Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

SUMMERTOWN, Tenn. — Despite living on a commune in rural Tennessee, Ina May Gaskin has had the kind of career success most people only dream about.

A midwife who never formally studied nursing, Gaskin has helped to bring home birth and lay midwifery back from the brink of extinction in the United States. An obstetrical maneuver she learned from the indigenous Mayans of Guatemala has made it into scientific journals and medical textbooks, and her insistence on the rights of a birthing mother empowered a generation of women to demand changes from doctors and hospitals.

Pioneering midwife crusades for natural birth - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:10 PM

438 posts, read 1,509,298 times
I read one of Ina May's books while I was pregnant with my last one. I've always felt as though the medical community made too much of a big deal about childbirth. Somewhere along the way women were placed on their backs to give birth, in my opinion to take their power away. Think about it, for thousands upon thousands of years men were not involved at all in childbirth. Women helped women during the process. Once the men got involved, our power got taken away. Now you have OB/GYN's treating pregnant women as if something is wrong with them. Nothing is wrong at all. Its the most natural thing to give birth. And who told us it hurts? Yes, its difficult, but not really painful in the medical sense. Someone lied to us about that. I wish everyone would read Ina May's books.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Wonderful! We planned a homebirth with our last pregnancy, with a midwife, but ended up having a miscarriage. If we have another baby, we will plan another homebirth. Pregnancy and childbirth in general should not be a medicalized event (complications with mother or baby notwithstanding, of course!).

Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,842 times
That's how the women in my family have had children (my mother etc.) & I hope to do the same someday. In normal circumstances, it is much healthier for mom & baby that so hopefully...

Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I haven't heard her name in many years. She lived/lives on a commune called The Farm. I read her book many times. Amazing woman.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 PM

89 posts, read 536,913 times
I loved her books, she inspired me to work towards a career in womens health!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Anyone who is able to give birth to a child sans drugs is a saint in my book!!! I couldn't do it ever with any of my 3 labor & deliveries. More power to Ina May and any woman who can get through it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy