments may be in Washington county.

Portland is in Multnomah County, so apartment rents may reflect the lower property taxes in Washington County.

Someone else will have to verify this.

I don't recall ever going past that other place on Everett St. As with any NW Portland housing, be sure you know and understand the car parking options your landlord offers as street parking is errrr.... ah... a *witch* ( or spelled like 'witch', wink, wink)

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland