Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,704 times

Advertisements

I just take off on Monday. I'd like to see the NFLPA implode and fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I dont have any objections to it being on Saturday; it seems like a decent idea. However, I dont have any issues with it being on Sunday either. Any adult should be able to handle a late night. We use to stay up playing poker after the game until like 1 or 2 and our entire group of friends still made it to work the next day just fine. I stay up to at least midnight every night so it isnt a big deal for me. Last year since my Pack was playing I took Monday off because I knew I would be up really late partying or I would be pissed off and not want to talk to anyone. I actually re-watched the entire game last year before I went to bed.

I dont think Saturday will ever happen because the NFL wants to make money off an entire weekend of events and the city hosting wants to squeeze every dollar out of the event they can. Since most of the country already watches and profit is already probably maximized, why change it?

If they moved it to Saturday night I could see viewership actually decreasing because the casual and non-fans would probably choose to go out to eat, to the movies, bowling or whatever else they normally do on Saturday night. Sunday night is a stay-in night for most people so the NFL gets to capitalized on that. The NFL is not going to take that risk when almost everyone watches the game as it is.

But there is a NFL game on saturday night the first two saturdays of january and the game gets plenty of viewership. And since the SB is such a major event I don't think anyone would go to the movies or dinner and not watch the biggest event of the year. The other thing about it being on sunday is that after you watch the highlights and postgame show it's like almost 2am which is why so many people call out that next day. I guess the only solution is to put in for that monday ahead of time so you won't have to worry about it.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,676 times
Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

I think at this point in popularity, a Saturday showing would be one of the best things they could do. I don't see the viewership going down whatsoever, I could see it only increasing (Seriously, no way it decreases). I mean, my friend who is from Germany and lives there is skipping school the next day with a group of friends just because they want to watch the Super Bowl, and their 6 hours ahead of us! (12:25am kickoff for them) This is Germany where she said the only NFL game they get is the Super Bowl lol.

But yeah, I think it's be a great idea. Business in bars would go up and I think people would have an even better time to make a night out of the Super Bowl, kind of like New Year's in a sense. In fact, I think as years go by, I could really see the NFL at least trying it out.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Seems like it would be better on the first Saturday night of February since there is no such thing as a holiday on the Monday after the Superbowl. By the game starting at 6:30pm it ends after 11pm because of the halftime show and if you are at a SB party it is so hard to go to work the next day. Having it on saturday allows all fans to have a blast and watch the game and could sleep until 1pm that following sunday. Plus that decrease the number of call-outs on the Monday after the Superbowl.

BTW: I had a job interview the Monday after the SB 3 years ago and the lady interiewing me could not make the interview because of a health emergency and it was called HUNGOVER.-lol
Interesting.. SB III started around 3.. should have been over by 6. must of been a JETS Fan! All of the first 10 or 11 SBs started around noon or 1 EST.. but Super Bowl was a late start for some reason....

I think a Saturday night game is a good idea. I think its played on Sunday only due to tradition..

Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but a lot of businesses are open till 9-10 pm on Saturday night. While on Sunday they close at 5-6 pm. This would be a lot of people missing the game if they have to be at work on Saturday night. Look at your local malls. I think most close around 5-6 on a Sunday but on Saturday they are open till 9-10 pm. That's a lot of people having to work.

The reason it's on Sunday is because..well..that's when all the games are usually played anyway. Sure you have playoff games on Saturday but that's because they can make money by televising the games. You have a few Saturday games once college football is over but I think you have to be on the NFL network to watch those.

Also, I'm not so sure bars and restaurants are going to do much better for an overall weekend in sales. If the Super Bowl is on Saturday night they will do well but be completely dead on Sunday. While as now they are doing good business on Sunday night for the game and there regular Saturday crowd. Not sure you'd really gain any business by having it on Saturday.

Seems like peoples reasons are more because they can't get to work the next day and that's not a problem with the game but more a problem of self discipline and having your priorities straight.

EDIT: One last thing. I think it would be a bad idea because you'd see more alcohol related accidents. A lot of people stay at home for the Super Bowl because they do have to work the next day. If it's on Saturday they will be out drinking which will raise the % of drunk drivers and statistically make it more properable that a alcohol related death will occur.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
That's actually an interesting question. One way to pilot that idea -- if they ever get a true NCAA playoff off the ground -- would be to have a Super Bowl of College Football, which would be played the night before the SB. If that's too close for the NFL's comfort, then they could have the college 'Super Bowl' played on a Saturday in between 'championship weekend' and the NFL Super Bowl. (Of course my wife would probably kick me out of the house for having yet another football game/sporting event on my schedule. ) If the NCAA Super Bowl turned out to be a huge hit, the NFL might try it out one year. I think they should try it out one year to see what happens anyway.

Maybe part of the problem now is that the Super Bowl has become such an event, such a hype show that it has taken on a life of its own, and they'd have to figure out ways to reorganize the festivities that lead up to the Super Bowl. But it really does make a lot more sense to have a Super Bowl on a Saturday, given that the time keeps getting pushed back to almost 6:30 p.m. on the east coast. I could envision a day when the Super Bowl finishes at midnight, which would end up hurting the NFL I think.
I love the idea of testing the National Championship game on a Saturday night. With a play-off leading up to it of course! We can only dream....

I don't think the potential for more alcohol related accidents matters. Those that will get that wasted and drive drunk on a Saturday would surely do it on a Sunday too, right? Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I love the idea of testing the National Championship game on a Saturday night. With a play-off leading up to it of course! We can only dream....

I don't think the potential for more alcohol related accidents matters. Those that will get that wasted and drive drunk on a Saturday would surely do it on a Sunday too, right? Maybe I'm wrong.
You have to look at it from a % stand point. More people would be out and about on Saturday night versus Sunday night. (because of no work Sunday) Agree?

Well, if you add 50,000 more people going out to watch the game you're going to see more alcohol related accidents.

It's the same concept as to why you see less accidents on the road at 5 a.m. versus 5 p.m. More traffic equals more accients.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have it on Saturday simply because of that issue.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM

417 posts, read 365,938 times
I promise all of you that this question has been poised to the NFL many times in the past, and I'm sure they have reasons we aren't even thinking about and reasons already discussed for why it stays Sunday.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either way. I already requested off that Monday at the beginning of January before anyone else at my office could request off. Think ahead guys

Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
The host cities would never go for it. There are activities (fan fests) for a few days before the SB. Attendance is greatest on Saturday because that's when people are off work. (And a lot of the familes that go don't have tickets to the game itself.)

Host cities make million$$ off the event and the "extra" day (Saturday) is a huge part of that. No restaurant, bar, hotel, store, whatever, in the host city wants to loose that money. (Dallas lost a ton last year because the weather was so bad. I heard complaints about not even being able to get a taxi to leave the hotel because of the snow and frozen conditions. No one could get out to party and spend money.)

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

Seems like peoples reasons are more because they can't get to work the next day and that's not a problem with the game but more a problem of self discipline and having your priorities straight.

Pretty much what I thought reading through the posts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football