Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times

Advertisements

Although this is not my second pregnancy. It will make it my second pregnancy hoping to result in a live birth.

When did you tell family and friends you were pregnant with your second child? Did you wait longer than the first or did you tell them sooner.

And what differences did you experience with your second pregnancy?

This time around I barely have any sickness, but an adversion to all things spicy (I love hot food even though the mildest black pepper sprinkled on eggs will have me gagging for milk).

Let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,559 times
I've never been pregnant, but my best friend had her second (first was a miscarriage, which she told virtually no one about). She is married to a pediatrician and she's a pediatric nurse. They waited until 19 or 20 weeks because she was confident by then that she wouldn't lose the baby. They only told family then. They waited until 28 weeks??? to announce to everyone. They were very concerned about possible complications.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I've never been pregnant, but my best friend had her second (first was a miscarriage, which she told virtually no one about). She is married to a pediatrician and she's a pediatric nurse. They waited until 19 or 20 weeks because she was confident by then that she wouldn't lose the baby. They only told family then. They waited until 28 weeks??? to announce to everyone. They were very concerned about possible complications.
Wow...but I do understand their reluctance to make the annoucement.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,559 times
Well, both of them worked with neonatal kids so they've seen some pretty horrific things. They wanted to make sure "the kid", as they called the baby, didn't have any genetic mutations, etc. (as best as anyone can know before the actual birth) before they said anything. They were very worried about the miscarriage, but their beautiful little girl was born just fine.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Although this is not my second pregnancy. It will make it my second pregnancy hoping to result in a live birth.

When did you tell family and friends you were pregnant with your second child? Did you wait longer than the first or did you tell them sooner.

And what differences did you experience with your second pregnancy?

This time around I barely have any sickness, but an adversion to all things spicy (I love hot food even though the mildest black pepper sprinkled on eggs will have me gagging for milk).

Let me know!
First, let me say congrats on this pregnancy and that I'm sorry for your past loss.

We are currently about 6 months pregnant with our second child.

With our first, we announced to family and close friends around 13 weeks or so and to the general public when I started showing (can't even remember when that was anymore!!). We lost a pregnancy in between DS and our current pregnancy, so were more hesitant to tell even family this time around and ultimately waited until about 15-16 weeks this time.

Unlike the first pregnancy, which was "easy" by all accounts, this one has been fraught with complications, so there are still people in our lives who don't know yet (of course, they haven't seen me recently, which would be a dead giveaway since I resemble an apple on a stick right now!).

As for differences between the pregnancies, this time around has had many more complications and scares, I had some morning sickness/vomiting (as compared with none in the first pregnancy), and am generally more exhausted this time around (though keeping up with a 3 yo probably has a lot to do with that!). I think we're a lot more anxious this time around, having now had some scary experiences. Although I was anxious with DS, I think I just assumed everything was going to be fine a little more than I have been able to since.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
First, let me say congrats on this pregnancy and that I'm sorry for your past loss.

We are currently about 6 months pregnant with our second child.

With our first, we announced to family and close friends around 13 weeks or so and to the general public when I started showing (can't even remember when that was anymore!!). We lost a pregnancy in between DS and our current pregnancy, so were more hesitant to tell even family this time around and ultimately waited until about 15-16 weeks this time.

Unlike the first pregnancy, which was "easy" by all accounts, this one has been fraught with complications, so there are still people in our lives who don't know yet (of course, they haven't seen me recently, which would be a dead giveaway since I resemble an apple on a stick right now!).

As for differences between the pregnancies, this time around has had many more complications and scares, I had some morning sickness/vomiting (as compared with none in the first pregnancy), and am generally more exhausted this time around (though keeping up with a 3 yo probably has a lot to do with that!). I think we're a lot more anxious this time around, having now had some scary experiences. Although I was anxious with DS, I think I just assumed everything was going to be fine a little more than I have been able to since.
Thank you EWAG! I am sorry for your loss as well. What scary experiences did you have with this pregnancy, if you do not mind sharing?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Thank you EWAG! I am sorry for your loss as well. What scary experiences did you have with this pregnancy, if you do not mind sharing?
Thanks. I know everyone experiences loss in their own way, but we had a really hard time with the miscarriage. I think our scares in the third pregnancy have been scarier because of having lost a pregnancy, if that makes sense?

This time around, we had an instance of not being able to find the fetal heartbeat, requiring an emergency ultrasound to make sure little one was still ok, and a (we now know) false positive on the sequential screen for trisomy 18, which led to us choosing to do an amnio, which carries its own (minor) risk of miscarriage. Fortunately, the extra testing all came back showing an active, healthy baby with all the proper number of limbs, chromosomes, etc. I know people have different views on sequential screens and genetic testing, but for us, we prefer to know what we're dealing with rather than not know until delivery.

I am wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,813 times
After miscarriage number 1, we ALWAYS waited until well into the 2nd trimester. We've had 3 miscarriages, and just had baby #4 in February. Explaining away a loss is so hard...I like to wait until at LEAST 24 weeks to tell.

Best Wishes!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I'd never had a miscarriage. It came up with someone else at work announcing, then everyone in the room looked over at me. I'm a terrible liar so I just confirmed, yes, I'm pregnant too. I was a bit off on my dates, so I thought I was only 2 months along. I was actually 3.

I think it depends on how the mom feels about it. I had one coworker who told everyone as soon as the stick turned pink; another who waited so long people were starting to ask, and she still denied it!

ETA I"m thinking back on the conversation... I think I was actually about 15 weeks, but thought I was only 11.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,628 times
I think both times we waited til almost the end of 1st trimester or beginning 2nd trimester. It was really a matter of Dr appts/how things were going based decision. Also- we were going to see family at Thanksgiving so that helped determine for the 1st one and 2nd one with 1 side of the extended family. I believe the grandparents and most of my close friends knew before then. We had fun and got creative for the baby announcements. 1st kid we did personalized pink and blue M&M's. I think we just put them in a bowl and waited for people to figure it out at Turkey Dinner! 2nd time around we had the cake tell his Granddad he was having his 5th great grandchild.

Congratulations!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy