Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 03:15 AM

61 posts, read 137,048 times

Advertisements

I have never heard about this kind of roach problem, this is a big problem for your living you should call a cockroach exterminator or a pest control company. I also suggest you the same as "Serenity1944".
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,594 times
Hi, yes there are cockroaches in Prescott & Prescott Valley, but it's not the end of the world. It is irritating, but every area has something, and many parts of the US have roaches. I'll tell you what I've been doing about it...
To someone's question about whether they go away in the fall & winter, YES they do, after about mid October if I recall it's cold enough where you won't see them. Then after a good freeze they're gone until very late Spring, I didn't see any from October through most of May possibly early June. that's over 6 months of no insects at all, never even saw a spider in my house during that entire time and that's pretty nice half the year. I mean nothing.
Then summer comes after the rains, and the roaches come out. From most of the people I've talked to in this area, it's nowhere near as bad as one person mentioned where their driveway is covered and and they;re crunching them walking to the door. That actually sounds like some of the flying river insects from further south in Mayer, where they have Big Bug Creek and the name delivers, flying brown insects that are all over the place at certain times of year. They look like roaches but aren't. However it is possible the other poster was talking about roaches, but maybe that's out in the forest and hills and I'd say I don't know of anyone dealing with it like that. There are none in my driveway or yard right now and it's night time in June... however if we take a walk we may see a few out on the sidewalks in a mile or two stroll. They are here.
I have never had a big issue in the house, maybe 2-3 of them per year. They are more in the garage so controlling that is key.
So here's what I do:

1) get a gallon of roach and insect spray from any home improvement store and do the outer perimeter of your house. The entire perimeter, and the inside perimeter of your garage.Do this every 2-3 months in the warm season. Just this alone keeps the problem way down and livable.
2) get roach bait stations (Combat, all the usual brands) and put them in your garage. they even make beige ones for in the house if you want to be extra safe. This is good because then you don't have to spray chemicals inside your house, and if you're lucky you may never get them inside
3) get some cheap sticky traps from the dollar store of home improvement. Put them in garage especially where the overhead door closes, this is a HUGE entry point for insects because there is often gaps and space where the garage door meets the garage wall & trim. The sticky traps will show you what is going on, what is coming in and where and they will get stuck and die. The ones that dont will get your bait stations or walk in the spray and die. I know people say not to use the spray where you are using bait stations, because you want the roaches to take the bait back to their nest & die. However in the garage I still spray first, then a day or two later I'll put the bait stations down and sticky traps. This two-fold approach kills and immobilizes them before they can get in my house or my boxes in the garage.
4) make sure you are caulking and weatherstripping all doors and entryways to get a good seal. Roaches can crush themselves down and get in ridiculously small openings, literally like 3 mm is enough room for a large one to get in, and truthfully you can't stop every one. but good weatherstripping and sealing gaps really helps. Fortunately the type of roaches that are here are not the infesting types, they live outside mainly. So put your bug spray barrier down and use sticky traps and stations, and you'll be good. Garage is a huge entry point, that's why I like to spray and put traps in the perimeter, and especially by the sides of your garage door.

These tips above have kept the issue at bay and make the place very livable. I hate roaches, disgusting, but other areas of the country I've lived there were mice, rats, centipedes, massive spiders, and mosquitos. There is virtually none of that in Prescott. So pick your poison. And scorpions down in Phoenix LOL. None of those here either, I have never seen one. Honestly there aren't lots of bugs here, you can go for a walk nearly any time of day or night and not have issues like in other parts of the country.

(This is tougher in an apartment where you share walls, especially i older buildings where there are gaps and cracks. If you are concerned about this and moving to this area, try to get into a newer place. It helps because there are less gaps and old weatherstripping and stuff seals up better when its new. This is key to keeping them out. If you're stuck in an apartment or sharing walls, try to spray your perimeter and use the traps, and keep food and water put away especially at night. If they dont have a food source it will be hard for the roaches to continue. Bait stations will wipe them out. Seal all cracks and holes in shared walls.)

Best of luck with it. And remember Fall/Winter is coming, respite from all bugs!

Old 07-12-2019, 08:19 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
We get them about once a year in PV. When I see them I just get a generic insect spray that I use with a hose end sprayer and I spray the outside foundation of the home all the way around.
They disappear for the rest of the year in very short order.
I usually spray around March or so.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:04 PM

555 posts, read 595,469 times
We found one in our house; the BF found a small hole that needed sealing and that problem went away, thankfully. I've seen one or two out on the patio. I can live with one or two outside...

Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 AM

7 posts, read 5,419 times
Smile We had cockroaches

I purchased a product called vendetta plus from Amazon...knocked them out in a week. We dont have any kids or pets
4 pack wa# 28 dollars. My daughter in NY bought individual tubes on eBay I only used 3/4 of one tube...worked great it is a gel bait...

Old 07-16-2019, 02:59 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Keep on hand some household ammonia, and mix it with with water in a spray bottle. Spray that along counter corners, baseboards, underneath sinks, etc. and that will discourage roaches, silverfish, and ants. Roaches like a dark, moist environment. When it gets hot, roaches and ants seek out water as well.

Another tip is to pour a little bit of bleach down your drains every night and keep them closed. You can use sticky traps, as others have mentioned, but those won’t get rid of an infestation. However, they will give you a sampling to help you determine whether or not you have a problem and how extensive it might be. Last but not least, as others have also mentioned, get some caulking and seal up any holes or cracks, particularly along baseboards and inside cabinets and similar areas. Best of luck to you. Finding roaches in your apartment is distressing, indeed.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,699 times
Get professional pesticides... see domyown.com for advice.

Roaches have one behaviour that is a huge advantage for you and the right pesticide: they groom. Meaning they are constantly rubbing their faces and cleaning their feet (https://www.wunc.org/post/cockroache...grooming-habit).
So if you spray some of the modern suspended capsule poisons, specifically for roaches, they will be wiped out and fast. Overnight as long as they walk over any area you've sprayed. And these sprays last for weeks, even outside. Pet safe indoors once they dry. Just set up a perimeter and get ready to collect roach corpses.

And, don't forget. Where cockroaches are, scorpions are sure to follow. And those are harder to kill, as they don't groom at all, being spiders and all.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 AM

33 posts, read 106,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger3939 View Post
However, when the sun goes down, literally the outside driveway, walkway and yard is a sea of them. Every step to my car, you can hear the crunching sounds of stepping on them.

WHAAAA?!?!?!? EW. No thanks. Sounds like your landlord is a slumlord!

In our rentals, we use what the pros use; Advion. SO worth it. Not one roach in over 10 years!! And, you know... we CLEAN.

It's super easy to use- just squeeze out a dot behind the fridge, in cracks and crevices, etc. (watch the video) And SERIOUSLY works!!!

https://www.domyown.com/advion-cockr...SABEgIIlPD_BwE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott