Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,814,620 times

Advertisements

We finally have a decent quarterback in AZ in Carson Palmer, even with his interception tendencies, but I can't believe that Tim Tebow wouldn't have done just as good a job or better. Why does every team reject a player who is THE character model for what a pro-sports player should be? They give 40 million to Aron Hernandez a drug addict who murders his friends, but claim they don't want Tebow because he can't throw? Give me a break. How did he earn the Heisman trophy - by pulling the wool over the eyes of every team he beat? He posseses the intangibles that produce a winner. Arm strength is overrated - look at all the quarterbacks with strong arms that couldn't finish games.

Last edited by KRAMERCAT; 12-31-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,309,160 times
I am happy to hear that about Tebow. Tebow appears to be a great person; and for me, he is beacon for this generation. I hope that it works out.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
We finally have a decent quarterback in AZ in Carson Palmer, even with his interception tendencies, but I can't believe that Tim Tebow wouldn't have done just as good a job or better.
You should believe that - because he would have failed, miserably - which is why he isn't in the league

Quote:
Why does every team reject a player who is THE character model for what a pro-sports player should be? They give 40 million to Aron Hernandez a drug addict who murders his friends, but claim they don't want Tebow because he can't throw?
You kind of answered your own question - Hernandez earned his paycheck by performing on the field doing what is demanded of his position. Tebow is out of the league because he can't throw, which is kind of important for a QB.

He was overdrafted because of those other factors and given opportunities because of those other factors - but the guy simply can't throw a football and wasn't progressing

Quote:
How did he earn the Heisman trophy - by pulling the wool over the eyes of every team he beat?
Troy Smith won it the year before him. It was one of the largest landslides in voting history. That led him to be a 5th round pick, get a chance in the NFL and he was able to swallow his pride and go to Canada to try his luck there and keep playing. Guy went 32-6 in college. He didn't pull the wool over anyones eyes or trick anyone - he just wasn't an NFL quarterback.

You can be a great college player without having much professional potential

Quote:
He posseses the intangibles that produce a winner.
So did Kellen Moore who was 50-3 in college. David Greene was 42-10. Troy Smith 32-6.

Ken Dorsey was 38-2 at Miami. Miami has produced some excellent QBs over their time. Dorsey broke their records. He was 2x national QB of the year, 2001 Maxwell award winner, co-MVP of a national championship team ........... 7th round pick and NFL flameout

Then you throw in this nugget on Tebow:

With his career on the line this preseason in a very QB friendly system playing against backups he went 11-for-30 for 145 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions at quarterback this preseason. Among the 82 quarterbacks with at least 30 pass attempts in the preseason, his 37 percent completion rate ranked last.

Since entering the league in 2010, Tebow ranks last in the NFL in completion percentage at 47.9 percent. He is the first quarterback with at least 300 attempts to complete less than 48 percent of his passes in his first three NFL seasons since Akili Smith from 1999 to 2001.

Akili Smith was a top 5 pick, yet no one questions why his career was over so quickly - it's because he couldn't throw the ball at the NFL level .... neither can Tebow and that's all that really matters

Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Really? I was a broadcast engineer for a network of stations a while back,.. did some on air stuff in a backup capacity also.

You are right about his past appearances, but he wasn't a "broadcaster". He will be now - so you are right - he will need to clean up some of his speaking habits.
I was the exact opposite. Always on-air with occasional dabbling in engineering - just enough to be dangerous.

I'm not a fan of Tebow the NFL QB, but that doesn't mean he can't be a competent analyst - as long as ESPN invests seriously in this endeavor and doesn't just throw him on the air for the sake of ratings.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again - if he's not working with a vocal coach as of yesterday his on-air delivery is gonna make even the worst color commentator you've ever heard sound like Don LaFontaine (in a world....).

I played radio for almost 15 years and I can tell you Tebow's voice is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Tim doesn't speak with any authority. He has two huge crutches - he uses "uhhh" or "um" after almost every sentence, and he sprinkles in bits of nervous laughter here and there. Last, but not least, he's got this flowery, sing-songy voice that reminds me of Ashton Kutcher's character in "Dude, Where's My Car?" That's great for a stupid 2-hour movie but it'll get tiresome really fast during a game broadcast.

He can certainly overcome these warts easier than he can learn to play football at the NFL level, but it's going to take work. If they simply throw a lavalier mic on him and let him go to town it's gonna be a train wreck.

He cannot be any worse than Emmit Smith, Ladainain Tomlinson, or (special NFL.com guest analyst) Clinton Portis. Oh my gawd!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
We finally have a decent quarterback in AZ in Carson Palmer, even with his interception tendencies, but I can't believe that Tim Tebow wouldn't have done just as good a job or better. Why does every team reject a player who is THE character model for what a pro-sports player should be? They give 40 million to Aron Hernandez a drug addict who murders his friends, but claim they don't want Tebow because he can't throw? Give me a break. How did he earn the Heisman trophy - by pulling the wool over the eyes of every team he beat? He posseses the intangibles that produce a winner. Arm strength is overrated - look at all the quarterbacks with strong arms that couldn't finish games.

Oh no, I thought Tebowites crawled back into their holes.
"Arm strength is overrated - look at all the quarterbacks with strong arms that couldn't finish games."
Tebow has a cannon arm ... I've seen him throw 75yd bombs all the time ... even when his receiver is running a 10yd route.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
we're never going to be rid of this tool are we?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we're never going to be rid of this tool are we?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:13 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,814,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Oh no, I thought Tebowites crawled back into their holes.
"Arm strength is overrated - look at all the quarterbacks with strong arms that couldn't finish games."
Tebow has a cannon arm ... I've seen him throw 75yd bombs all the time ... even when his receiver is running a 10yd route.
Where exactly did Tebow fail as a quarterback in the NFL?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times
Quote:
Where exactly did Tebow fail as a quarterback in the NFL?
With his career on the line this preseason in a very QB friendly system playing against backups he went 11-for-30 for 145 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions at quarterback this preseason. Among the 82 quarterbacks with at least 30 pass attempts in the preseason, his 37 percent completion rate ranked last.

Since entering the league in 2010, Tebow ranks last in the NFL in completion percentage at 47.9 percent. He is the first quarterback with at least 300 attempts to complete less than 48 percent of his passes in his first three NFL seasons since Akili Smith from 1999 to 2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football