Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 37,877 times

Advertisements

Never tried it. Plenty of chances. Is it pickled or.. What the hell do they do to it? Lutefisk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 03:33 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,628,699 times
Food fight!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,599,702 times
Well, the part about Michelle Bachman was right on the money anyway

Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 21,029 times
I have lived in both Portland and Mnpls, and I was attracted to both of these cities for their social and political climates. They share much in common, in terms of their general rejection of crude American individualism, their commitment to larger community and social tolerance. Both cities share a highly educated populace and high quality of life.

Philwithbeard provides an insightful analysis above. I do sense that the "liberal" tradition in Mpls (and in larger Minnesota) is rooted in a deeper history that can be traced to the communitarianism of Scandinavia, Midwest progressive movements, and so on. If you listen to Garrison Keillor's "Prairie Home Companion" on NPR, you'll get a good sense of this history.

That said, Mpls is sorely behind Portland in terms of urban planning and environmental stewardship. The Twin Cities are surrounded by appalling exburban sprawl, and with that comes exburban values, such as living in McMansions and driving SUVs. Minneapolis might be an oasis from this, but you're never too far away from this exburban culture (in fact, it surrounds you) and the shameful leaders that this culture spawns, such as Michele Bachmann. This is exists in Portland as well, of course, but to a much smaller degree.

There do seem to be a lot more Christians in Mpls, but at least in the city, they are the progressive tolerant types with rainbow flags outside indicating that everybody is welcome. Cross into the suburbs however, and you'll find the hate-spewing, fire-breathing version of a Christian God, accompanied with ubiquitous anti-abortion billboards. I don't feel as strong of a religious vibe in Portland.

Environmentalist hippy types are much more prevalent in Portland, as they are everywhere in the Northwest. Almost everybody I know in Portland has a compost bin, whereas this is a rarity in Mpls. Of course you're aware of how far ahead Portland is in terms of mass transit (light rail), urban growth boundary, and so on.

In general, I think people on the "Left Coast," including in Portland, are more laid-back than in Mpls and the Midwest. The two cities are influenced by their surrounding larger cultures. There is more of a feeling of Protestant austerity in Mpls and people are more guarded and reserved around outsiders. Portlanders generally work fewer hours than people in Mpls.

Both cities have great progressive traditions, so you cannot go wrong. Although I can call Mpls more of a home, I prefer Portland.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,112,132 times
Thank you for the insight, mack0174.

I've been to Mpls. and I agree that it has a very nice "homey" feel to it and I like for church to be welcoming to everyone. After all, Jesus broke bread with the moneychangers, tax collecters and other unsaved individuals. Jesus didn't leave them in the dark but went amongst to show them the Light.

I believe that when it comes to Biblical teaching, the Word of God is the Truth but that does not give anyone the "right" to cram their beliefs down someone else's throat but that we who call ourselves Christians are called to share the Light, just like Jesus.

Sorry, I will get off the pulpit now.

The idea of composting turns me off completely because:

A) I see no need for it,
B) I'm lazy and would rather pay a slightly higher disposal bill, and
C) It is SMELLY and attracts vermin.

However, I completely agree with the environmentalism and urban planning....to a point.

Some of us have large families and need the SUVs and the McMansions (if you consider a 4, 5, or 6 bedroom home, with 2 1/2 -3 1/2 Baths, and a 2-3 car garage on a minimum 1/4-1/3 acre lot, a McMansion).

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM

8 posts, read 21,029 times
I see that I misunderstood your original post? I thought you were looking for the most "liberal" city, not a McMansion-ridden exburb populated by religious zealots. Perhaps you should consider the U.S. South?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack0174 View Post
I see that I misunderstood your original post? I thought you were looking for the most "liberal" city, not a McMansion-ridden exburb populated by religious zealots. Perhaps you should consider the U.S. South?
Yes, I am looking at "liberal cities" to include the surrounding metropolitan area but I'm not looking to personally re-enact "Green Acres".

If composting is your thing then knock yourself out, but quoting Austin Powers "that's not my bag, baby".

Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,752,998 times
For the record, compost bins are extremely common in Minneapolis. My extended family members all have ones purchased at low cost from the city, and some neighborhoods now have official compost recycling programs.

I agree that the exurbs of Minneapolis are sprawling and can be conservative, but in the city itself you'll find plenty of ultra-liberal progressive types, and not a lot of religion. (although you will find that, too, and I do agree that the larger MN DFL is populist and has plenty of religious -- although of the tolerant, open, help out your fellow man type -- influence. (and within the city itself many of the churches are active in the community and are very active in social justice sorts of roles.)

If you liked Paul Wellstone (you still frequently see Wellstone stickers around in Minneapolis, and people will tell you exactly where they were when they heard he died; he's definitely the local MN liberal political hero) you will like Minneapolis. But then, you'd probably also like Portland. I have family members and friends -- very liberal types -- who have lived in both (have myself only lived in Minneapolis; popped in this forum looking for something else and this thread caught my eye) and they (both the ones currently in Minneapolis as well as those now in Portland) enjoyed both cities. I think you can rest easy knowing that as far as politics you can't go wrong with either option. Michelle Bachmann is an annoyance in MN, but unfortunately given her now national-reputation and willingness to provide "good" sound clips to the national media you really can't avoid hearing her wherever you happen to be.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:54 AM

Thank you for the insight. I didn't know about the compost bins in Minneapolis. Somehow, it never came up in conversation during our visit last year when we stopped at a few open houses. It gives us some food for thought but not enough to turn us away from the Twin Cities.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM

33 posts, read 78,688 times
I think your original post had a question about racial diversity.

Beyond reading statistics, I can tell you right now Minneapolis is more diverse. Hands down.

As for Liberal... that's a personal perception type question. I don't think I can answer for you which city you will think is more to your definition of 'liberal'.

There's a lot of self-proclaimed Liberals out here in the Pacific Northwest who are as closed minded to other view points as some Southern Conservatives I know - only their ideals are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Somebody used the word 'pretentious.'

As for weather, if you're from ALASKA, you'll be more than straight in the Twin Cities. I prefer five months of cold and snow (including sun!) to 8 months of clouds and rain - but again, that's a personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland