Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:57 PM

165 posts, read 241,190 times

Advertisements

We are planning for a trip sometime next month to a spot that around 500 miles (8-9 hours) from our place. My wife is currently 8 weeks pregnant. By the time we take the trip (if at all we go), she would be somewhere between 10-12 weeks.

Is it okay to travel that long distance by car during pregnancy? Will it affect the baby in any way? So far she doesn't have morning sickness or nausea. Except for frequent wash room trips, some slight food aversions and very mild tiredness, she is feeling perfectly alright. Does anyone any experience on this? Even if it is of slightest risk, we would skip the trip. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Her doctor will advise.

Most auto travel is fine during a normal pregnancy without complications. The first trimester is often filled with uncertainty due to possibility of early miscarriage, so sometimes people aren't comfortable being potentially far from their care providers.

I took a weekend road trip of a couple hundred miles when I was 10-15 days pregnant (didn't know yet), and did a road trip from Kansas City to Asheville, NC when I was 19 weeks pregnant (doctor okayed, I'd had no issues of concern).

I just got okayed to make a 500 mile (one way) car trip in my 32nd week, as well, as long as I show no signs of preterm labor that crop up in the next few weeks and continue to measure on target.

Typically, unless issues like spotting, concerning ultrasounds, problematic heartbeat, etc. have come up, travel isn't contraindicated, but a conversation with her OBGYN will clear it up.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 PM

76 posts, read 99,380 times
Unless she has any complications, travel at this time is fine. Travel at the very end of pregnancy can be more complicated.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,756 times
I went on a 7 hour trip when I was 17 weeks pregnant and the only type of complications I had from it was my body (mainly legs hands and feet) swelled really bad. Depending on the pregnancy because every person is different. I was put on bed rest for 3 weeks after I got back because I had swelled so bad and was retaining so much water, but I also had a difficult pregnancy. Depending on how her pregnancy is affecting her I'd say she would be just fine as long as she is not having any complications and her Dr o'clock it.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Personally, I wouldn't worry. I'm going to be going to a friend's cabin that's 4 hours away in a few weeks when I'll be 33 weeks pregnant. It didn't even occur to me to worry about it. My pregnancy hasn't had any complications and often I don't feel pregnant at all.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Seriously? I'm 31 weeks and definitely feel MASSIVELY pregnant. No complications, either, though.

Still taking a 16-hour, round trip, road trip in two weeks, but, yeah. DEFINITELY feel pregnant. Nothing but kicks and punches and Braxton Hicks contractions.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:54 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Seriously? I'm 31 weeks and definitely feel MASSIVELY pregnant. No complications, either, though.

Still taking a 16-hour, round trip, road trip in two weeks, but, yeah. DEFINITELY feel pregnant. Nothing but kicks and punches and Braxton Hicks contractions.
Well, yeah, I get a lot of kicks. They are so constant that I guess I'm just used to them. I'm carrying very oddly though. I measured my waist and I'm only 1.5 inches bigger now than I was pre-pregnancy. I lost weight in the first 4 months and I guess just switched from stomach fat to baby. It's weird. I am wearing maternity pants for the first time ever today, actually. Mostly though, my baby just seems very vertical. I can feel her under my ribs. She's more up and down than out right now. I'm sure that will change eventually, right? I expected it to have changed by now, honestly.

I would be worried, but I'm at the point where I'm going to the midwives every 2 weeks now and they aren't concerned about my weight or measurements at all. So, I see no reason to worry.

So, in my case, my "road trip" in a few weeks is certainly still on. It doesn't seem like a road trip because it's a trip I've made many times, but I guess it is still 4 hours in the car each way.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Well, yeah, I get a lot of kicks. They are so constant that I guess I'm just used to them. I'm carrying very oddly though. I measured my waist and I'm only 1.5 inches bigger now than I was pre-pregnancy. I lost weight in the first 4 months and I guess just switched from stomach fat to baby. It's weird. I am wearing maternity pants for the first time ever today, actually. Mostly though, my baby just seems very vertical. I can feel her under my ribs. She's more up and down than out right now. I'm sure that will change eventually, right? I expected it to have changed by now, honestly.

I would be worried, but I'm at the point where I'm going to the midwives every 2 weeks now and they aren't concerned about my weight or measurements at all. So, I see no reason to worry.

So, in my case, my "road trip" in a few weeks is certainly still on. It doesn't seem like a road trip because it's a trip I've made many times, but I guess it is still 4 hours in the car each way.
Mine's eight hours each way. It's a common trip for me (to hometown area), but will be less comfortable than usual. Still, apart from personal comfort, my OB says it's a safe trip to make. I'm at regular checkups every two weeks by this point, and no concerns have come up.

As far as measurements, baby is measuring on target, but I'm measuring large due to excess amniotic fluid (no gestational diabetes, though, and no HBP, so nobody's concerned about the excess amniotic fluid). However, my actual weight gain has been pretty average, 15 lbs at this point. I didn't gain much in the first trimester due to weeks upon weeks of near constant nausea, so I just nibbled and drank sips. It was like a three-month long flu. Most of my weight gain has come 2nd trimester and later, but it's stayed pretty low. I just have quite a bit of room in my uterus due to the extra fluid, which is pretty visible, belly-wise. I would say I've been in maternity jeans since the start of the second trimester, and have been visibly showing since then. Most of my clothes are knit maxi skirts and maxi sundresses, many of which aren't actually maternity, though. Baby is vertical right now, head down like he should be, and am hoping that lasts.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:46 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
As long as her pregnancy is normal this should be fine. Sitting for long periods of time becomes more difficult later as some women are prone to swelling ankles and feet. Although it's pretty early for her to experience swelling, I would recommend packing a small pillow in the car that can be used for propping her feet up a bit should she become uncomfortable.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Yep. Many women do experience foot swelling, though this is more common much later in the pregnancy than she'll be.

I've not experienced it at all, even well into the third trimester, but it's by no means uncommon.

The more important thing for me when I traveled in the second trimester was to bring a small memory foam contoured pillow for lumbar support, as a sore lower back and achy hips were a much bigger problem for me than any swelling ever was. Basically, whatever your wife requires to be comfortable at home, you'll need to adapt as you can for the car ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy