Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 04:40 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I'm in the same boat. I don't like to wheel just for the sake of wheeling. Have you been to ghosttowns.com?
No, will look it up now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 07:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
I seem to remember taking an old '85 Honda CVCC up La Posta Truck Trail to the top of Mt Laguna once upon a time . . .

Old 09-24-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I seem to remember taking an old '85 Honda CVCC up La Posta Truck Trail to the top of Mt Laguna once upon a time . . .

Old 09-24-2019, 09:09 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
It's generally the cable winches that are factory wound. I've converted to synth for winching after seeing a few videos of cable fails, and the weight savings. The first winch I ever owned was a Warn 8000 with the cable, and driving was a night and day difference after installing it. Latest is a 9500# Superwinch with the synth, I carried it into the garage one handed, and I couldn't tell it was there after installing it. I did have to wind it myself with tension, but I just tied it to the wife's Land Cruiser and winched myself to it.
Yeah sorry...wasn't trying to malign anyone...just down here in Chandler we have so many mall crawlers and JKUs that have never and will never see the dirt it is ridiculous. But they'll dump $thousands into accessories, lifts, tops and stereos just to look like they could be serious, get tired of the buckboard ride after a year and sell them.

Agree about the cable winches...really heavy and will literally kill any performance on a pre-2012 JKU.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:34 PM

40 posts, read 44,429 times
Can anyone tell me the pavement quality of the Apache Trail? I heard it's pretty bad now.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:44 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Yeah sorry...wasn't trying to malign anyone...just down here in Chandler we have so many mall crawlers and JKUs that have never and will never see the dirt it is ridiculous. But they'll dump $thousands into accessories, lifts, tops and stereos just to look like they could be serious, get tired of the buckboard ride after a year and sell them.

Agree about the cable winches...really heavy and will literally kill any performance on a pre-2012 JKU.

Oh, don't worry I know you weren't referring to me. I live between Dallas and Fort Worth and that's all I see here also. I'd give someone the same advice if they're buying used, just to buy a two year old Jeep that someone has sunk tons of coin into already, but around here people drive the living crap out of their vehicles so it's not uncommon to see 2015's with well over 100k... actually quite the norm.

The winches that the Mall Crawlers get... almost without exception are those Smittybilt 8000#. I've actually heard they're not bad winches, but for my money, and with the exception of the Superwinch I bought, I'm going with Warn just because when you need it, you need it.

I actually have a good friend that has been Jeep shopping lately, and he's not listening to me when I tell him to prioritize a warranty and that new 8-speed automatic, keeps sending me links to these 2013-2017 JK's that look like some meat head owned them and put on Amazon.com bumpers, 4" spacer lift and 20" wheels for the price of a new JLU with zero miles. I even offered to fly out and help him install a "real" lift.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:33 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Heh...yeah I would definitely look at WHAT they put on/modified rather than taking it for granted. Too many break-downs on the trail from folks using cheap materials and then wondering why it failed 30 miles away from civilization.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:06 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Hey, as long as that JK has a few led lightbars and angry eyes grill, you know that bad boy can go every where, right?

Old 09-26-2019, 07:38 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Who needs a Jk when you can get a Renegade

/s

Old 09-26-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Hey, as long as that JK has a few led lightbars and angry eyes grill, you know that bad boy can go every where, right?
Wha......? I don't have a light bar or that grill...I better run out and get 'em so I can go everywhere with you guys too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott