Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Ken Stabler, like Jim Plunkett, threw more INTs than TDs in his career.
Right, but unlike Plunkett.. Stabler did start his career in Oakland and yet still can't find his way to the HOF. I think there is a Raider bias... Can anyone say, Tim Brown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Stabler played second fiddle to both Lamonica and Blanda for a few years; without checking, his stats are probably a little down..

I did think that Jerry Kramer and Mick Tinglehoff would be in by now; I have my doubts about Jim Marshall--a good player, but not really great, known more for his longevity..

Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
DB/RB Johnny Robinson
CAREER: 1960-71 (Chiefs)
STATS: 57 INTs
HIGLIGHTS: 1) A six-time All-Pro (1965-70) and seven-time Pro Bowler.
2) A member of the All-1960s Decade Team.
3) Helped the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs (same franchise) claim three American Football League titles in the 1960s.
4) Robinson was an All-Pro performer during the Chiefs' Lombardi Trophy season of 1969 (Super Bowl IV).
5) Robinson stands as one of just six defenders in NFL history to post multiple seasons of 10-plus interceptions (Otto Schnellbacher, Paul Krause, Don Doll, Jack Christiansen, Dick 'Night Train' Lane -- left).
6) Robinson (right) moonlighted as a running back in his first two pro seasons ... and racked up 15 TDs.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:09 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
I can't believe no one brought up Joe Klecko of The Jets For years he led the NFL in sacks, and had the most sacks in the pre 16 game schedule. The person who passed his record was Mark Gastineau by half a sack. Gastineau only got his sacks because Klecko was always double teamed. Klecko was also the only player ever to the pro-bowl at defensive end, defensive tackle and nose tackle. He WAS the main cog of "The Sack Exchange" one of the most devastating defensive lines in the NFL. If you ask numerous HOF offensive linemen who was the toughest DL player, Joe Klecko's name came up a lot. Every year I am more and more disgusted by Joe Klecko not being voted in.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Shame Orlando Pace won't be a first ballot HOF as he should be.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I can't believe no one brought up Joe Klecko of The Jets For years he led the NFL in sacks, and had the most sacks in the pre 16 game schedule. The person who passed his record was Mark Gastineau by half a sack. Gastineau only got his sacks because Klecko was always double teamed. Klecko was also the only player ever to the pro-bowl at defensive end, defensive tackle and nose tackle. He WAS the main cog of "The Sack Exchange" one of the most devastating defensive lines in the NFL. If you ask numerous HOF offensive linemen who was the toughest DL player, Joe Klecko's name came up a lot. Every year I am more and more disgusted by Joe Klecko not being voted in.
Klecko only played 1 season in the pre 16 game era.. and they did not officially count Sacks back then so how many sacks did Klecko have in 1977? Harvey Martin of the Cowboys tallied 23 (unofficial) sacks in 1977, won AP Defensive player of the year, ALL Pro and was named Super Bowl XII MVP. Still Klecko had a tad better career mostly due to longevity. I know Martin is often overlooked because he played along side Randy White who was constantly double teamed leaving the quick and fast Martin one on one on the edge.

Does Klecko suffer from the same syndrome, being over looked because of Gastineau on the other side?

Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Oh I disagree, Plunkett deserves it way before Anderson. Plunkett's real problem is being on the lousy New England Patriots for so long, that is why he is not a HOFer. Had he started his career in Oakland instead of just ending it there he would be in.
Plunkett's rating was terrible, even his rating as a Raider.

Ken Anderson led the league in passer rating numerous times even while facing the Steeler defenses of the '70's twice a year!! There's no comparison between the two.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I think his role in the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies negatively influenced voters

He was certainly solid, and was most impressive in 1985 when he moved to nose tackle and, IMO, was the best defensive player in the AFC. But I can also see why he was a fringe candidate, probably not to get in until old-timers vote.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Shame Orlando Pace won't be a first ballot HOF as he should be.
Mike Webster wasn't a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer either, and if he wasn't, then no offensive linemen necessarily have to be.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post

Ken Anderson led the league in passer rating numerous times even while facing the Steeler defenses of the '70's twice a year!! There's no comparison between the two.
There are more than a few from the media that are pulling from the quarterback from Augustana college.

Coldhardfacts is a site that doesn't get a lot of print here but recently they came up with a good column called "Injustice For Canton-The Case for Kenny Anderson." Anderson and the Bengals problem was going up against Bradshaw and the Steelers who had as great a six year run that an NFL club could make- four super bowls in six years.

But from 1970 to 1978 the Cincinnatti Bengals was a heck of a club in their own rite. If Paul Brown was known for anything he was known as the first NFL coach who continuously shuttled in plays to their quarterback. And in the Browns early years with Cleveland there is, heh heh, one guy who REALLY stands out as one of the messenger linemen-Chuck Noll! Yeppirs!!

It also didn't hurt that Paul Brown had a guy as offensive coordinator who went on to,um, bigger and better things. That would be Bill Walsh. If only the Bengals could have pulled out that first SB match against the 49ers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football