Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 PM

330 posts, read 177,221 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for a place for retirement. One of the areas I am seriously looking at is the Prescott area.

My ideal is a large lot/small estate (1 acre or less) in a wooded or semi-wooded area.

I am NOT interested in a standard subdivision with 5 - 10KSF lots, nor am I interested in a desert landscape.

I am wondering if such an area exists in the Prescott area (including surrounding areas), and if so, I would like to have a few names to research. A fishing lake nearby, and a place to shoot my guns would be an added bonus, as would a place for big-game hunting.

Your input/advice/wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 10 2 4; 08-17-2017 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2 4 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a place for retirement. One of the areas I am seriously looking at is the Prescott area.

My ideal is a large lot/small estate (1 acre or less) in a wooded or semi-wooded area.

I am NOT interested in a standard subdivision with 5 - 10KSF lots, nor am I interested in a desert landscape.

I am wondering if such an area exists in the Prescott area (including surrounding areas), and if so, I would like to have a few names to research. A fishing lake nearby, and a place to shoot my guns would be an added bonus, as would a place for big-game hunting.

I didn't realize this was such a hard question.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
I would say off hand that you are looking at South Prescott, maybe North Prescott.
But having lived in the South area for some 4 years I favor it. It borders the National Forest for shooting too.
Goldwater Lake is not far away but it's only good for stock Rainbow.
We looked a property in that area 5 years ago and found many 1-3 acre places like you want.
Be careful not to select an area too far off the highway for access when it snows or a fire starts.
Good Luck

Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I would say off hand that you are looking at South Prescott, maybe North Prescott.
But having lived in the South area for some 4 years I favor it. It borders the National Forest for shooting too.
Goldwater Lake is not far away but it's only good for stock Rainbow.
We looked a property in that area 5 years ago and found many 1-3 acre places like you want.
Be careful not to select an area too far off the highway for access when it snows or a fire starts.
Good Luck
Thank you.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 AM

122 posts, read 154,636 times
You'll want to check out the southern and western areas around Prescott. Also check out the Walker, Groom Creek, Highland Pines, and Dearing Park areas.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crad View Post
You'll want to check out the southern and western areas around Prescott. Also check out the Walker, Groom Creek, Highland Pines, and Dearing Park areas.
Thank you. I've been checking Zillow and found some of those areas.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 PM

114 posts, read 253,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2 4 View Post
Hi,

We live in Highland Pines and love it. Not only is it incredibly beautiful with breathtaking views but there is a great community here and everyone looks out for one another. We don't have a large lake nearby (more like a "pond" at Granite Basin Lake) but we do have an area for shooting. If you ever need a realtor, let me know. Our realtor was great. In fact we have used her in 3 separate transactions. Good luck in your search!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
A lot of people go to Doce Pit to shoot. It's right off of Iron Springs Road about 10 minutes west from the intersection of Williamson Valley Road. Unfortunately many do not pick up after themselves. After awhile they'll screw it up for all the rest of us. It's bad enough that there are those who will find any excuse to prohibit people from owning guns in the first place. Why give them another reason?

Myself I like to take a drive out into the middle of nowhere where there's no one around to go shooting. I never leave anything behind except for footprints. I'll even pick up all my empty shell casings from 22's to .45's. I saw enough litter when I lived in the New York metro area. Although there's not nearly as much litter out here. Let's help keep it that way.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:06 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Yes, my wife and I found an area in the National Forest just off HWY 89 to shoot and enjoyed it. But others shot trees and left crap they brought to "shoot up" and ruined it.
The FS closed the area to all.
Please pickup after yourself!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeela View Post
We live in Highland Pines and love it. Not only is it incredibly beautiful with breathtaking views but there is a great community here and everyone looks out for one another. We don't have a large lake nearby (more like a "pond" at Granite Basin Lake) but we do have an area for shooting. If you ever need a realtor, let me know. Our realtor was great. In fact we have used her in 3 separate transactions. Good luck in your search!
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott