Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids, but I was in a long term relationship with an uncircumsized man, and for what it's worth, he was very clean, very hygenic. He said yes, when he was younger he got a few comments but it was never a big deal, certainly didn't traumatize him, that's just how boys are, they will always find a reason to tease and joke around. He said being uncircumsized is supposed to make the penis more sensitive, so he was glad he wasn't. It certainly didn't bother me any, it did not look any more or less attractive than a circumsized penis; from my aspect there was no difference at all. After that experience, I don't see what the point of circumcision is. When I do have children, I'd rather not, unless my husband felt really strongly about it.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Does anyone here think the uncut ones look like a manatee? I say teach your son proper hygine and save the manatee!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipglossjunkie View Post
but i am still researching and will continue to look deeper into circumcision until I actually have him. I still have a few months to make the final decision
You will find opinions all over the board on this, and some people feel very strongly about it. I had one son, and we did have him circumcised. I'm sure the non-religious among us, which may include you for all I know, will freak about some of my reasoning here, but as a Christian, this is what I think! In the Old Testament, God commanded the Jewish babies to be circumcised as a symbol of His covenant with them. Later in the New Testament, St. Paul says that under the new covenant, circumcision or uncircumcision means nothing one way or the other. My thinking~ if it was inherently harmful for babies, God would not have commanded it to be done.
I think there are some health benefits from it worth considering including lower cancer rate.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I am currently pregnant. I don't know if this one is a boy or not, but if it is a boy, he will not be circ'ed.

There is not sufficient medical reason to do it, it's purely cosmetic/cultural/religious. And if medical issues arrise in the future, it can always be done later. It's not recommended by any of the major medical associations, nor by my pediatrician. Since many insurance companies are no longer covering it, the rates of circ are also going down among people who don't want to pay for it out-of-pocket.

Sure, there are still people of our generation who feel like "everyone does it" because maybe that was true when they grew up, but the fact is that it is much less common nowadays. In my region (the south) the rates are around 60% circ'ed. In some areas of the country it's much higher (the midwest) and in some areas it's much lower (the west), but I certainly don't think that my uncirc'ed boy will be the only one in his peer group. Not that this is a big factor in MY decision, but it seems to be a concern for several others.

My DH is circ'ed, but I don't feel that it has anything to do with our choice for our child. My DH was formula fed too, but we make a lot of decisions differently from our parents because we have different information available to us now than they did.

Data on recent circ rates can be found in the following report:
Statistical Brief #45
which is from the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP), a government project.
and includes this relevant graph:

Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Both my sons were, their father was not. I made the decision, I dont remember if I even asked their father. I decided to because I prefer circ' men and it was just the accepted thing to do then. The general attitude was being uncircumcised was a negative attribute.

I dont remember either son being tramatized. As for screaming and such, I watched my nephew as he was being cleaned, weighed, measured, poked and all that stuff they do. I felt so bad for him because he was screaming and screaming the entire time.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM

73 posts, read 320,507 times
Just the perspective of one who is not circ'ed. I am glad my parents made that choice. Never was made fun of for it, and i was picked on a lot as a kid/teen. Teach him to keep it clean, and it won't be a problem.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
I have two boys and I did not circumcise them. My hubby, not c'cised, my brother, not c'cised. Never had any problems. We teach our kids to keep it clean. I would not put my children through unnecessary surgical procedures due to cosmetic reasons. If they want to do it when they are older they can.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:45 AM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Both my sons were circum.
Insurance covered it.
I breastfeed both & it never interfered with bonding or breastfeeding. They were both gone for under an hour. Both came back sleeping & woke up normally. They were 2 days old so no, we don't discuss if they remember.
It wasn't even an issue to us. They both got it done while in the hospital & neither came back to me traumatized & screaming. I didn't hear them nor could I imagine a hospital that would allow that procedure to take place in an area where parents were around.
There are only so many thing after awhile that we analyze to such an extent. We read about it & talked to the doctor. Then we made our decision.

Honestly, this is such a personal & touchy subject that I am just going to keep my response short & sweet.

And please, no one tear my decision apart using such extreme & hurtful words like rape. I have no right to judge a VERY private decision & vice versa.

Good luck with your decision & everyone else...you made the decision you thought was best for your family. THAT is what matters...not my opinion
rape definition |Dictionary.com Please note where it says "a violent seizure, abuse and violation". I think all of those words apply.

I feel badly for your sons, however, what is done is done. You made the choice you thought was best, even though I definitely disagree. The original poster is asking for advice about what to do with her unborn child, and just because many parents choose to circ doesn't automatically make it right. Your opinion is to do it. Mine is that it is a barbaric practice that is no longer even deemed necessary. I DO think it is a violation of a boy's rights to his own body and the functions it is SUPPOSED to perform.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
The original poster is asking for advice about what to do with her unborn child
Actually, I believe the OP was asking how parents decided which route to take, not which route she should take.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Both my sons were circum.
Insurance covered it.
I breastfeed both & it never interfered with bonding or breastfeeding. They were both gone for under an hour. Both came back sleeping & woke up normally. They were 2 days old so no, we don't discuss if they remember.
It wasn't even an issue to us. They both got it done while in the hospital & neither came back to me traumatized & screaming.
Yes, with my second, we discussed it with our pediatrician and noted our concerns of what happened with #1. In the second hospital, they used medication and he came back very quickly and not upset at all. Plus, as a crazy side-thing, the doctor found out he was jaundiced (he ended up being pretty severly jaundiced before the counts came down). The hospital had just opened a new birthing wing and it turns out the lighting was not very good to determine jaundice. Once the doctor had him in the surgical area, he realized how yellow he was and ordered tests. I really don't know why I'm sharing that--I guess I just remembered in the process of typing about the circum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive;5385533
Data on recent circ rates can be found in the following report:
[URL="http://hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb45.jsp"
Statistical Brief #45[/url]
which is from the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP), a government project.
and includes this relevant graph:
Thank you for the graph--I was wondering about how many were, on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
rape definition |Dictionary.com Please note where it says "a violent seizure, abuse and violation". I think all of those words apply.

I feel badly for your sons, however, what is done is done. You made the choice you thought was best, even though I definitely disagree. The original poster is asking for advice about what to do with her unborn child, and just because many parents choose to circ doesn't automatically make it right. Your opinion is to do it. Mine is that it is a barbaric practice that is no longer even deemed necessary. I DO think it is a violation of a boy's rights to his own body and the functions it is SUPPOSED to perform.
Yes, but I think we all understood your stance about five posts ago. And before I get flamed, yes we all have the freedom to post as much as we want, but I personally find it nice when people add in new information instead of posting the same post over and over, worded differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy