Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,181 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the best forum to post this...

But I've tried posting locally, but it was in vain. I got one response.

What is the best way to find a good trainer for my 16 year old son? I've asked around, but no one seems to know. He lost his starting running back position after switching schools and played the linebacker position. Last season, he suffered an injury, and he was out a third of the season. It sounds like his coach is going to put him on the defensive line this coming season.

He has played the running back position since 5th grade, and I think he has the potential. He's lost his confidence, and I think a trainer might help boost his confidence and might possibly help him get his position back. I'm not expecting miracles, but I just want him to have the opportunity. I know there are no guarantees. He's trained at the Mack Brown camp, but that only lasts a couple of days. I'm looking for something one-on-one. I'm his mother, and I'm realizing that I can only push him so far. I know his drive has to come from within, but he's losing his confidence, it seems. I just don't want him to give up. I'm hoping a good trainer can get him back to where he was.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Hi Mrs.JT! I moderate the football forum, I'm good with the post being here. There are quite a bit of Big 12 fans who post here frequently, they'll be posting soon. Readers?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Hi Double H!

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Maybe it's the estrogen in me, lol...but this is a really sensitive subject for me. I've been working with my son since he was in 5th grade. I don't know a WHOLE lot about football, but I did what I could to encourage him. It's just disheartening to see him fall by the wayside.

My son's half brother is running back for ASU, and my son's uncle (father's side) did a short stint as safety for the Redskins. My brother was running back in high school...so I feel like it's in his blood. Again, I know there are no guarantees...but I'm quite certain at this level, he needs more than his mother to keep him on the path.

My last resort is a trainer. I think he just needs someone to offer him a little more guidance than I can. Well...a LOT more guidance and encouragement than I can.

So any help will be appreciated.

We're in the Austin area. If any can offer any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you for such a warm welcome!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
That's a tough one. If you lived in the greater Tampa Bay area I'd tell you to send him to me, but alas that is not the case.

Failing that, you can try contacting some of the local schools and seeing if they have some recommendations. There are lots of people looking to break into the coaching ranks either now or in the future and having some one on one trainer work is something that looks good on the resume, and some local coaches might be able to put you in touch with them. You could even contact the University of Texas about it. It's a long shot, but you might find that they have a grad assistant or something that would jump at that chance.

Those would be my first steps.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's a tough one. If you lived in the greater Tampa Bay area I'd tell you to send him to me, but alas that is not the case.

Failing that, you can try contacting some of the local schools and seeing if they have some recommendations. There are lots of people looking to break into the coaching ranks either now or in the future and having some one on one trainer work is something that looks good on the resume, and some local coaches might be able to put you in touch with them. You could even contact the University of Texas about it. It's a long shot, but you might find that they have a grad assistant or something that would jump at that chance.

Those would be my first steps.
No problem. We're packing our bags and heading to Tampa Bay for the summer!

...I wish.

As far as contacting local schools, do you suggest high schools, colleges or both? I emailed my son's coach for recommendations, but he never responded. (how lovely) I also attempted to contact a Univ. of Texas coach (Akina) who also happened to be my son's uncle's coach while he was at Arizona in the early 90's. We met him at the Mack Brown camp, and I was hopeful...he said he'd keep an eye on my son. Of course, I understand he's a busy man with a demanding schedule, and I never heard from him.

I was a little dissuaded after attempting to get recommendations at the high school and college level with no success, but at this point, persistence might be the key.

I was hoping to find a grad assistant or something similar like you'd suggested. I'd prefer someone who can have one on one time with my son who will also attend games and maybe even practices.

Summer break just started...but I feel time already ticking away. I really want to get a solid recommendation because I hate to do "test runs" with several trainers only to lose time in the end.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I'm hoping something comes through soon.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
I would definitely be calling both high schools and colleges. Actually, I would be writing them AND calling them. In my experience, they tend to avoid alot of phone calls but letters have a better chance of getting a response. Weird, but that's the way it goes.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I hear plenty about what YOU want and what YOU are pursuing... but, does HE even want to have a trainer?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I hear plenty about what YOU want and what YOU are pursuing... but, does HE even want to have a trainer?
Yes, Pitt Chick. I'M pursuing this because HE wants this. It was HIS request. I wouldn't be going through this otherwise.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited by Mrs.JT; 06-09-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Just wondering, as I have seen parents jump through hoops for their kids, and the kids could not care less!

Good luck finding the help he wants.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Just wondering, as I have seen parents jump through hoops for their kids, and the kids could not care less!

Good luck finding the help he wants.
Oh, no ma'am. I dont play the three ring circus game. No hoops in this house. My son's father passed away when my son was 6, so I've tried to offer him as much guidance and support as possible. As much as I am a mother to him, I am also his "father." I have to be hard on him, yet supportive. He has lost a bit of confidence, but I won't let him give up. He feels instruction from a trainer might bring him up to speed. So I'm going to do whatever I can to help him get there.

Thank your for your wish of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football