Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times

Advertisements

Report: AEG L.A. stadium proposal “essentially dead” to NFL | ProFootballTalk

Quote:
The plan to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles could be hitting a substantial roadblock.

After the L.A. City Council approved eight measures in September related to AEG’s proposal to build a stadium in downtown Los Angeles, the plan has potentially several issues that could derail the process.

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, the proposal is “essentially dead” to the NFL due to numerous issues with the plan.

“The numbers just don’t work, no matter how you look at the deal,” a league source told Cole in February. “It’s either too hard for AEG to make money [and pay the debt on the stadium] or too hard for the team. I just can’t see a way for it to work.”
I'm not a Californian, never have been and likely never will be, but the "LA Story" when it comes to the NFL seems to be kinda odd from the start. Since the Rams and Raiders left the Los Angeles market, we've heard countless rumors of teams relocating. We've heard stories of new stadiums being built in Chavez Ravine, City of Industry, Anaheim, Irvine, ect, ect.. We've heard stories of a renovated Coliseum, we've basically been fed a line for years.

In 2000, Los Angeles was all but given a franchise (which turned into the Houston Texans) but the league and city couldn't come to terms on a stadium plan.

I've heard countless reasons from people why Los Angeles shouldn't get another shot at a team, and it mostly stems from people saying that the teams lacked support from fans and the community which I've found to be false.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I believe the Rams averaged about 62,500 fans per game in 1980 when they moved to Anaheim, and I know that between the two, the Rams and Raiders averaged over 98,000 fans (combined) for home games in 1983, and around 93,000 fans (combined) for home games in their final season in Los Angeles in 1994.

93,000 fans for two franchises would lead one to believe that Los Angeles would have no problem selling out a 65,000 seat stadium.

Keep in mind, the Rams were a terrible team in the early 90's and the Raiders weren't too much better, so the team doesn't "have" to win every season.

I think the biggest hurdle to the league moving back to Los Angeles has to do more with AEG wanting to purchase part ownership of a team (at a discounted rate) while still charging the team rent. I don't believe a single owner would be willing to give up part ownership as all teams in the league are making money. Then comes the relocation fee that's estimated at close to $700 million. Who's willing to pay that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

I've heard countless reasons from people why Los Angeles shouldn't get another shot at a team, and it mostly stems from people saying that the teams lacked support from fans and the community which I've found to be false.
It is false. At least as far as the Rams go.

They were a much-loved team with a solid fan base until Georgia Frontier inherited the team after Carroll Rosenbloom died. She made a series of horrible moves that served to alienate the fans. (Most of which I've banished from my mind as one horrible memory.) Fans would stand and boo and swear at her when she walked out onto the field. She was absolutely hated. (She was hated. Never the team or the players.)

And she knew it. So she went for the money and in one big "F You" to the fans she moved the team to St. Louis.

Had Rosenbloom not died and left the team to her the Rams would never have left Southern California.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Had Rosenbloom not died and left the team to her the Rams would never have left Southern California.
I know all of the stories of Rosenbloom and Frontiere, at the time, Rosenbloom and Hugh Culverhouse were close acquaintances and there were a lot of stories in the press about some of the parties they threw in Florida.

Not to name drop, but I've also met and had discussions about various things NFL related with Jack Youngblood (who lives in the Orlando area) and Fred Dryer (who I met involving business with his personal production company.) and neither had particularly nice things to say about Georgia.

I think had the Rams never moved from Los Angeles to Anaheim and allowed an "in" for another team to move to Los Angeles, that the Raiders would have never left Oakland and the Rams would still be in Los Angeles today.

Nothing against St. Louis, but I thought it was a crime to move the Rams away from Los Angeles, but then I also thought it was a crime for the Oilers to leave Houston and the Browns to leave Cleveland, although everything in those circumstances worked themselves out.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

Not to name drop, but I've also met and had discussions about various things NFL related with Jack Youngblood (who lives in the Orlando area) and Fred Dryer (who I met involving business with his personal production company.) and neither had particularly nice things to say about Georgia.
Name drop away. (Blood and Freddy were two of my favorite players.)

I have zero problems believing that, BTW. Jerome Bettis went so far as to mention some of the problems with her in his book.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
Quote:
Nothing against St. Louis, but I thought it was a crime to move the Rams away from Los Angeles, but then I also thought it was a crime for the Oilers to leave Houston and the Browns to leave Cleveland, although everything in those circumstances worked themselves out.

How about Colts to Indianapolis?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,332 times
i'm not surprised by this, now L.A. wants to host the Summer Olympics in 2024, i bet L.A. will still be without an NFL team by then, and no new modern Football stadium will have been built yet, heck I bet people will be living on the Moon before L.A. gets a team, yes I know that L.A. is the second-largest media-market, metropolitan area, city, region in America, logically that would make good business sense to have an NFL team there, but if the NFL really wanted a team in L.A. that badly, they would have done so many years ago, like a decade ago, but the NFL loves having L.A. vacant of the NFL, because it serves as leverage, as a bargaining-chip, black-mail to get stadium deals done elsewhere by using L.A. has a relocation threat

Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It is false. At least as far as the Rams go.

They were a much-loved team with a solid fan base until Georgia Frontier inherited the team after Carroll Rosenbloom died. She made a series of horrible moves that served to alienate the fans. (Most of which I've banished from my mind as one horrible memory.) Fans would stand and boo and swear at her when she walked out onto the field. She was absolutely hated. (She was hated. Never the team or the players.)

And she knew it. So she went for the money and in one big "F You" to the fans she moved the team to St. Louis.

Wow, that reminds me of Norm Green and the North Stars. The North Stars always had a faithful fanbase even through the bad years. They were looking at renovating Metropolitan Arena and one of the plans was to incorporate it into the proposed Mall of America. But then it came out that Norm was a pig with his female employees. He was sued for sexual harassment and lost in court. His big FU was taking the North Stars to Texas. Still haunts me how we lost that team. I don't wish that on anyone.

I remember the heydays of the rivalry between the Vikes and Rams in the 70's. Those fans in LA were great, faithful fans. The Vikings broke their hearts many times and a few times just because we had home field advantage and the Rams had to play in our climate.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wow, that reminds me of Norm Green and the North Stars. The North Stars always had a faithful fanbase even through the bad years. They were looking at renovating Metropolitan Arena and one of the plans was to incorporate it into the proposed Mall of America. But then it came out that Norm was a pig with his female employees. He was sued for sexual harassment and lost in court. His big FU was taking the North Stars to Texas. Still haunts me how we lost that team. I don't wish that on anyone...
aren't you forgetting something?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
aren't you forgetting something?
Please help! This should be good

Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Please help! This should be good
Norm Sucks! Norm Sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football