Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times

Advertisements

And also, the nurses and your OB will play a big part in this and can easily sabotage your plans to go natural. My first OB sucked. He sold me on the fact that he was natural birth friendly and would go with my plans. I was only in labor for about 12 hours and he still wanted to break my water and give me an enema during that time because I wasn't advancing quick enough for him. He also told me I was SOL with regards to cervical checks starting at 37 weeks because that's just how he did things. He was extremely pushy about the fact that I had GD and he "wouldn't allow me to go past my due date." My GD was controlled via diet and I only gained 19 pounds. I was fine.

My nurse was a rockstar and I attribute a lot of my success to her. She told me when she thought the OB was being unreasonable and helped me with some positioning. I could tell she wasn't fond of him.

This time around, I have a much, much more supportive OB. He won't induce until 41.5 weeks if everyone is healthy. He's ecstatic I have a doula and wants me to labor at home as long as possible. He's so anti-C/S it's not even funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 02:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram View Post
Tell me your experience with being confident going into a unmedicated birth. Was it successful or did you lose confidence when the pain was too strong?
I had two unmedicated births, one a water birth. They went just fine. Yeah, it hurt...A LOT...but I was able to work my way through it with the help of my husband, a doula, and a supportive obstetrician.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
True. I was adamant that I wanted a home water birth. I had a lot of friends that had them and thought they were great. Somewhere after my 3rd miscarriage there was no place I would want to be but in the best maternity ward in the city. Life and pregnancy became too fragile. I ended up adopting, not giving birth. But our last pregnancy I was thinking how much my plans had changed through the process.
Yeah, my "plans" very quickly became, "What's safest for me and safest for the baby? Okay, let's go with that. New plan. And, go."

Old 11-02-2016, 03:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Ultimately , there really isn't any shame or pride in giving birth medicated or unmedicated. You do what you have to in order to have a safe and healthy birth, and it isn't anybody else's decision or business, anyway.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I'm a big fan of pain medication. I was induced, had very painful contractions and welcomed the epidural which gave me great relief. The negative to the epidural was that it deadened my lower half and I had trouble pushing.

Still, my daughter eventually popped out and was fine, and we all went home happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy