Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I could see how you would question that...early in this thread I shared my son's circ' situation and id definately did affect breastfeeding.

When returned to me, he did not nurse for at least 10 hours (it could have been alot longer)... If this had been my first baby and I was younger, it totally could have sabotaged my nursing success... the nurses and a doctor were adamant that I give him a bottle, if not of formula, than sugar water. They wanted me to give him sugar water. ???He wasn't nursing, they thought a bottle would help??? And then what? Alot of people who aren't successful nursing is due to introducing bottles early.

My son's circ was traumatic. I was immediately regretful.
But the circ itself had nothing to do with it. Children who are sick sometimes; a LOT of times won't breastfeed for a number of hours.

There is no direct connection between circumcision and breastfeeding, or bonding.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. To "mutilate" is "To cut up or alter radically so as to make imperfect" (according to Webster).

Circumcision does not cut up OR alter radically, so you and your friend are being WAY overdramatic.
I think that one could argue that, in fact, it does do both. Cut up, as in cut off the foreskin obviously. Alter radically so as to make imperfect, well the foreskin is permanently destroyed, so yah, I'd say it's been altered radically and become imperfect. Mind you, I'm not saying that I personally believe it is "mutilation", but I don't think it's a ridiculous argument either.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
There is no direct connection between circumcision and breastfeeding, or bonding.
According to the AAP:
The Assessment and Management of Acute Pain in Infants, Children, and Adolescents -- Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health 108 (3): 793 -- AAP Policy

Available research indicates that newborn circumcisions are a significant source of pain during the procedure and are associated with irritability and feeding disturbances during the days afterward.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think that one could argue that, in fact, it does do both. Cut up, as in cut off the foreskin obviously. Alter radically so as to make imperfect, well the foreskin is permanently destroyed, so yah, I'd say it's been altered radically and become imperfect. Mind you, I'm not saying that I personally believe it is "mutilation", but I don't think it's a ridiculous argument either.
In your opinion, a male who has had a circumcision is imperfect and mutilated? Anyone who has, maybe lost the tip of a finger (my daughter did when she was a baby) is imperfect and mutilated?

By your definition, anyone who has had plastic surgery (of ANY kind)should be considered cut up and mutilated?

Wow, the list could get pretty long.

In general, the majority of our population has been cut up and mutilated in some way, according to you.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Can I add something?

A lot of doctors are using anesthesia now.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not that a penis is attractive anyway, but I think they are more attractive circumcised. My bf is not and has commented that he wished he had been.
My husband says the same thing too. I guess it's easier to keep the penis clean once it's circumcised.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM

925mine,
Did you read what I wrote? I said that I don't personally consider it mutilation. I just don't think it's such a ridiculous argument. jeez...

But I would have to agree that for someone who has been circumcized, that I think that certainly their foreskin is imperfect and mutilated at least.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
....irritability and feeding disturbances during the days afterward.
Any infant who has had an illness, or ANY kind of surgery would POSSIBLY experience a "feeding disturbance" for a few hours, or a few days.

I've known baby boys who have had no afteraffects at all.

Perhaps, just PERHAPS the "feeding disturbances" experienced were in part due to the mother's anxiety over her baby crying, or a multitude of other reasons.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Any infant who has had an illness, or ANY kind of surgery would POSSIBLY experience a "feeding disturbance" for a few hours, or a few days.

I've known baby boys who have had no afteraffects at all.

Perhaps, just PERHAPS the "feeding disturbances" experienced were in part due to the mother's anxiety over her baby crying, or a multitude of other reasons.
I'm sure that the AAP puts a little more research into their policy statements than that... But maybe they should have just asked your opinion instead... [/sarcasm]

Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
But the circ itself had nothing to do with it. Children who are sick sometimes; a LOT of times won't breastfeed for a number of hours.

There is however, a direct connection between circumscision and pain. How could it NOT hurt? I don't think there is any anestheisa or painkiller that is approved for use on newborns so the babies have to take what most men would never sign up for. Namely, their penis and cutting and pain. That's something you have to do to someone who's helpless and defenseless. Just like the poor girls in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy