Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 AM

158 posts, read 493,229 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if dogs can hear an unborn baby's heartbeat.

As of today I'm 13weeks pregnant and for a few weeks now, baker my staffy has been licking my lower abdomen where baby is. She wil even rest her head near baby and at night she insists on sleepin in-between my legs with her head near baby.

I had my 1st scan last Fri which was amazing! Baby had a very strong heartbeat n was jumping around like a little jumping bean!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM

563 posts, read 1,498,774 times
I wouldn't be surprised. dogs can sense just before people have seizures. And we all know their hearing is much better than ours.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,317,834 times
I don't know if it can actually hear the baby's heartbeat, but it sure can feel there is something going on in your tummy.
A woman I know understood she was pregnant when her pets started acting weirdly around her belly... They felt it before she did!

Old 12-06-2010, 02:32 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,562 times
I don't believe that the dog can hear the heartbeat but they are very much aware of the change your body is going through and pregnancy. My dog would do the same and she was very protective of me during my pregnancy. When the baby would move I would put her paws on my belly and she would freak out. She would woof like OMG WTF IS HAPPENING.....IS GOING TO POP OUT! The look on her face priceless. When I went to the hospital to give birth, I think she thought I was going on holiday and when I returned with a baby she was like OH NO! I know you didnt come back with that thingy that screams and crys and pulls tails. I think she thought my mom would take the baby with her when she left. But after a few days she became over protective and now they are the best of friends. FYI even more so when they are toddlers because toddlers are a snack source.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
well their ears are used to high pitches...but i bet he can smell something is different about you, but that you are not sick. they can usually smell sickness as well. but the dog probably "smells" pregnancy or something differnt going on inside you.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,854 times
yep i'll bet they can smell the change in hormones. i read that belgian malinois dogs can actually smell chemical imbalances in people so i wouldn't be surprised at all.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,168 times
I am not sure...but even before I knew I was pregnant, my dogs were so much more clingy and protective. I can't sit down now without one of them being right next to me.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 PM

89 posts, read 175,046 times
Before hearing anything, they "smell" that you are pregnant and they adapt accordingly most of the times. Most of them get clingy, protective, more affectionate. Some will start nesting, dragging your clothes and making some sort of a nest out of them. Quite annoying if you ask me.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,849 times
I think they can sense it somehow also. Im 4 months prego and my American Bulldog feels the need to snuggle up against my stomach now...He was fine for 6 years with just sleeping at my feet- but since Ive been pregnant hes definitely been more of a snugglebug up at my belly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy