Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,599 times

Advertisements

I took birth control pills for the first time, on 3/20 ( first day of my menstrual cycle) then I went to see my fiancé and had unprotected sex around 4/5came back and stopped taking the pills around 4/25 (since I won't be sexually active because I only have it with my fiancé). Now is 5/5 and I still don't have my period ... Am I pregnant? ( I was taking lo Loestrin, they are kind of known to stopped your menstrual cycle) thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
You might be. It's more likely that you've jacked up your body's own hormone balance by introducing and then rapidly discontinuing additional hormones, though.

FWIW, hormonal contraception isn't really meant to be taken that way, and that's one reason why.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You might be. It's more likely that you've jacked up your body's own hormone balance by introducing and then rapidly discontinuing additional hormones, though.

FWIW, hormonal contraception isn't really meant to be taken that way, and that's one reason why.
I agree. If the OP thinks she is pregnant the easiest way to find out is to head to the dollar store, buy a test, and take it.

OP, starting and stopping BC like that is not how it is meant to work. If you don't like taking the pills then get another form of contraception like an IUD. You can even get a copper IUD that doesn't have any hormones at all. What you are doing now could result in pregnancy because it isn't how the pills are designed to work. Not at all.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM

I just took the test and the result came out negative.. I m not pregnant. Since I won't be sexually active now until the next time I see my fiancé again, I won't be taking the pills anymore. Now, when should I expect my period to return? ( next time I see him which will be 2-3 months from now, and I will be moving there and we plan to have a baby then, hopuflly what I did will not affect us having a baby in the future) I took the pills behind his back.. He wanted a baby already I wanted to wait...
Thanks for all your inputs!!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
If your period continues to not show, take another test. False negatives can occur if it's early enough on that too low of growth hormone levels are in your urine to register on a drug store test.

Pills are an extended regimen of hormone therapy. They're not designed for irregular use, only regular. If you're going the irregular use route, other methods of contraception (condoms, diaphragm, spermicide, etc.) are designed for that. Again, assuming you're not pregnant, depending on how out of balance your hormones are now with the on-again, off-again, there's no way to really predict when your body will get back on track, but it will happen. Out of curiosity, who prescribed you birth control pills, knowing that you are going to be trying to conceive within the next couple of months? OBGYNs generally note that, after taking hormonal birth control regularly, it can take a month or more for your body to reacclimate and have a chance to prepare itself for potential pregnancy. It takes many people several months, if not more, to conceive after going off hormonal BC. Not everyone (my mom got pregnant with me pretty much immediately after going off the pill, even though they thought it might take a few months) , many people do experience this.

Also, This is more relationship-related than pregnancy-related, but if you and your fiance aren't on the same page regarding contraception and the timeline for trying to conceive, you need to get that worked out. If you're doing things behind his back and not talking things out now, and you're not even married yet, that's not going to improve. You need to be on the same page and be able to talk, if you're taking important commitment steps.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:37 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangel815 View Post
I took birth control pills for the first time, on 3/20 ( first day of my menstrual cycle) then I went to see my fiancé and had unprotected sex around 4/5came back and stopped taking the pills around 4/25 (since I won't be sexually active because I only have it with my fiancé). Now is 5/5 and I still don't have my period ... Am I pregnant? ( I was taking lo Loestrin, they are kind of known to stopped your menstrual cycle) thanks for your help!!
Did your doctor explain hormonal birth control (like the pill) to you? It's not an on and off again thing like a condom or a diaphragm. It regulates your monthly cycle as long as you are on it, but going on and off it will render it practically useless.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangel815 View Post
I just took the test and the result came out negative.. I m not pregnant. Since I won't be sexually active now until the next time I see my fiancé again, I won't be taking the pills anymore. Now, when should I expect my period to return? ( next time I see him which will be 2-3 months from now, and I will be moving there and we plan to have a baby then, hopuflly what I did will not affect us having a baby in the future) I took the pills behind his back.. He wanted a baby already I wanted to wait...
Thanks for all your inputs!!
Oh honey, y'all need to talk. I hate intruding like this but when one person is ready for pregnancy and the other is not, the one who is not should win. Having a child is too important of a decision for a couple to not be on the same page. It's a life changing experience, and hard, even in the best of situations.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Oh honey, y'all need to talk. I hate intruding like this but when one person is ready for pregnancy and the other is not, the one who is not should win. Having a child is too important of a decision for a couple to not be on the same page. It's a life changing experience, and hard, even in the best of situations.
I understand now... We both want to have baby.. It's just he wants it now, and I want the baby little bit later... I should have be clear with him, I regret it very much now..thanks for your help!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I'm wondering if maybe you didn't even get these pills from a physician since you seem not to understand what the purpose of them is and how they work. Did you get some from a friend? You are playing with fire. it's not like aspirin you take for a headache. You could be jerking your body around with this irregular use of some pretty serious medication.

Everything the others have said is true. Please get better informed and educate yourself about your own body and birth control in general.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:50 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
First time ever - CD used as a Pregnancy Test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy