Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:30 AM

18 posts, read 25,653 times

Advertisements

We are considering for retirement next year towns outside Asheville, Portland and Phoenix. However, when we research Zillow photos, an awfully high percentage of nice homes in Prescott and the surrounding area have burglar bars, which to us is a major turn off. To a Chicago suburbanite like myself, it is code for "bad neighborhood".

Is it due to the rehab industry I've been reading about? My understanding is when a guy flunks the program and is kicked out, his only source of income is breaking and entering.

Thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 08:16 AM

61 posts, read 72,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo2016 View Post
...it is code for "bad neighborhood".

Is it due to the rehab industry I've been reading about? My understanding is when a guy flunks the program and is kicked out, his only source of income is breaking and entering....
That's my thoughts as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:56 AM

122 posts, read 154,709 times
Check the crime statistics for Prescott, it's low. We came from the Chicago area too and by comparison crime in Prescott is non-existent. We don't have any burglar bars on our doors and windows, I'm not concerned one bit (tho we do have a home alarm system, some habits are hard to break). And I think the "rehab problem" in the area is overstated by some. Yeah, there's some vagrants around, but they're not that plentiful (nothing like some Chicago areas), and they never bother us. They mostly sit around quietly with signs asking for money, which I often will give if I have some singles on me. I never feel threatened anywhere I go, nor does my girlfriend. BTW, some laws were recently passed in AZ that allow cities to adopt tougher control over rehab houses, Prescott is working on a new ordinance to enact tougher regulations on local rehab facilities, I think the number of rehab homes will continue to drop (they've supposedly already dropped by 50% or so over the last year or two), and the ones which will remain should be the better managed ones under the new regulations.

Come and check the area out for yourself, we love it out here.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:10 AM

65 posts, read 121,808 times
Many homeowners vent their homes in spring and fall by opening their doors, and the security doors provide security while doors are open. You will notice barred windows only in some commercial buildings and a few homes in certain areas. Note: near golf courses some windows are protected with mesh from errant balls.

Another factor is that many Prescott area homes are second homes and are often unoccupied for stretches. Yet, again, no major barring of windows. Yes, there are thriving businesses here for security alarm and surveillance and installers of security doors -- but we have no major crime wave, I assure you.

There may be safer areas here and areas less safe, and that's the case everywhere. On the whole, though, I consider the Prescott quad-city area way above average on safety for person and property. Don't be put off by the security doors.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin Mann View Post
Many homeowners vent their homes in spring and fall by opening their doors, and the security doors provide security while doors are open. You will notice barred windows only in some commercial buildings and a few homes in certain areas. Note: near golf courses some windows are protected with mesh from errant balls.

Another factor is that many Prescott area homes are second homes and are often unoccupied for stretches. Yet, again, no major barring of windows. Yes, there are thriving businesses here for security alarm and surveillance and installers of security doors -- but we have no major crime wave, I assure you.

There may be safer areas here and areas less safe, and that's the case everywhere. On the whole, though, I consider the Prescott quad-city area way above average on safety for person and property. Don't be put off by the security doors.

Exactly the reasons I was thinking of. It doesn't necessarily spell high crime at all.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:51 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,629,946 times
Where I live up in Pronghorn Ranch, there are a few security doors on the front entrance. We are actually getting one installed by Home Depot in a couple weeks, but I can tell you that crime is below average compared to most of the state.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:01 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,421 times
Just like how back in the 1950's you didnt need to lock your doors unless you lived in a "bad neighborhood". Times change and taking caution in your security measures does not define the character of your neighborhood.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:06 PM

18 posts, read 25,653 times
Thank you for your insights. It did not occur to me that it was for venting. We're thinking of checking out Prescott over the holidays. Glad to learn they are getting a handle on the rehab houses situation. But if I did buy there I couldn't have the burglar bars on my front door!

Old 10-03-2016, 09:45 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo2016 View Post
Thank you for your insights. It did not occur to me that it was for venting. We're thinking of checking out Prescott over the holidays. Glad to learn they are getting a handle on the rehab houses situation. But if I did buy there I couldn't have the burglar bars on my front door!
I've never thought of them as 'burglar bars'. They are security doors, and they're only used for cross-venting through the house during the cool summer nights. If someone really wanted to break in a house, they could just break a window. However, that's a death wish, since gun ownership is extremely high.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:14 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,629,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
I've never thought of them as 'burglar bars'. They are security doors, and they're only used for cross-venting through the house during the cool summer nights. If someone really wanted to break in a house, they could just break a window. However, that's a death wish, since gun ownership is extremely high.
With gun ownership high, I guess people don't need to install home security such as ADT or Brinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott