Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:27 PM

201 posts, read 1,004,175 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a little less than a month and a half away from my due date, and nobody in my office has offered to throw me a baby shower. Maybe I need to give it more time, but I'm starting to worry that nobody will and I would like to have one and I'm sure people will think it is tacky for me to throw my own. It is customary for moms-to-be (and brides-to-be) to get a shower where I work, and I personally have thrown a shower for other co-workers (I've thrown two showers for one co-worker and she's still someone I work closely with). I think it is rude to ask for a shower, but I'm not sure how to let others know that I'd like to have a shower (if this is even proper). Please, if you think I'm rude or selfish for asking this question, I'd like you to keep those thoughts to yourself and not reply to this post. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
You're not rude for wondering if you'll be treated the same as coworkers in the same position have been treated.

It goes against etiquette to request that a shower be held, obviously. But your coworkers are also guilty of a breach of etiquette if they routinely hold workplace showers for some, but not others. It's very rude to exclude some if there is a particular precedent set.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:02 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Are showers typically a surprise? Or at least sometimes? For my work shower, they managed to completely surprise me, they are lucky I didn't go into labor! lol!

and I agree with TabulaRasa, if having a work shower is the norm, it's not rude to assume you are going to have one. But you are in a tough spot, because of course it is rude to ask. Can you talk to the co-worker you've thrown showers for, and casually mention a non-work shower and see if there is any reaction?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
I don't blame you for wondering. But I think if you ask, you'll just look greedy, and personally I would rather not ask and be a polite person who doesn't get a shower, than ask about a shower and have people give me one because I made them feel obligated. I would remain patient, and hopefully they are working on a surprise shower.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I don't blame you for wondering. But I think if you ask, you'll just look greedy, and personally I would rather not ask and be a polite person who doesn't get a shower, than ask about a shower and have people give me one because I made them feel obligated. I would remain patient, and hopefully they are working on a surprise shower.

If there is a close friend at work you could just ask her, "Last month we had a shower for Mary when she was 6 months pregnant, and the shower before her shower was for Jennie who was 7 months pregnant."

"I'm almost 8 months pregnant and I was wondering if anyone has mentioned hosting a work baby shower for me?"

Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I guess it depends on the office. Do you have a friend at work who might do it? Don't do it yourself under any circumstances.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM

201 posts, read 1,004,175 times
Thanks. I'm unfortunately not super close to anyone I work with, but there's a few ladies I work with regularly (and one of them I've thrown two showers for). Part of my concern is that at some point I'm going to need to start buying the stuff we'll need if I'm not getting a shower, so that I'll have it when the baby comes. I don't want to start buying everything on the registry if I'll end up getting a shower. I guess I'll just wait a couple more weeks. If nothing else, I can hold off on buying things I won't need right away.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
You should probably be buying things, anyway...you can't expect that everything you need will be gifted to you by others. Is this your first child, or do you already have quite a few things from previous children? If it's the former, I'd hope that you'd have gotten some things here and there prior to the final month of pregnancy. I'm not due till Sept., but we've been picking various necessities up little by little, here, as we go, because it would be really expensive to do all at once.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadjalou View Post
Thanks. I'm unfortunately not super close to anyone I work with, but there's a few ladies I work with regularly (and one of them I've thrown two showers for). Part of my concern is that at some point I'm going to need to start buying the stuff we'll need if I'm not getting a shower, so that I'll have it when the baby comes. I don't want to start buying everything on the registry if I'll end up getting a shower. I guess I'll just wait a couple more weeks. If nothing else, I can hold off on buying things I won't need right away.
Do you not have any friends or family outside of work that would throw a shower for you?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadjalou View Post
Hi, I'm a little less than a month and a half away from my due date, and nobody in my office has offered to throw me a baby shower. Maybe I need to give it more time, but I'm starting to worry that nobody will and I would like to have one and I'm sure people will think it is tacky for me to throw my own. It is customary for moms-to-be (and brides-to-be) to get a shower where I work, and I personally have thrown a shower for other co-workers (I've thrown two showers for one co-worker and she's still someone I work closely with). I think it is rude to ask for a shower, but I'm not sure how to let others know that I'd like to have a shower (if this is even proper). Please, if you think I'm rude or selfish for asking this question, I'd like you to keep those thoughts to yourself and not reply to this post. Thanks.

It is your choice to do something like this for a coworker as it is their choice to do the same for you or not.

If you are due in less than a month you should have been gathering items necessary about 6 months ago. You do not rely on someone else to provide for your child, you choose to do that when you choose to become a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy