Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 03:54 AM

42 posts, read 89,842 times

Advertisements

I have been having some troubles with my Roku streaming device since the end of august. Looking on the Roku support forums showed another person ( also in AZ ) was having a similar issue, as was her friend.

Here is the link...Roku Forums • View topic - Roku, Cableone, SBG901, AARRRGGHHH!!

If you are in AZ, have Roku, and CableOne high speed internet, I'd like to know if you are having problems.

This initially seemed like my Roku had simply gone bad, but there is mounting evidence to suggest that something with Cableone here in the area is actually at fault ( i have had numerous problems with their service since signing with them ). I now have a brand new warranty replacement that initally did the very same thing, then suddenly decided to work again. As it turns out, those in the thread above had the same issues at exactly the same times.

If it happens again, i would like to have as much ammo as possible before i call CO and start making accusations. So if you have been having trouble as well, please chime in and let me know...and if you could list your modem make and model, that would be helpful as well.

And if you have one that had stopped working, you may want to try it again.

Thanks

Last edited by dgrider; 09-15-2011 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,919,228 times
We have CableOne. We used to have Roku until it burned out and they refused to replace it. Now we have an LG bluray player. We had 5 mbs internet and we started having rebuffering issues. At one point the LG player said it was connected to the internet, but Netflix and Pandora would not play. I called LG and they had me hard-code the IP, DNS, etc. That solved the initial problem. Then the system was rebuffering quite often and the picture quality took a dump.

I upgraded to 50 mbs with a new DOCSYS 3.0 router. It took some calls back and forth with CableOne to get the router working at full speed, but CableOne was very responsive. If you upgrade, run a speed test to make sure you are getting 50 mbs. At first I was only getting 5 mbs again. Now I'm getting 50 mbs through the wire and 20 mbs through WiFi (which I attribute to my router).

Anyway, when I read through the CableOne contract, it says that as a low speed user (e.g., 5 mbs), if you are deemed to be pulling too much data, they will cut your speed. I don't have proof, but I'm sure that's what was happening. With their 50 mbs package, you get the first 50 gb free and then you pay 50 cents/gb after that. So far, the system seems to be functioning well.

So the bottom line is that you might have to hard-code your IP and DNS, and you might have to upgrade to 50 mbs. And you might have to ditch the Roku box and get an all-in-one bluray player. Ok, not really on the last point... I was just dissapointed with Roku's refusal to replace their box.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,539,438 times
Sounds like we will stay with Netflix mail service for a while.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Brian, when did the Roku burn out?

Mine worked without a hitch for six months, and then suddenly started having problems.

CO says they do not support manual DNS, so i can't do that.

Additionally, the Roku supposedly only pulls 3.4 megs at the max (HD), so my 10 should be plenty.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrider View Post
Brian, when did the Roku burn out?

Mine worked without a hitch for six months, and then suddenly started having problems.

CO says they do not support manual DNS, so i can't do that.

Additionally, the Roku supposedly only pulls 3.4 megs at the max (HD), so my 10 should be plenty.
Ours burned out about a year ago. It was one of the first units and it burned out after about a year and a half of use.

The rate isn't the issue. When you exceed an amount of data downloaded in a month, CableOne limits your account. You can log on to myweb.cableone.net, go to My Account, and click on the My Bandwidth tab. It will show you how much data you have downloaded during your billing period.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM

I thought only the "economy" service had bandwidth caps?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Maybe. I'm not sure. You might check your usage and call CableOne to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott