Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 PM

39 posts, read 54,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Two worst QB's in the divisions are Romo and Vick which means the division will be decided between the skins and giants
I beg to differ. I'm gonna repost a portion of something I posted earlier in another thread.

Beginning in 2006 through the current year, only three QBs have a 64% completion percentage, 25,000 yards, 175 touchdowns and fewer than 100 interceptions. Wanna guess who? Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Tony Romo. Tony is also the only quarterback in the league to put up a 90+ passer rating every year since 2006 (Aaron Rodgers has done so since 2007). The only other players in NFL history to have such a streak are Steve Young (1991-98) and Peyton Manning (2003-10). Romo also has a 100.7 career passer rating in the fourth quarter and overtime, including the playoffs, which is the highest among all quarterbacks since 2000, and his 95.6 career passer rating is fifth all-time.

The point being, despite all the hate he receives from virtually everyone (including some Cowboys fans), Tony Romo's pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomusic01 View Post
I beg to differ. I'm gonna repost a portion of something I posted earlier in another thread.

Beginning in 2006 through the current year, only three QBs have a 64% completion percentage, 25,000 yards, 175 touchdowns and fewer than 100 interceptions. Wanna guess who? Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Tony Romo. Tony is also the only quarterback in the league to put up a 90+ passer rating every year since 2006 (Aaron Rodgers has done so since 2007). The only other players in NFL history to have such a streak are Steve Young (1991-98) and Peyton Manning (2003-10). Romo also has a 100.7 career passer rating in the fourth quarter and overtime, including the playoffs, which is the highest among all quarterbacks since 2000, and his 95.6 career passer rating is fifth all-time.

The point being, despite all the hate he receives from virtually everyone (including some Cowboys fans), Tony Romo's pretty darn good.

But when his career his over the only thing that will be remebered is that he didn't win in the playoffs. So i try not to get caught up in stats because i know at the end of the day the amount of wins is what matters to most fans not his QB rating. I just know that the three times the season was on the line and the Cowboys needed a win to get in the playoffs, Romo came up small

2008-loss to eagles
2011-loss to eagles
2012-loss to skins

So I don't think he can be grouped in with Tom Brady and Peyton because their teams always make the playoffs. Since 2006, the Cowboys has missed the playoffs 4 times but I can't say the same for Brady and Manning. And if Romo was that good the team would have been in the playoffs more than 3 times in 7 years.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM

See my post here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/31255445-post1082.html

Football is a team game, and it's completely misguided to judge an individual player's performance on his team's success. That works in basketball at times, when one player can and often does "carry" a team, but not in football. The Patriots and Colts have been two of the most consistently well-run, well-coached organizations in the NFL. Is it any coincidence, then, that they're always in the playoffs? The Cowboys have been (hopefully this is changing) one of the most dysfunctional, poorly coached, most overrated teams in the league. I'm not suggesting that Romo is the equal of a Brady or Peyton Manning - he isn't. Those guys are two of the greatest players in the history of the NFL. And Romo has made some really stupid mistakes at bad times. But so have other players that everyone considers "elite." And of course every interception, fumble, incomplete pass, etc. is pinned on the QB even when it's got nothing to do with him.

It's just become a tired football meme that Romo is a choker and can't lead a team to success, just like the narrative that used to follow Peyton Manning around. Then he got good team (esp. defensive) performances for a few key games and won a ring, and suddenly a lot of that noise went away. They're silly narratives that media talking heads spout off about because they don't cater to people who really know and understand football. They cater to the casual fan who wants compelling, easy to digest narratives and labels. Remember when Tom Brady was the next Joe Montana? He's cool, calm and never loses in the clutch/in the playoffs. At least until he did. Peyton Manning was the new Dan Marino: very talented, accumulates ridiculous stats, but can't win a ring.. until he did. Brett Favre was notorious for making countless stupid mistakes, but because he won a ring people didn't see him as a choker - they viewed him as "the gunslinger."

All that stuff is fine for casual fans who view the NFL like a soap opera. But if you dig deeper, it's a little more complex than that.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
See my post here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/31255445-post1082.html

Football is a team game, and it's completely misguided to judge an individual player's performance on his team's success. That works in basketball at times, when one player can and often does "carry" a team, but not in football. The Patriots and Colts have been two of the most consistently well-run, well-coached organizations in the NFL. Is it any coincidence, then, that they're always in the playoffs? The Cowboys have been (hopefully this is changing) one of the most dysfunctional, poorly coached, most overrated teams in the league. I'm not suggesting that Romo is the equal of a Brady or Peyton Manning - he isn't. Those guys are two of the greatest players in the history of the NFL. And Romo has made some really stupid mistakes at bad times. But so have other players that everyone considers "elite." And of course every interception, fumble, incomplete pass, etc. is pinned on the QB even when it's got nothing to do with him.

It's just become a tired football meme that Romo is a choker and can't lead a team to success, just like the narrative that used to follow Peyton Manning around. Then he got good team (esp. defensive) performances for a few key games and won a ring, and suddenly a lot of that noise went away. They're silly narratives that media talking heads spout off about because they don't cater to people who really know and understand football. They cater to the casual fan who wants compelling, easy to digest narratives and labels. Remember when Tom Brady was the next Joe Montana? He's cool, calm and never loses in the clutch/in the playoffs. At least until he did. Peyton Manning was the new Dan Marino: very talented, accumulates ridiculous stats, but can't win a ring.. until he did. Brett Favre was notorious for making countless stupid mistakes, but because he won a ring people didn't see him as a choker - they viewed him as "the gunslinger."

All that stuff is fine for casual fans who view the NFL like a soap opera. But if you dig deeper, it's a little more complex than that.

The Qb is criticized the most because it's the most important position on the team along with one of the highest paying positions. If a team doesn't have a QB who is good and mistake free then chances are they won't go very far because turning over the ball gives the other team more chances to score. If Romo can just stop throeing interceptions in BIG GAMES then maybe he can start to make some noise in these next 3 to 4 years. I will always remember this statement by Joe Theismann

"As an NFL QB, you don't have to be the reason your team loses a game but you damm sure can't be the reason they lose the game"

Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I think the Skins win the NFC East this year. Giants will probably be 8-8 this year providing Eli stays healthy. Not sure how Dallas and Philly will place, but I'd guess Dallas will finish around 9-7 and the Skins 11-5.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
The Qb is criticized the most because it's the most important position on the team along with one of the highest paying positions. If a team doesn't have a QB who is good and mistake free then chances are they won't go very far because turning over the ball gives the other team more chances to score. If Romo can just stop throeing interceptions in BIG GAMES then maybe he can start to make some noise in these next 3 to 4 years. I will always remember this statement by Joe Theismann

"As an NFL QB, you don't have to be the reason your team loses a game but you damm sure can't be the reason they lose the game"
The "big" games generally happen in December, January and the playoffs, right? Well.. Romo has conveniently played in exactly 16 such games in the last four years. In those 16 games, he's led three 4th quarter comebacks, had a 95+ rating six times and a 100+ rating five times, had zero turnovers six times, and only thrown more than one interception exactly one time. If you turned those 16 games into a full season, you'd have this stat line: 400-593 (67.5%), 4696 yards, 33 TD, 8 INT, 104.2 passer rating. That's almost MVP caliber.

But let's look at the games you named.

2008 Wk. 17 vs. Eagles
Tony Romo: 21-39, 183 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT. 2 Fumbles.

Not a great game, but not terrible. The fumbles, of course, get pinned on Romo even though they were caused by sacks that were allowed by an exceedingly porous offensive line. They were both returned for touchdowns, which apparently also has something to do with Romo for some reason(?). Also overlooked is the fact that Dallas had 19 rush attempts for 87 yards (11 of them coming from Romo), while Philly had 36 rushes for 137 yards and a touchdown.

2011 Wk. 16 vs. Eagles
Tony Romo attempted two passes before injuring his throwing hand, I really hope you're not going to pin that one on him. I don't know of many QBs who can win a game from the bench. For your sake I'll assume you meant the Week 17 game against the Giants.

2011 Wk. 17 vs. Giants
Tony Romo: 29-37, 289 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT. 1 Fumble.

Despite a bruised and swollen throwing hand (see above), and despite being sacked six times(!) and pressured/knocked down a number of other times behind a terrible line, Romo turns in a game good enough for a 106.0 passer rating. The one interception came in the middle of the 3rd quarter, and it led to nothing more than a turnover on downs for the Giants. And, of course, the fumble came on a sack - which, by the way, came with less than two minutes left when the game was already out of reach. So why did Dallas lose? Well, it doesn't help that the defense gave up 437 total yards, while the Cowboys rush offense managed a dominating.. 49 yards. Play the "Romo's fault" card all you want, but all it proves is that you watch the media more closely than you watch the games.

2012 Wk. 17 vs. Redskins
Tony Romo: 20-37, 218 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT.

Yep, Romo's fault again. In fairness, he started off about as terribly as you possibly can. Two interceptions on the first two possessions. After that, he played pretty brilliantly and brought the Cowboys back into striking distance. And then the moment this game is infamous for. The "terrible" decision by Romo that leads to the interception by Rob Jackson. First things first - have you watched that play?

Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo throws third INT of the night - NFL Videos

I've seen that play ran a number of times, here's what's supposed to happen. Witten is the first read, running a quick button hook and then ideally turning it upfield. In this case, he's covered. Second read is a quick hit to Murray swinging out of the backfield. His job here is to read the linebacker coming out into the flat to cover him. If the LB (Jackson) plays him inside or doesn't bite on the route, he can flare out a bit wider. If the LB bites hard on the route, Murray's job is to cut in front of his face and shield him from the ball. That's his job, sort of like what a receiver is supposed to do on a slant. Instead, Murray drifts outside and lets Jackson cut right under him for the pick. Could Romo have thrown a better pass? Sure. If he hadn't had a jailbreak right in his face he could have read what Murray was doing and thrown it outside shoulder instead of inside shoulder. But it was in no way the "bonehead" decision that everyone crucified Romo for.

Beyond that, was Romo really the reason the Cowboys lost that game? I don't think so. If anything, he's one of the main reasons they even had a chance. The defense was abysmal in that game, and they absolutely could not do anything to defend the read option (esp. with Ware being injured). Alfred Morris had 200 yards and 3 TDs, and Bob Griffin had 63 yards and a rushing TD. How many teams win that game, regardless of who their QB is? I was as frustrated as anyone with how that game played out, especially the last interception, and Romo definitely had a hand in putting Dallas behind all game. But you can hardly pin the loss on him alone, and for most of the game he was one of the few guys keeping us in contention.

So, again, I've given you facts. Do you have anything to add besides repeating baseless football memes?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:
The "big" games generally happen in December, January and the playoffs, right? Well.. Romo has conveniently played in exactly 16 such games in the last four years. In those 16 games, he's led three 4th quarter comebacks, had a 95+ rating six times and a 100+ rating five times, had zero turnovers six times, and only thrown more than one interception exactly one time. If you turned those 16 games into a full season, you'd have this stat line: 400-593 (67.5%), 4696 yards, 33 TD, 8 INT, 104.2 passer rating. That's almost MVP caliber.

But let's look at the games you named.

2008 Wk. 17 vs. Eagles
Tony Romo: 21-39, 183 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT. 2 Fumbles.

Not a great game, but not terrible. The fumbles, of course, get pinned on Romo even though they were caused by sacks that were allowed by an exceedingly porous offensive line. They were both returned for touchdowns, which apparently also has something to do with Romo for some reason(?). Also overlooked is the fact that Dallas had 19 rush attempts for 87 yards (11 of them coming from Romo), while Philly had 36 rushes for 137 yards and a touchdown.

2011 Wk. 16 vs. Eagles
Tony Romo attempted two passes before injuring his throwing hand, I really hope you're not going to pin that one on him. I don't know of many QBs who can win a game from the bench. For your sake I'll assume you meant the Week 17 game against the Giants.

2011 Wk. 17 vs. Giants
Tony Romo: 29-37, 289 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT. 1 Fumble.

Despite a bruised and swollen throwing hand (see above), and despite being sacked six times(!) and pressured/knocked down a number of other times behind a terrible line, Romo turns in a game good enough for a 106.0 passer rating. The one interception came in the middle of the 3rd quarter, and it led to nothing more than a turnover on downs for the Giants. And, of course, the fumble came on a sack - which, by the way, came with less than two minutes left when the game was already out of reach. So why did Dallas lose? Well, it doesn't help that the defense gave up 437 total yards, while the Cowboys rush offense managed a dominating.. 49 yards. Play the "Romo's fault" card all you want, but all it proves is that you watch the media more closely than you watch the games.

2012 Wk. 17 vs. Redskins
Tony Romo: 20-37, 218 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT.

Yep, Romo's fault again. In fairness, he started off about as terribly as you possibly can. Two interceptions on the first two possessions. After that, he played pretty brilliantly and brought the Cowboys back into striking distance. And then the moment this game is infamous for. The "terrible" decision by Romo that leads to the interception by Rob Jackson. First things first - have you watched that play?

Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo throws third INT of the night - NFL Videos

I've seen that play ran a number of times, here's what's supposed to happen. Witten is the first read, running a quick button hook and then ideally turning it upfield. In this case, he's covered. Second read is a quick hit to Murray swinging out of the backfield. His job here is to read the linebacker coming out into the flat to cover him. If the LB (Jackson) plays him inside or doesn't bite on the route, he can flare out a bit wider. If the LB bites hard on the route, Murray's job is to cut in front of his face and shield him from the ball. That's his job, sort of like what a receiver is supposed to do on a slant. Instead, Murray drifts outside and lets Jackson cut right under him for the pick. Could Romo have thrown a better pass? Sure. If he hadn't had a jailbreak right in his face he could have read what Murray was doing and thrown it outside shoulder instead of inside shoulder. But it was in no way the "bonehead" decision that everyone crucified Romo for.

Beyond that, was Romo really the reason the Cowboys lost that game? I don't think so. If anything, he's one of the main reasons they even had a chance. The defense was abysmal in that game, and they absolutely could not do anything to defend the read option (esp. with Ware being injured). Alfred Morris had 200 yards and 3 TDs, and Bob Griffin had 63 yards and a rushing TD. How many teams win that game, regardless of who their QB is? I was as frustrated as anyone with how that game played out, especially the last interception, and Romo definitely had a hand in putting Dallas behind all game. But you can hardly pin the loss on him alone, and for most of the game he was one of the few guys keeping us in contention.

So, again, I've given you facts. Do you have anything to add besides repeating baseless football memes?

Of course it's not all his fault but the QB receives most of the blame which is how it is in the NFL. If you are a QB who don't throw Int's then your team can go along way because the other team doesn't get extra possessions to score points. So why does Romo constantly get a pass when he has been in the league since 2006? If it's not the defense being blamed then it's the offensive line but never ever anything Romo did. I did think he career would take a turn for the better when he led his team over the eagles two weeks in a row at the end of the 2009 season but then he went backwards again. I just want to know how many chances is this guy going to get to be the starter when he is getting older and not accomplishing anything. We will see how it plays out this year and if he can limit the turnovers late in the game.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
wow....G-men/Cowboys SNF

skins/iggles MNF

NFC east will be on display opening weekend for the entire country to see
Isn't it always. People do not understand why and it's simple as this, 4 top 10 markets with 4 large fanbases is going to attract the media to cover it.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Of course it's not all his fault but the QB receives most of the blame which is how it is in the NFL. If you are a QB who don't throw Int's then your team can go along way because the other team doesn't get extra possessions to score points. So why does Romo constantly get a pass when he has been in the league since 2006? If it's not the defense being blamed then it's the offensive line but never ever anything Romo did. I did think he career would take a turn for the better when he led his team over the eagles two weeks in a row at the end of the 2009 season but then he went backwards again. I just want to know how many chances is this guy going to get to be the starter when he is getting older and not accomplishing anything. We will see how it plays out this year and if he can limit the turnovers late in the game.
lol.. So your answer to everything seems to be "well, that's the way it is." Yeah, that's the way it is among the media and the casual, soap opera fans they cater to. All you're doing is repeating the same tired football memes over and over and completely ignoring facts. They do tend to get in the way of the good stories though, don't they?

And Romo gets a pass? Really?! Romo is one of, if not the most hated, starting quarterbacks in the league, even by a good portion of his own fanbase. He doesn't get a pass even when he deserves one. If you don't want to look at the facts, I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy your soap opera.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,683 times
The good news is that we will not have to wait much longer to see how good, Romo, Griffin, Manning, and Vick will be this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football