Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 07:34 PM

666 posts, read 478,233 times

Advertisements

I live in a town home and my neighbor is currently refinishing their hardwood floors with polyurethane. My house reaks of it. I am 5 weeks pregnant. Should we go to a hotel ? They will be doing another coat tomorrow too. What would you do ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:26 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I live in a town home and my neighbor is currently refinishing their hardwood floors with polyurethane. My house reaks of it. I am 5 weeks pregnant. Should we go to a hotel ? They will be doing another coat tomorrow too. What would you do ??
Years ago I had a neighbor do that. That stuff really stinks, and the smell carries far from where it is used. It is a smell that just hangs in the air.

You should call your ob/gyn, but personally, if it was me, I would not want to breathe that chemical, pregnant or not.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:49 AM

274 posts, read 294,264 times
That's a nasty stench. I remember being pregnant and living in an apartment and maintenance along with whoever they hired were getting the apartment ready to rent out before Thanksgiving (ugh). So, they were in a rush and they put on new coats of stuff and boy, it smelled. I wish I would've had somewhere else to go as breathing in all of whatever they were redoing over there didn't feel too good.

If you can afford a hotel, I would totally say go for it to avoid breathing in those fumes. It's not good for anybody.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 AM

666 posts, read 478,233 times
We stayed in a hotel the first night but decided to stay here after. Our third floor where we sleep doesn't smell as bad so been hanging up there with the fans going. Called poison control and march of dimes for advice and they said should be okay since it's not our house with the work so not a direct exposure and it should only be dangerous with long term exposure. Hope they are right !!

Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post
That's a nasty stench. I remember being pregnant and living in an apartment and maintenance along with whoever they hired were getting the apartment ready to rent out before Thanksgiving (ugh). So, they were in a rush and they put on new coats of stuff and boy, it smelled. I wish I would've had somewhere else to go as breathing in all of whatever they were redoing over there didn't feel too good.

If you can afford a hotel, I would totally say go for it to avoid breathing in those fumes. It's not good for anybody.
How are you doing now? Been dealing with a landlord that is renovating apartments and applying polyurethane/varnish and not ventilating. My place has smelled bad for months - not intense, but the smell always seems to be sort of lingering.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 PM

274 posts, read 294,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansnrice55 View Post
How are you doing now? Been dealing with a landlord that is renovating apartments and applying polyurethane/varnish and not ventilating. My place has smelled bad for months - not intense, but the smell always seems to be sort of lingering.
I'm okay, not sure about OP though o_o

When they renovated apartments here, it was just the one next door near Thanksgiving and thankfully they were done before then. I wish they would have ventilated that apartment a bit better though. I absolutely hate the chemical-y smells. Sorry to hear your problem has been going on so much longer, I can't even imagine =/

Old 02-06-2023, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,661 times
Hi @phillygirl123 — I know this post was very old and you may not use this site anymore....but I similarly am 5 weeks pregnant and had ~3 hour polyurethane exposure. Did everything go okay??? Desperate for some reassurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy