Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times

Advertisements

I'm not so sure about the jobs thing. As a rule of thumb if you are willing to work you can find work, but getting a decent job with benefits that actually pays you enough to survive or support a family from what I hear from the locals and looking at average salary data might be a bit harder than LexiPrice makes it seem to be (though good for her). My knowledge is second hand though as I brought my job with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM

41 posts, read 74,598 times
This question about two numbers that I posted kind of sums it up, for me anyway: Please explain this to me.

This and the drug/rehab issues that ARE out there are the only two negatives for me, and it seems like they are not going to get better any time soon.

All of the positive things that the Prescott cheerleaders out there are saying is true with the exception of the aforementioned.

Again just my .02

Old 04-29-2015, 01:59 PM

404 posts, read 765,915 times
Sorry for the long-winded post, but this issue kind of annoys me...

The jobs issue is serious (there are not a lot of "white collar"/professional jobs here to begin with that aren't government) - but even if you find a full time position, most employers here don't pay a "living" wage - unless you're an executive or have a specialty position. Try and find a decent home in Prescott at or under $300k, and then figure out that you'd have to make $72,000 per year to qualify for a mortgage for that $300,000 home. A $50,000 annual salary would only qualify you for a $165k home, which is basically non-existent in Prescott. Not too many jobs here that pay $50k per year (let alone $72k). And that assumes you have little other debt ($600 per month total).

The supply of moderately-priced homes in Prescott is almost nil. In my neighborhood, four of the five homes that have been on the market in the past six months have sold for $200+ per square foot, and these are smaller homes (largest was 1600 sq. ft.) that generally need updates or have drawbacks (no garage, small lot, right on the road, bad layout, etc.). Not a good situation for a young family. Yes, smaller homes sell for more per square foot (on average), but those are precisely the homes a young professional or new family are likely to be able to afford.

I really enjoy Prescott and the tri/quad-city area and I think it's a great place to live and work, but unless you are self-employed, telecommute (at a high rate of pay), are retired with sufficient investment income, or come in with a great job lined up, it's going to be tough to make it work comfortably here - particularly on a single income. If you don't care about home ownership and/or have almost no monthly expenses, the picture changes somewhat.

In the mid 20th century, I believe it was common for a single earner family to be able to afford a small house for the family. In the mid 21st century, it seems we are headed for a situation where it requires three earners to be able to afford a house. Good thing lots of adult kids are living with their parents now - all three can pitch in to make the mortgage payment...

I think the three most pressing issues in the greater Prescott area at the moment are:

"Decent" Jobs
Affordable Housing
Water

Probably the number one issue is actually ineffectual leadership and lack of strategic long-term vision by elected officials, but that is probably true throughout the state and country.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
I think the three most pressing issues in the greater Prescott area at the moment are:

"Decent" Jobs
Affordable Housing
Water
OK.

So what does Prescott have to offer a medium to large-size business? If I'm looking to relocate or start a business, why wouldn't I do it in Phoenix rather than Prescott?

Amazon Fulfillment in Phoenix pays about $11/hour to start for basically unskilled labor. Could I get people in the greater Prescott area to work for that or would they turn up their noses because it's not a "decent" job?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 PM

41 posts, read 74,598 times
@Wondercat

1. Nothing.....

2. DING....DING.....DING.....DING....We have a winner!!!

3. I don't think its a matter of the turning up of noses, but a matter of roof over head and having enough money left at the end of the month to pay for the rest of the bare necessities.

For most working people roof over head is their single largest monthly expenditure, so when the cost of housing is grossly disproportionate to the median income (low wages) there is not much left to to spend on other things, or in other words living just above hand to mouth, hence the term "decent" as in not having to live that way.

Not to put you on the spot or anything: when was the last time you made a "decent" living at $11.00/hr pre-tax?

Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 AM

404 posts, read 765,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So what does Prescott have to offer a medium to large-size business? If I'm looking to relocate or start a business, why wouldn't I do it in Phoenix rather than Prescott?
I'm not trying to make the argument that Prescott is attractive to businesses - in many ways it isn't. It lacks redundant high speed Internet connectivity (which recently caused some businesses including banks to shut down for the better part of a business day). It lacks a well-educated young work force (I believe the average age is ~39, but don't quote me, and although education rates look good, it's skewed higher due to the retired population).

It lacks inexpensive real estate (I presume commercial in addition to residential). It lacks much in the way of low/lower income housing (e.g. apartments). It is not on a major interstate or rail network. I can't speak to the regulatory environment or K-12 education compared to Phoenix. The airport lacks the runway length to allow for large aircraft and the scheduled air carrier routes or frequency to allow for convenient national and international air connectivity.

The greatest advantage is quality of life, which is difficult to quantify in terms of value to business. It is home to four post-secondary education institutions, two highly-rated hospitals, and - despite being a smaller town - has most every amenity most people (not sure about businesses) might want. As for other benefits, you'd have to ask Ace Hardware, M&I Windows, Print-Pak, Sturm Ruger, or Raytheon, as those are some of the larger local non-government employers. At one point, each decided to locate here despite the shortcomings noted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Amazon Fulfillment in Phoenix pays about $11/hour to start for basically unskilled labor. Could I get people in the greater Prescott area to work for that or would they turn up their noses because it's not a "decent" job?
$11/hour is not a decent job. As you alluded, it is starting pay (or slightly above) for unskilled labor. A "decent" job (at least as I'd define it) would allow you to purchase a small starter home in or near your place of work (30 minute commute). In this case, a minimum of $25 per hour, and more likely $30.

That said, I'm sure you could find people in Prescott willing to work for $11 an hour - but you might have more of a revolving door of employees and would spend so much on training and administrative overhead that it would be cheaper to pay $15 an hour and have a somewhat stable, loyal workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott