Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times

Advertisements

Pregnancy isn't so bad, and its very cool when you feel the baby move. I was extra tired and went to bed earlier than normal, and towards the end I felt a bit akward from carrying the extra weight, but nothing major. It's totally worth it. I'm a big baby, if I can survive it, anyone can. And I'm now thinking about doing it again! Yeah, the birth is not too fun, but from what I hear, epidurals work wonders. And you forget all that pain when you see your precious baby.

Last edited by sbd78; 11-16-2007 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
feeling the fetus moving- When it's YOUR baby that you feel moving in there it's the most amazing feeling in the world. It starts out with little flutters like a butterfly is in there and you almost aren't sure what happens. Don't worry, it doesn't feel like a linebacker kicking you from the inside or anything.

feeling your belly get larger month by month and realizing that you have no control over that- It's not your belly getting larger, it's YOUR baby growing larger. Again, wear that large belly proudly like a badge. It's YOUR baby!! I remember anxiously awaiting "proof" that there was a life inside me and wanting my belly to pop out. It doesn't hurt- it's a gradual thing.

feeling your pelvic joints loosen up to accomodate the fetus- I never fel that and I don't know of anyone who has. Again, it's a gradual process that starts at conception. The one feeling I recall in the beginning were slight pings, almost like rubberbands inside of me- even before I knew I was pregnant. It didn't hurt but it was explained to me as my body shifting and adjusting to ready itself for the baby. It will not affect your walking or moving at all. Trust me when I tell you, you will not feel it. I PROMISE!

shortness of breath later in the pregnancy as the uterus expands into the ribcage.... If you have healthy lungs, that likely won't happen and if it does, it's not severe, its more of an annoyance. You won't be running any marathons in your last trimester- and you might walk or waddle a little slower than normal. The baby will move around a bit and will sometimes be higher in your ribs- which can tickle at times. And sometimes he will sit lower - near your bladder.

then there's the birth itself and the loss of control that comes with that. I know exactly what you are worried about there, as do most women. Yes, control can be lost but it's handled discreetly and you'll never know if it happens. It was a huge fear that I had but in the end when I was holding a beautiful new baby in my arms, it was the absolute last thing on my mind- and I never felt the need to ask (and it's 14 years later)

There is nothing inconvenient or disgusting about being pregnant and having a baby. I count the nine months of my pregnancy as one of the greatest times of my life and the day my son was born was by far the best day of my life. When people tell you it's worth it, believe them. Every moment is a miracle that you can't see or even feel at first.

You then begin to feel the miracle in the flutters inside of you. Then you begin to see evidence of the miracle in your expanding body. And then the miracle presents itself and the hours prior are erased from your memory when that little bundle of joy cries out for the first time. The love that you feel for someone that you have never seen before is overwhelming. And the sense of familiarity is shocking. My baby was everything I expected him to be- I can't find the words to describe the feeling, but in my soul, I recognized him the moment I laid eyes on him.

Don't deprive yourself of the opportunity to experience this just because you have irrational fears. Go talk to an obstetrician about it. Talk to one of your pregnant or recently delivered friends about it.

Believe me, if it was that bad, millions of us would not be doing it- and many of us do it more than once.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
Please
Adopt
When I was 14 I lived with my uncle and aunt. They were my legal guardians. (long story)
When I was about 15 they adopted two babies. One girl and a boy.
They were my cousins just like any of my other cousins. And they were my uncle and aunts kid just as if my aunt had given birth to them.
Now as a teenager I hated changing there diapers lol, but I grew to love them more like a brother and sister than my cousins.
So I say. Adopt.
And something for the men.
Be a real man. Get a vasectomy. Don’t expect a women to get an operation or take pills most of her life.
Anyway , that’s my opinion on this matter. Your body,your choice.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Things that scare me, in no particular order: feeling the fetus moving, feeling your belly get larger month by month and realizing that you have no control over that, feeling your pelvic joints loosen up to accomodate the fetus, shortness of breath later in the pregnancy as the uterus expands into the ribcage....then there's the birth itself and the loss of control that comes with that. All of these things scare me.
I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with twins at age 41. First and last! We've been trying to get pregnant for 3 yrs and after many medical procedures, we're finally here.

I've been fearful of becoming a mom - can I do this right? Will I not drop or hurt my babies by accident? Will DH & I adapt ok to this amazing change in our lives?

The pregnancy itself hasn't been that much of an issue. To be honest, feeling the babies move is something I really look forward to - I think in first pregnancies, it's a very subtle feeling. In fact, I'm pretty sure the fluttering this morning was them. It's pretty amazing. I've felt my uterus expanding - it's not painful - just a strange sensation. Everything is pretty subtle...even your expanding belly. I showed early because of the twins but that was exciting for me as we've been waiting so long.

I think it's natural to have some anxiety. I have a friend who felt much like you do - always said how much she would never want to see an ultrasound ("fetus looks like an alien!"), scared to death of pregnancy and wanted to wait longer. Her DH was more than ready though.

She's pregnant now, too - 16weeks along - and all those fears that she had have dissipated. I've gone with her to 2 appts and she was disappointed the 2nd time around because they didn't do an ultra-sound (doppler to hear heartbeat instead).

Anyway - as a PP pointed out, every pregnancy is different. I've had no morning sickness, no real discomfort despite carrying 2 babies - it's been a relative breeze so far & I am grateful. That could be the way a future pregnancy for you turns out. You just never know.

Good luck as you come to terms with how/if you'd like to create your family.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
It is nice, cause your husband treats you REALLY nice during the pregnancy... a bonus. It really is not that bad, until about 9 months - it really lasts 10 months - count the weeks! But by then you are in the homestretch.

And buy a "body pillow" to sleep with, that is the #1 thing to alleviate the hip aches.
And as for the birth, get the drugs... you won't feel a thing.

OR as above poster said, adopt. Or if your feelings are severe, perhaps professional counseling if it is something you and your husband feel you need to work through.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
It really is not that bad, until about 9 months - it really lasts 10 months - count the weeks!
This is probably off topic, but I always found this confusing, and have heard a lot of people say pregnancy actually lasts 10 months. A full term pregnancy is 40 weeks, but if you multiply 4 weeks (aproximately 1 month) by 9 months, it comes to 36 weeks, so it would seem like you are actually pregnant for 10 months if you go full term, or 40 weeks. But I went full term with my son and he was born exactly 9 months after my estimated conception date, so this was confusing. I think it's because of this-You start counting how many weeks pregnant you are by the date your last menstrual period begins. This is confusing though, because you aren't actually pregnant yet when you get your period, this is just the beginning of your cycle. Conception normally occurs approximately 2 weeks after this. And then I think the other extra two weeks come from the fact that most months are actually longer than 4 weeks (or 28 days) they are more like 30-31 days. So if you add it all up, you are actually only pregnant for 9 months. Sorry for my long, drawn out explanation.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,935 times
Smile The best feeling in the world

I went through it twice. I missed being pregnant for weeks after. Feeling the fluttery kicks and knowing I was growing a human inside my body was so cool. The websites available to new moms and what to expect is enough to take away any fear you may have. That first year of that childs life is so delicate. I would treasure those 3 am feedings. I would do it over a hundred times if I could. Raising my kids has been fun too. They are at the age now that we can take them to fun places. One is now studying piano. To watch them learn at every stage is amazing. Love, surround them with love. We need to love to be loved.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:52 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Well, we adopted our son as an newborn infant, so I obviously know nothing personally about pregnancy, but I can tell you that being the parent to a child is sooo wonderful! Children are a precious gift.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I'm a woman in my early 30's who is absolutely terrified of pregnancy. My husband and I have been married a few years now, and he would like to start a family. I'm open to being a mom, but I am absolutely terrified to be pregnant. I am not sure that this fear is something I could ever get over.

Anyone else ever had this fear, and if so, how did you get over it?
I personally have never met or heard of anyone being terrified of pregnancy itself. It's not a walk in the park for everyone but it is usually not a phenomenon that causes "terror" unless you give birth to an alien or Rosemary's baby.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:46 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
I am currently pregnant with baby #2. We needed a little help getting pregnant with number 1 and were in the process of deciding when and if we wanted to get pregnant again. I realized I really hated being pregnant and the childbirth experience I had was really not good for several reasons.

All the while I was torn over "should we or shouldnt we", little did I know I was already pregnant AGAIN and had absolutely no clue because my cycle is so "off" schedule.

What I am trying to concentrate on now is just taking the best care of myself and the little one I have and getting him on track with dropping the bottle etc so I don't end up with two on a bottle. That and thinking about what I can do to make this next birth experience better than the last. These are things a person CAN CONTROL.

In the end, if you want a child that is a part of the both of you, it's really the only way. You just have to decide what you want more, your control or a baby. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy