Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I happen to feel differently. We have the technology to prevent a lot of the pain and complications associated with childbirth. Why would I try to play it cavewoman-style when I don't have to?

Your wife can do whatever she wants; she'll be the one feeling all that pain, after all. I just hope you're not pressuring her. I'll be damned if I let anybody pressure me into having a natural birth when it is the exact opposite of what I want. Drug me up, cut me if you need to, wake me up when it's over. That's how I want it.
Ah no she educated me =), she believes a moms body is meant to deliver. I was all about the Doctors, I was raised to believe in our hospitals, which are great but not necessary for birth.

Did you know there are studies going on right now that might be able to correlate misbehaving children later on in life with a drugged birth?

Those studies are also trying to prove that a mother is supposed to be the first to hold the baby not for the baby to go into a plastic chamber with needles and wires.

As a baby would you want to see the world for the first time in this:

Or this:

Also these studies can attribute formula as a possible reason for kids not developing correctly, many mothers don't even know that the first breast feeding is so important as Colostrum is transferred to the baby, with formula that is missed.

Also there the abdominal problems you can have later on by having a multiple c-sections(one you have one, you are more than likely going to have another) is making some women not being able to exercise.

Listen I am a technology freak, I work in Silicon Valley as a software engineer, but there are some things technology cannot improve on and a healthy mother having a baby is one of them.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-10-2007 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:36 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,260 times
The two things are not exclusionary.

I had my first (low risk) birth in a hospital. I gave them a birthing plan which included no episiostomy, no epidural, no pain meds of any kind, no pitocin unless I'd gone over 24 hours from time of water break, etc.

Here's what happened: they tried VERY HARD to get me to take the epidural. They tried very hard to convince me I "needed" an episiotomy. They tried to get me to agree to Pitocin 2 hours after my water broke. Iwouldn't do any of it, but it was SO stressful to be dealing with it during labor!!

So...in the end, my baby was born how I"d wanted but guess what? She could not breathe and they had no idea why. She was rushed to the NICU and all of a sudden I was VERY grateful I was in a hospital with a NICU.

Hospitals need to change the way they approach childbirth, but I don't think being in a hospital, in and of itself, is a problem.

The c-section rate in the US is appalling but there is more going into it than just "hospitals." Women ask for c-sections regularly--they think it's easier, more convenient, etc. Doctors opt for c-sections when there is any risk b/c this is a crazy litigious society we live in and they know if they go ahead with a vaginal birth and something goes wrong they'll be sued for not doing a c-section.

BTW, I used a midwife for my 2nd child, but still in hospital. Was able to hold her the moment she was born, she roomed in with me, etc. No intervention--but different hospital from the first one. Very different!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:46 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Ah no she educated me =), she believes a moms body is meant to deliver. I was all about the Doctors, I was raised to believe in our hospitals, which are great but not necessary for birth.

Did you know there are studies going on right now that might be able to correlate misbehaving children later on in life with a drugged birth?
I've heard about those. Most doctors think they're B.S., just like studies that link vaccines to autism.

Stop trying to sell homebirth to me. I'm not buying. Your wife can do whatever she wants; I couldn't care less. However, I think it's extremely arrogant...since you're a man...to try to make me feel one iota guilty for wanting to give birth in a hospital. No offense, but how dare you...and who do you think you are? I find the tone of this whole thread pretty offensive and patronizing.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Did you know that Doctors are not even trained to give natural births?
They don't even see a natural birth in school.

You cannot deny the statistics:

(CNN) -- An estimated 2 million babies die within their first 24 hours each year worldwide and the United States has the second worst newborn mortality rate in the developed world, according to a new report.

CNN.com - U.S. has second worst newborn death rate in modern world, report says - May 10, 2006
I had a fabulous doctor, I trusted her completely AND she was trained in natural child birth but was completely open about me preferring an epidural. Due to a disc bulge in my lower back, I feared the pain of back labor.

I am ALL for people choosing their birth experience, however YOU will not convince me that being in a place where critical care is available can be a bad thing.

I had a wonderful suite size room, with a couch for family, it didn't look like a hospital room at all. My daughter remained with me after she was born rather then being taken away to a nursary.

I knew should I have a problem OR my daughter that medical assistance was close at hand, the helicopter pad on the roof could have, if needed take her to the Neonatal ICU in Fort Worth if needed.

I simply would not have been comfortable trying to give birth at homewith someone who did was not a doctor.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I've heard about those. Most doctors think they're B.S., just like studies that link vaccines to autism.

Stop trying to sell homebirth to me. I'm not buying. Your wife can do whatever she wants; I couldn't care less. However, I think it's extremely arrogant...since you're a man...to try to make me feel one iota guilty for wanting to give birth in a hospital. No offense, but how dare you...and who do you think you are? I find the tone of this whole thread pretty offensive and patronizing.
Again, I am not trying to sell anything, I am just trying to educate my fellow Americans in a public forum. Me being a guy has nothing to do with education of birth, I will be a father soon and have seen many births.

The crux of this thread was never me telling the mothers they are stupid, it was telling America to wake up we are being lied to again, and it is for capital gain.

I am upset at the system, I had more belief in it and it is bogus.

BTW we are not even having a home birth, we are having a birth at the Midwifes birthing center.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
The two things are not exclusionary.

I had my first (low risk) birth in a hospital. I gave them a birthing plan which included no episiostomy, no epidural, no pain meds of any kind, no pitocin unless I'd gone over 24 hours from time of water break, etc.

Here's what happened: they tried VERY HARD to get me to take the epidural. They tried very hard to convince me I "needed" an episiotomy. They tried to get me to agree to Pitocin 2 hours after my water broke. Iwouldn't do any of it, but it was SO stressful to be dealing with it during labor!!

So...in the end, my baby was born how I"d wanted but guess what? She could not breathe and they had no idea why. She was rushed to the NICU and all of a sudden I was VERY grateful I was in a hospital with a NICU.

Hospitals need to change the way they approach childbirth, but I don't think being in a hospital, in and of itself, is a problem.

The c-section rate in the US is appalling but there is more going into it than just "hospitals." Women ask for c-sections regularly--they think it's easier, more convenient, etc. Doctors opt for c-sections when there is any risk b/c this is a crazy litigious society we live in and they know if they go ahead with a vaginal birth and something goes wrong they'll be sued for not doing a c-section.

BTW, I used a midwife for my 2nd child, but still in hospital. Was able to hold her the moment she was born, she roomed in with me, etc. No intervention--but different hospital from the first one. Very different!
I agree Hospitals do need to change their approach, in Europe midwifes work right out of hospitals some of the time.

The whole process of coming into a hospital, not eating during labor, getting bugged to be drugged, getting cut and having the baby laying down is really opposite of what is in most natural birth books.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:31 PM

NO ONE bugged me about medication. I did alot of reading about the different methods while I was pregnant, discussed them with my doctor and decided on an epidural. My choice, no one elses. I also did not have an episiotomy but why would that be a BAD thing if you did? If they need to cut you, they do so you heal up better afterward. If you tear your more likely to have a bigger scar.

AND as far as not eating during labor, you are aware there is a good reason for that right? Just in case you end up having to have a C Section, they don't have to worry about you aspirating what you have eaten. Not too mention that many women throw up while in labor. I didn't want to eat anyway.

Frankly as a man, you really have NO actual experience in this. You have never been pregnant, you have never given birth and no WATCHING child birth does not qualify as experience.

Because none of this is going on in your body, your perception of it is VERY different then the one of the women giving birth.

AND I think everyone today is aware of the options, the movie you spoke of has been well publicized. You talk of this like you have NEW information that we should all sit up and take notice, this is really OLD stuff.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
NO ONE bugged me about medication. I did alot of reading about the different methods while I was pregnant, discussed them with my doctor and decided on an epidural. My choice, no one elses. I also did not have an episiotomy but why would that be a BAD thing if you did? If they need to cut you, they do so you heal up better afterward. If you tear your more likely to have a bigger scar.

AND as far as not eating during labor, you are aware there is a good reason for that right? Just in case you end up having to have a C Section, they don't have to worry about you aspirating what you have eaten. Not too mention that many women throw up while in labor. I didn't want to eat anyway.

Frankly as a man, you really have NO actual experience in this. You have never been pregnant, you have never given birth and no WATCHING child birth does not qualify as experience.

Because none of this is going on in your body, your perception of it is VERY different then the one of the women giving birth.

AND I think everyone today is aware of the options, the movie you spoke of has been well publicized. You talk of this like you have NEW information that we should all sit up and take notice, this is really OLD stuff.
The movie is not even out yet, we saw a prescreen. I know it is not new, I am wanted to discuss why we are so different in the US?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The movie is not even out yet, we saw a prescreen. I know it is not new, I am wanted to discuss why we are so different in the US?
Your not discussing, your making WILD sweeping generalizations about a process to which you are ONLY a bystander. Is it any wonder that women who have actually GIVEN BIRTH are not sitting up and taking notice?

Think about it.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Of course some women are still giving birth at home or out in a rice paddy or wherever, and most of the time it turns out fine, but since there is no way of knowing when an emergency will occur during childbirth, you're just taking unnecessary risk if you don't go to a hospital. Most hospitals now are trying to acheive a homelike, less sterile atmosphere. Best of both worlds.
Even though my first two births were uneventful, my third baby had to be rushed to ICU, so I was glad to be at a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy