Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times

Advertisements

hi,
can the parents decide the sex, and with what accuracy level?
thanks!

please post references if you can. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
What I remember from our infertility days=

The washing process for sperm causes the lighter (boy?) sperm and the heavier (girl?) sperm to rise and sink from the centrifuge. The Dr. (hypothetically) would then be able to fill the syringe from the bottom or top of the container depending on what gender was desired. HOWEVER, I doubt finding a Dr. willing to "play God" that much or make any kind of representation that he / she could supply a baby of a certain gender is going to be possible - not in this country anyway.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
There is a process that goes hand in hand with IVF that allows you to choose the gender. I don't remember the name off the top of my head but I do remember that it was an extra $2,500 on top of the normal IVF cost.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Technically yes, but good luck finding a doctor willing to do it.

There are washing methods like Sabinerose mentioned that separate the heavier and lighter sperm (can't recall which gender is which) and then go through an insemination or IVF with the preferred gender. That only tips the odds in one direction or the other, it's not a guarantee and many facilities have abandoned the practice.

You could also have genetic testing done on your embryos before transfer, which is becoming more popular especially for those at high risk for having children with genetic disorders. The problem there is that you're taking a cell or few from an embryo that only have a few cells to begin with. Extracting cells for genetic testing this way increases the risk of miscarriage and developmental issues. I doubt many doctors would be willing to put your embryo quality at risk just to choose the gender, but I imagine they are out there.

The only reference I have is myself, working in a fertility lab and hearing about these methods from those who are more experienced than myself.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
hi,
can the parents decide the sex, and with what accuracy level?
thanks!

please post references if you can. :-)
While there are methods of shifting the odds, there are no guarantees aside from testing embryos, which, as mentioned above, can cause developmental issues and miscarriages. However, you have a 100% chance of getting a child of the gender you want if you adopt an older child.

I would, seriously, recommend you not have children if you are set on one gender. Or, at least, give up any babies born of the wrong gender to couples who actually want them.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Technically yes, but good luck finding a doctor willing to do it.

There are washing methods like Sabinerose mentioned that separate the heavier and lighter sperm (can't recall which gender is which) and then go through an insemination or IVF with the preferred gender. That only tips the odds in one direction or the other, it's not a guarantee and many facilities have abandoned the practice.

You could also have genetic testing done on your embryos before transfer, which is becoming more popular especially for those at high risk for having children with genetic disorders. The problem there is that you're taking a cell or few from an embryo that only have a few cells to begin with. Extracting cells for genetic testing this way increases the risk of miscarriage and developmental issues. I doubt many doctors would be willing to put your embryo quality at risk just to choose the gender, but I imagine they are out there.

The only reference I have is myself, working in a fertility lab and hearing about these methods from those who are more experienced than myself.
This is a accurate answer - yes, they can tell but the testing (PGD) is expensive, and might result in damage to the embryo. I *think* some RE's might be willing to do it if there is a specific gender related birth defect or in the interest of "family balancing" (if you already have 4 boys and want a daughter, etc)

I would suggest NOT posting this question on any ivf or infertility sites - nothing bothers posters who are desperate for a baby of any gender than people who ONLY want a son or daughter.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy