Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 19,695 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I visited PDX earlier this spring and I really loved what I saw of the city. Now I'm seriously considering moving here but I have few a questions/concerns.

First of all, how difficult is it to get a job? Any job, even minimum wage jobs. I'm currently under the impression that things are very competitive in Portland right now and that finding any employment may be difficult.

One of the things I love about Portland is how easy it was to get around without a car. Would you recommend living without a car in this city? And what are your opinions on the TriMet (is it safe, clean, etc)? I liked the public transportation the city offers and had no problem with it during my stay but I would just like to hear what others think of it.

Also, because I would ideally like to be car free, I was thinking of living downtown to be closer to the MAX and bus lines. Is downtown generally a safe area to live in? If not, what places would be ideal for a young, single woman to live? (again, keeping in mind that it would need to be near some for of public transportation)

Finally, I've heard mixed things about the citizens of Portland; some people say that Portlanders are the friendliest people around and others say that its difficult to meet people here because much of the population prefers to keep to themselves. I understand that in any city you'll find a wide variety of personalities, but what are your thoughts on Portlanders in general?

Any answers/comments would really be appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,729 times
Hello, I was a single female when I moved to Portland in 2004, without a car. I purposely moved here to avoid needing a car; this is one of the few US cities where nearly everything is accessible using public transport or bicycle, and the downtown is alive day and night.

For the few times I did want to get out of town, I rented a car for the weekend through Enterprise, at $10/day (Fri-Mon). There is also the FlexCar program - check out their website for more information. It's great for running a batch of errands all in one afternoon, you pay by the hour, all inclusive (even fuel).

You will find many bicycle commuters - crossing the Hawthorne bridge on weekday mornings is not unlike Amsterdam sometimes. There are many paved bike lanes, as well as multi-use bike/ped paths along the river. The closer-in you can find housing, the better. Lots of homeshare offerings to split rent/utilities and make housing more affordable.

Job competition is fierce. Depends what you are looking for, your skills, etc. There's always staffing/temp agencies that can find SOMETHING if you hit roadblocks. MAX train coverage is good and currently expanding. Many frequent service buses that run 15 mins or better every day. Transit fare is currently $1.70, or about $65 for a monthly pass. (check the Trimet website for specifics). All transit in the downtown corridor is free.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Well amen for staffing agencies....Lol. I imagine there must be A LOT of cycleries where you can find a good bike?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Thanks for you reply gnubler! One of the reasons I visited Portland in the first place was because I had heard that its so easy to get around without a car. Its good to hear from someone who has actually been able to live in the city without owning one. I couldn't believe the number of bicyclists I saw during my visit, amazing. I think the only thing Portlanders seem to love more than their bikes are their dogs (which is fine by me, I love dogs).

My biggest worry is finding a job, I'm already living in an area where its hard to find a job and I don't want to move somewhere thats more expensive to live in but still low on jobs. Hopefully, if I move out there, I won't have to rely on temp agencies too much.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:16 AM

65 posts, read 252,761 times
RE:: BICYCLES...
Portland ranks first in nation for biking to work
Census - The bureau director chooses the city to release 2005 commuting data
Thursday, June 14, 2007
JAMES MAYER
The Oregonian

A larger share of Portlanders commute by bicycle than in any other large city in America, eight times the national average, according to the director of the U.S. Census Bureau, who took note of the statistic during a presentation Wednesday at City Hall.
-clipped-

OregonLive.com: Everything Oregon

RE: JOBS...
I have a feeling (unsubstantiated by statistics or any hard research so you might take this with a grain of salt) that folks with more time under their belt in their respective fields might have an easier time looking for work as opposed to those coming right out of school or in more junior positions. On the other hand there might be a lot of opportunity for those of more junior status to be hired into more intermediate/senior positions if they are relatively accomplished in their field. It seems that there are a lot of younger folks flocking to Portland and I have a feeling (again unsubstantiated) that this somewhat inflates the unemployment figures. I'd love it if someone could cite figures that either confirms or denies my feelings.

Last edited by kelcat; 06-16-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: added info about jobs...

Old 06-16-2007, 12:26 PM

Bottom line no one is going to move anywhere where the jobs are scarce for "whatever reason." In the end, unfortunately, it all comes down to money. We have far to many hypocrites in this world, prancing around as angels and kind doers but should anything happen to you, believe me you will be on your own. I have seen this time and time again to the point where people seldom if ever surprise me. We can fantasize about beautiful trees and mountains to justify our moves but those, in my opinion, are not essential. Then again, some relocate just for what I had mentioned, then they try to figure out how to make a living in a city that "supposedly takes care of people."

The fact that there are SO MANY homeless speaks for itself. Don't get me wrong I love the homeless and a big advocate for their freedom but it's the city's responsibility to provide good jobs, moderate living wage and good housing. This is not a privilege but a RIGHT. A human right in order to embrace and promote a "quality" life. Moving to a city "based on allure" is a big mistake. Ever hear of Hollywood? My advice to you "Three Act Tragedy" is to carefully think this through and figure out how you will live. If I can offer you one thing I'll say this....People love you when you are stable, don't rely on them and are good for small talk. The moment something happens and you need others, you watch them gradually or instantly part ways. In the end it's all about money and security.

You can thank capitalist America for this wonderful social infrastructure.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Thank you so much for your advice Supernova7!

I understand what you mean about the homeless, walking downtown and seeing people (especially those who are in their twenties/thirties) on the sidewalks asking for change definitely makes you nervous about the job situation in the city. Ideally, I would want to have something lined up before I got there but you never know, things fall through so if I was to find myself without a job in Portland it seems like things will be quite difficult. Its certainly something I'll keep in mind.

You are right, no one loves you when you are down and out. If I were to move to Portland there wouldn't be anyone to help if something goes wrong. Its up to me try and plan this out and at least know what I'm getting into. And I really appreciate everyone's comments so far.

I can't imagine moving to Portland just for the greenery (even though it is spectacular). Personally what I love about this city how its feels so much smaller than it is and how much safer it feels than other cities of its size, the fact that I can live there without owning a car, a lack of urban sprawl, its political vibe, and how eco-friendly it is (I have never seen so many people recycle in my life). Those are all very strong selling points. But again, they don't mean anything if I can't afford to live there. I'll keep looking at jobs online and see how that goes.

Now a quick question about housing: are there any parts of downtown that you would not recommend living in? I've heard that Chinatown/Old Town can be kind of a rough area but streets are a part of that neighborhood?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Your welcome! I think you will be fine as long as you plan everything out and keep economics at the forefront. I wish it wasn't so important but anyone who's lived in the "real world" knows that without money you have and are nothing in "this society." With regards to neighborhoods you should be ok anywhere you choose to live. In my research Portland doesn't have any "real ghetto's" like you'll find in the big cities. After having lived in and/or visited many places can tell you that your safety will depend on how you carry yourself, for the most part.

Sure, there are violent people out there, society has made them that way and now the rest of us can observe and be victim to our own creation. I feel that our culture has "severely" dropped the ball and created a social crisis of mega proportions. This "I don't care about anyone but myself" attitude is upsetting and makes you feel that you're in the middle of a war zone. I suggest that you live where you want and don't let negative influences sway you from an area that you really want to live in.

Too many people judge others based on appearance, momentary anger episodes and being down on their luck. This is wrong because you'll never get an accurate picture of the "real person" but more of where they are at in "the moment." Homeless people almost never harass or are violent with anyone. I'm talking about the older homeless and not the young punks who are drifting from city to city for a thrill! Even they are not bad people but you have to watch yourself because as stated before, we live in a misguided / self absorbed culture. Hint: You'll be safer in the big city than any suburb out there. In the city you'll KNOW where you are at. In the suburbs everyone has a pretty smile and the next thing you know you're being buried under someone's porch.

Carry a weapon if it will make you feel safer. For the most part you can avoid conflict if you handle yourself properly.

Yes, have a job lined up. The large homeless population should tell you that the economy is not booming in Portland. You will be facing a lot of stiff competition. You and I are in a similar boat. I'm considering relocating for the very same reasons you mentioned, in fact you nailed some important points but it all comes down to having a good paying stable job.

One thing to remember...Portland has the second highest minimum wage in the U.S. Why does this matter? Well, by law an employer MUST pay you a set minimum regardless for the work you do. At the very least, you should be able to afford a room should you hit a crisis. Of course, in order to LIVE you'll need to command a decent salary. "Decent" to me is AT LEAST high 30's low 40's but if you can double that you can live fairly comfortably.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 AM

A good job is your best oine of defense.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Act Tragedy View Post
Hello!

I visited PDX earlier this spring and I really loved what I saw of the city. Now I'm seriously considering moving here but I have few a questions/concerns.

First of all, how difficult is it to get a job? Any job, even minimum wage jobs. I'm currently under the impression that things are very competitive in Portland right now and that finding any employment may be difficult.

One of the things I love about Portland is how easy it was to get around without a car. Would you recommend living without a car in this city? And what are your opinions on the TriMet (is it safe, clean, etc)? I liked the public transportation the city offers and had no problem with it during my stay but I would just like to hear what others think of it.

Also, because I would ideally like to be car free, I was thinking of living downtown to be closer to the MAX and bus lines. Is downtown generally a safe area to live in? If not, what places would be ideal for a young, single woman to live? (again, keeping in mind that it would need to be near some for of public transportation)

Finally, I've heard mixed things about the citizens of Portland; some people say that Portlanders are the friendliest people around and others say that its difficult to meet people here because much of the population prefers to keep to themselves. I understand that in any city you'll find a wide variety of personalities, but what are your thoughts on Portlanders in general?

Any answers/comments would really be appreciated, thank you!
It's fine.

Maybe I'm not the best person to ask about work, because I'd just move somewhere and get a job. Went to Savannah, and got a job, about 10 years ago for our experimental move to the east coast.

When I was 19, years ago, went to Boise, liked it, and got a job the next day, plus a place to live. First move from home.

Easy answer - move to Portland and get a job. Big city with lots of small big cities equals a lot of jobs.

Friendly? Maybe not in the heart of downtown at night, but in most of the metropolitan area - yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland