Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM

17 posts, read 50,389 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an article on About.com regarding snakes... After looking at the 75th picture, I am getting a bit nervous.
How often does someone encounters snakes? Do they come in the suburbs, in the gardens?
Do people get bitten often ? Saw pictures of a bite . It took nothing less than 20 operations to recover!!! Not my kind of past time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:17 PM

509 posts, read 1,697,714 times
i live out in the woods . i might see a snake maybe twice a year . in my 19 years out here i have not been even able to handle a snake as they slither away pretty fast . only snake i stay away from is the "Mojave Green" . nastiest snake around in Arizona . it is colored kind of greenish gray . if you encounter one of them . run! even those i have only met a couple of times . so i would not worry all that much about snakes . soon it will be warming up and you might see one sunning on a rock .

Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
First, Prescott is not "the suburbs." It's a rural area.

Secondly, there are many existing threads about snakes in the Arizona general forum, as well as this one.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/presc...43-snakes.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/presc...snakes-pv.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...snakes-az.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...rs-snakes.html

Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
. only snake i stay away from is the "Mojave Green" . nastiest snake around in Arizona . it is colored kind of greenish gray ..
I am very leery of all rattlers. In spring, they are all more aggressive after hibernation.

Well, not sure on the blacktail rattler. It is generally less aggressive, and I haven't seen any in early spring, so don't really know.

And, the Mojave is not always a distinctive color, so color will not always help you recognize one. Their face is different, but it is hard to describe. The tail is a giveaway, though. The white bands are much wider than the black bands, unlike the more common Western diamondback, which has even-width bands.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
And, the Mojave is not always a distinctive color, so color will not always help you recognize one. Their face is different, but it is hard to describe. The tail is a giveaway, though. The white bands are much wider than the black bands, unlike the more common Western diamondback, which has even-width bands.
Two questions:
1) who wants to get THAT close to a rattler to identify its tail bands?
2) is a bite from a Mojave generally lethal? They are also found in the California desert, too, am I right?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Two questions:
1) who wants to get THAT close to a rattler to identify its tail bands?
It must be done outside of striking range. I should also mention that rattlers have a large sort of triangular head, which means get back. And, they cannot be relied on to rattle.

Quote:
2) They are also found in the California desert, too, am I right?
Yes.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,218 times
I live in a rural area, just down the road from State Land, the only snakes I have seen on our property are golpher and garden snakes. Not to worry. Snakes only travel a mile from their den. So, if you are out hiking, chances are you will find a rattler or Mohave Green.

Honestly, since moving to Arizona 19 years ago, the only snakes I have seen are here on my property in Chino Valley over the last few years. I seen snakes (rattlers) in California many many times crossing the roads, but not here in Arizona. Not saying they are not around, but just haven't seen a rattler here in Arizona. Once we were driving in Palm Springs and a HUGE rattler crossing the road on Bob Hope Blvd.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
2) is a bite from a Mojave generally lethal? They are also found in the California desert, too, am I right?
The venom from a "Green Mohave" is classified as a "NEUROTOXIN"....and is TEN TIMES more toxic than the venom of the other 11 types of Rattlers in AZ (Which have a Venom classified as a Hemo Toxin".

If you receive a "wet bite " from a Green Mohave and don't get to a hospital within approx an hour..................you most likely "will have bought the farm".

If you have a dog and it receives a "wet bite" from a Green Mohave......it most likely will be dead within approx ten minutes.........or less.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,783 times
You can build a rattlesnake resistant fenced area. It requires the fence to be solid with no holes for them to get through, at least 6" deep under ground, and at least 3-4 feet tall with a tapered 30 degree top to it. Of course the tapered top is facing out/away from the protected area.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
You can build a rattlesnake resistant fenced area. It requires the fence to be solid with no holes for them to get through, at least 6" deep under ground, and at least 3-4 feet tall with a tapered 30 degree top to it. Of course the tapered top is facing out/away from the protected area.
So are these prevalent in Prescott and PV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott