Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,750 times

Advertisements

Went to Prescott to visit and everyone was so friendly didn't get any stares and the locals came up to us and asked us how we were ect..but me and my husband are in our mid 20s with 2 kids is it very racist in Prescott will my kids get picked on for being black will they. Be excepting of us moving there I didn't see any black people on our trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
The area is pretty gringo but the vast majority of people in the area are very nice and laid back. I wouldn't expect much trouble. A lot of parents might thank you for exposing their kids to a little more diversity One thing I would worry about is education doesn't seem to be a high priority for the government up here. They just closed / consolidated a few schools. Also the economy is rough up here. If you have a job lined up or can bring your job with you this is a great area, but landing here looking for jobs can be a real problem.

I dig it. Four seasons, none of them too extreme, big enough to have most of the shopping you could want, close to Phoenix/a big city, lots and lots to do within a few hours car ride. If you are in to hiking and camping this is a great area. Relatively low crime and not too expensive to live in.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Portia336:
Quote:
Went to Prescott to visit and everyone was so friendly didn't get any stares and the locals came up to us and asked us how we were ect..but me and my husband are in our mid 20s with 2 kids is it very racist in Prescott will my kids get picked on for being black will they. Be excepting of us moving there I didn't see any black people on our trip
I don't think so. Your first statement speaks volumes. In the 5 years that I've lived here I've yet to hear anyone speak in racist tones. In the end it's how you treat other people that really counts. If you are outgoing and friendly, no matter what race you are you will blend in with the rest of us. I've found that since moving out here complete strangers will wave to you which was unheard of in New York.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,608 times
I have family in Glendale and my Niece has spoke of Cottonwood as being her favorite little town. We are from a small town in Wyoming 17,000. We are interested in relocating there or close to Cottonwood. Wish we were closer to retirement, we are about 10 years away from it and wondered about jobs around there too. Where do people go for jobs that live in the town?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:58 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
Portia336, Prescott and the area is very conservative and Republican. My neighbor's are African American. I have run into more people than I care to admit that have referred to President Obama as the "n" word. Back in 2008 one of the schools in Prescott had a Muriel painted on the school building depicting of young students playing and one is of a African American boy playing basketball and the Prescott Mayor and some of the City Council felt he was too dark of color and had the color toned down and it made the national news. However; this area is like a melting pot and people from all over the country and world relocate to this area. If you like this area, the worrisome is more trying to make a decent living, Arizona is the right to work state and the wages are hard to live on.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,750 times
Thank you guys for your input I feel much better

Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM

Portia336:
Quote:
Thank you guys for your input I feel much better
Well then start packin'. You'll get along fine here.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 PM

77 posts, read 132,301 times
I reckon' probably about 100 places are better suited to folks of your certain kind:

I've heard that Macon is Very Racist - True?

One of the best things about Prescott in my opinion is its homogenous, traditional nature.

Not everyone under the sun wants to be progressive, and what's more shouldn't be forced to live as such.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:05 PM

SickOfAllThePC1983:
Quote:
Not everyone under the sun wants to be progressive, and what's more shouldn't be forced to live as such.
I'll have to agree with that statement, I've seen what those policies have done to New York State. God forbid it should ever happen here. This was but one of the reasons why we chose to move here. The other was a life long desire to live in the Southwest. Not to mention the 2nd Amendment freedoms that are severely lacking in the Northeast.

Unfortunately there is racism everywhere. At least in the 5 years I've lived here I haven't heard too many people speaking in racial tones, at least not those that I have met. From the sound of "Portia336" post they sound like good people who love this place as much as we do. If there is a lot of racism out here and they do decide to move, I would hope that people accept them for who they are and not the color of their skin. No, I do not care for Obama at all but we can't judge all black people to be like him. After all there are also the Ben Carson's the Tim Scott's and the Clarence Thomas's and a host of other Conservative black politicians who I greatly admire.

I am a white "right wing" Conservative that grew up in an all white small "Conservative" town along the Hudson River. Yes they do exist in New York State and the New York metro area does not represent the entire state although they rule it with an iron fist. There was one black family that lived in that town of 5,000 and they were not looked upon as being any different than the rest of us. My wife and I both went to school with their children and we all shared a lot of great times together. Good down to earth people every one of them.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-08-2015 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 08:40 AM

19 posts, read 34,049 times
I'm white, but I'd say live where you want. There are mean-spirited or ignorant people no matter where you go, but I feel, racially, they are in the minority. In this day and age most people are beyond skin color, and some are even beyond issues over religion. Be comfortable in your skin, and don't let the media scare you out of believing most people are good. I was reminded of this amongst thousands of people on 4th of July celebrating and bbqing and kids wandering around and some blasting music and there were no noticeable issues or problems. Everyone had their spots, and shared facilities, and it was great to see. Wishing you well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott