Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM

243 posts, read 813,090 times

Advertisements

Hello to all you fellow mothers or mothers - to - be...

I am currently 34 weeks and 2 days pregnant and still have not take any childbirth classes. My doctor has not said anything about it. My situation is this, I went into premature labor a few weeks ago but it was stopped by the little shot the OB docs gave me. My husband just enlisted in the Air Force and is currently away at boot camp so he is not here and will miss the entire labor portion.

I'm just wondering if you have to take childbirth classes... Is this a personal choice? I have been doing a lot of research online about labor and the different types of labor... watching videos and reading stories. I just didn't know if childbirth classes were something you needed to take or if you can just do some practice exercises at home...

Any information will help. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Of course it's a personal choice. Everything is. When you're a parent, you make decisions for yourself and your baby. The doctors make recommendations, but you call the shots. I liked the childbirth classes, as it was fun to go out once per week wtih DH and hang out with other preggo women. They helped me to know what to expect as far as labor and delivery went, but the breathing exercises didn't really help me at all. If you're well-read and know the different stages of deliver and all, I'm sure you're fine... it never ends up being like what you expect, anyway! Congratulations on your soon-to-be-arrival!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
You do not really need them. The only thing they did for me was scare me about the epidural because they showed us the needle and tubing. Everything they teach, you can learn online or by asking your doctor.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Put it this way- I was never sorry about anything I learned prior to labor. Every labor and delivery is different, so why not be as prepared as possible?

Let's be honest, though. It's not required. Take every class or no class and you're still having that baby

Good luck! (And please tell your husband thank you from my family for his service.)

Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
^^^this - I found any information to be welcome. Although of course you don't "have" to take a class....it's not like they don't allow you to give birth if they find out you haven't taken the class!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
I went to the class with my wife. I didn't learn anything there that I hadn't already seen on Discovery Health.

...but I wouldn't have known that had I not gone.

Better safe than sorry.

The most useful training was the hospital orientation. Showed us where we were going and what was going to happen and when. If we hadn't have done that we may still be wondering around the parking garage. (nah just kidding LOL)

Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
You don't have to take a class but at the hospital I used for #3, you had to take an "epidural" class and get a piece of paper signed off that you took it, plus you had to pre-screen with the anesthesiologist to be approved to receive an elective epidural during labor.

If the OB's office has not told you this is the case for your hospital, and you have pre-registered there and they did not tell you, it is likely this does not apply to you. Just a heads-up though.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post

I am currently 34 weeks and 2 days pregnant and still have not take any childbirth classes. My doctor has not said anything about it. My situation is this, I went into premature labor a few weeks ago but it was stopped by the little shot the OB docs gave me. My husband just enlisted in the Air Force and is currently away at boot camp so he is not here and will miss the entire labor portion.

I'm just wondering if you have to take childbirth classes... Is this a personal choice? I have been doing a lot of research online about labor and the different types of labor... watching videos and reading stories. I just didn't know if childbirth classes were something you needed to take or if you can just do some practice exercises at home...

You don't have to take childbirth classes but I do recommend you at least take a tour of the hospital you'll be delivering in (that is usually part of the child birth class). It's helpful because you can see the birth rooms, the recovery rooms (if they're different), the nursery, get your paperwork completed, etc.

Childbirth for me was nothing like the movies we watched in class. We practiced breathing techniques (and I wholeheartedly applaud the "try not to scream until you can get an epidural" method) and it was the first time I got to see what 10 centimeters dilated looks like. My husband was pretty freaked out. The classes, I think, are a good idea but aren't as important as the tour of the hospital.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,458 times
I read the What to Expect book, maybe something else, no classes, I learned what I needed from the books, and from talking with others.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post

No, you do not need to take the classes.

More than likely, you will have a good set of nurses who will guide you along w/ the doctor.

My dh deployed to Iraq 3 weeks after our #1 was born. He had no time prior to go to the classes due to deployment prep & so on. Welcome to the world of the military...you will become a very strong woman over the next months!!

#1 is always the most interesting b/c it will be your first time in labor & deliver. Just have confidence in yourself b/c every delivery story is a different experience for every mom!

And make sure to pay attention to those kick counts!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy