Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM

12 posts, read 23,191 times

Advertisements

I interested in moving to Prescott and buying a home in the 86303 area code. It appears to be in the National Forest. How does this effect everyday living, compared the mostly treeless areas of Prescott?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 07:37 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,718,627 times
First of all Prescott is certainly not treeless. Chino Valley and Prescott Valley do not have have the large numbers trees of varying types you will find all over the Prescott.
But I live in zip 86303 and it's not all in the national forest but yet I am very close to that border. I fish at a lake that is 4 miles away in the NF and just a little higher up than we live at. If I take HWY 89 south from my house there is still some 2-3 miles I am guessing that is still city along the highway.
I am in the city limits of southwest Prescott. We have pines and other trees here that are 60-90' tall.
Having lived in Safford, Tucson, Sierra Vista and Cochise County as various time in my life this is a very nice setting compared to most of AZ
We also get 4 seasons at this altitude, we are at 5400' which is also nice living in AZ
We moved here just over 2 years ago to get out of the hot lower valleys.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM

3,768 posts, read 5,888,064 times
But is there more wind up in the trees as opposed to PV or CV?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM

22 posts, read 66,807 times
It all depends on elevation, I live on Cortez St. (86303) which is downtown 2 blocks from the courthouse and we have big old trees. Once you head south and start gaining elevation you will find yourself in the pines with much more snowfall, etc. Most of Prescott has trees of one variety or another and "National Forest" doesn't necessarily mean "trees". For Example north of Chino is national forest and just looks like a bunch of big bushes, though beautiful in there own right.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:05 PM

That is true. Prescott has many hills. If you live on one of them that does not have trees or is on the prevailing side that storms come from you will get wind.
I also live down low just off HWY 89 about a mile from the court house.
I have not seen high winds at my house while upper locations can get windy.
PV and CV and pretty much flat, have few taller trees, no pines that I have ever noticed in numbers and offer little protection when the wind blows.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,879,619 times
One thing also about living in the "pines" is that the risk of fire is very high. Prescott had a couple of big fires in the past 10-20 years but they are still holding out for the "big one". They are doing controlled burns but many top fire fighters say that Prescott will one day get hit by a devastating forest fire that will take out many homes and possibly peoples lives.

Drought and high winds is all it takes.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM

12 posts, read 23,191 times
Default How does the wind blow?

Thanks for all the great info. We may rent an apartment and live in the area before buying. Real estate agents don't encourage this for obvious reasons. Is the higher elevations windier because it's the direction the storms come from? I also sense the higher elevations have better views, but I could be wrong. That is why I think living there for a few months before buying would be the best path for me and my wife. Thanks for everyones help!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Most of our storms seem to come from the SW directions.
Yes if you are on that side of a hill and higher elevations you are going to see more winds.
Keep in mind that if you are "in the pines" as you are stating that the very tall pines will buffer a lot of that wind down at your house level.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,939,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodchuck View Post
Thanks for all the great info. We may rent an apartment and live in the area before buying. Real estate agents don't encourage this for obvious reasons. Is the higher elevations windier because it's the direction the storms come from? I also sense the higher elevations have better views, but I could be wrong. That is why I think living there for a few months before buying would be the best path for me and my wife. Thanks for everyones help!
I certainly think renting in an area before buying is a great idea. That gives you a chance to decide where you would like to live longer term. Everyone has their own comfort level and each person needs to make the choices that fit their needs.

Overall wind patterns are not necessarily different from lower to higher elevations, but the wind at a particular property will vary depending on the site. A hilltop site will be more windy than one surrounded by tall pines for example.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:06 PM

18 posts, read 94,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
One thing also about living in the "pines" is that the risk of fire is very high. Prescott had a couple of big fires in the past 10-20 years but they are still holding out for the "big one". .
May 1972.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott