Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:31 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times

Advertisements

Here's my top 10 WORST NFL uniforms of all time.

• 10. Buffalo Bills (Current): One too many colors and too many stripes = overkill.
  • 9. Cleveland Browns (orange jersey): Sorry, but only the Texas Longhorns make Orange jerseys look good.
  • 8. New England Patriots (1990's unis): The oversized Flying Elvis logos on the shoulders killed it.
  • 7. Arizona Cardinals (1960-present): Really, I don't know what's worse.... the plain, one color unis of old or present, "too much here" uniforms of now that still don't even have a colored facemask.
  • 6. Minnesota Vikings (Current): Don't get me wrong, I like modern uniforms in the NFL, but I feel that too much was done here.
  • 5. Tennesse Titans (all powder blue): I actually like the Titans' digs, but too much baby blue only works for the N. Carolina hoops team.
  • 4. Cincinnati Bengals (orange jerseys): 1st. - see Cleveland Browns above. / 2nd. - add tiger stripes....
  • 3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1970's puke orange unis): Ah, the "cream-sicles". I don't think I have to go any further....
  • 2. Philadelphia Eagles (1930's unis): The first time I saw these, I thought my eyes would be damaged. These are WAAAAY too bright. I really didn't think uniforms from that time were that shiny. If you had to squint just to see the team name, then that's what it's like looking at these unis.
  • 1. ...... Ok, so NOT the orange Buccos and NOT the retna-burning Eagles unis... SO what could possibly be worst than either of those two? Read below...

THE 1960 DENVER BRONCOS. And I'll tell ya why.

Better yet, I'll show ya.

....It's not the team in the white and blue helmets.... it's the team in the (get this) mustard yellow jerseys and brown pants.
That's right folks, before the Broncos were blue and orange, their colors were mustard yellow and brown. They had brown helmets and brown/yellow vertical baseball socks.
Get that through your heads without throwing up.
And THAT, my friends, is the WORST uniform in NFL history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Here's my top 10 WORST NFL uniforms of all time.

• 10. Buffalo Bills (Current): One too many colors and too many stripes = overkill.
  • 9. Cleveland Browns (orange jersey): Sorry, but only the Texas Longhorns make Orange jerseys look good.
  • 8. New England Patriots (1990's unis): The oversized Flying Elvis logos on the shoulders killed it.
  • 7. Arizona Cardinals (1960-present): Really, I don't know what's worse.... the plain, one color unis of old or present, "too much here" uniforms of now that still don't even have a colored facemask.
  • 6. Minnesota Vikings (Current): Don't get me wrong, I like modern uniforms in the NFL, but I feel that too much was done here.
  • 5. Tennesse Titans (all powder blue): I actually like the Titans' digs, but too much baby blue only works for the N. Carolina hoops team.
  • 4. Cincinnati Bengals (orange jerseys): 1st. - see Cleveland Browns above. / 2nd. - add tiger stripes....
  • 3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1970's puke orange unis): Ah, the "cream-sicles". I don't think I have to go any further....
  • 2. Philadelphia Eagles (1930's unis): The first time I saw these, I thought my eyes would be damaged. These are WAAAAY too bright. I really didn't think uniforms from that time were that shiny. If you had to squint just to see the team name, then that's what it's like looking at these unis.
  • 1. ...... Ok, so NOT the orange Buccos and NOT the retna-burning Eagles unis... SO what could possibly be worst than either of those two? Read below...

THE 1960 DENVER BRONCOS. And I'll tell ya why.

Better yet, I'll show ya.

....It's not the team in the white and blue helmets.... it's the team in the (get this) mustard yellow jerseys and brown pants.
That's right folks, before the Broncos were blue and orange, their colors were mustard yellow and brown. They had brown helmets and brown/yellow vertical baseball socks.
Get that through your heads without throwing up.
And THAT, my friends, is the WORST uniform in NFL history.

I love the Titans jersey, they pull it off well for me.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
The new Bengals uniforms are ridiculous. Waaaayyy too much going on there; maybe it's to distract the fans from how lousy the team is playing. And I'll second the Browns' orange jerseys; I never want to see them again!

The orange pants, on the other hand, are way cool.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I like the Titans helmet, I like the powder blue jersey. I am sorry, the solid powder blue Titans unifrom looks, how should I say, "womanly." The Tar Heels blue is slightly darker, or it appears so to me, the powder blue jersey and pants together are ugly. Has to be one of the worst combos in the NFL. I feel the same way about the Seahawks. I don't hate the logo, but the solid blue pant and jersey with the matching helmet is too much. I prefer if they mixed white pants with the blue jersey. All that blue is overkill.

I know I am in the minority; but I LOVE the Cincinnati Bengals uniform. I love the stripes on the sleeves and helmet, and I love the orange jersey. It is one of my favs; outside of Indy of course.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,904 times
In no order:

Bengals, Bills (I actually love their throwbacks...hate their current jerseys though), Jets (Throwbacks, not the green ones), Eagles (Throwbacks), Patriots, Cardinals, Jaguars, Ravens (When they wear the all-black ones), and the All-Red Texans.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
I will second JJG's nomination for the Denver Broncos' mustard-and-brown. (Later, when they finally went to blue and orange, they also had socks that were striped all the way up for a few seasons. Those were fairly awful, too).

Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
In no order:

Bengals, Bills (I actually love their throwbacks...hate their current jerseys though), Jets (Throwbacks, not the green ones), Eagles (Throwbacks), Patriots, Cardinals, Jaguars, Ravens (When they wear the all-black ones), and the All-Red Texans.
Were they the ones they were wearing eariler this season?

If they were they get my vote, absoultley awful.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Were they the ones they were wearing eariler this season?

If they were they get my vote, absoultley awful.
About the New York Jets' throwbacks (you know, the blue and gold N.Y. Titans unis), personally I don't think they look that bad. At least, for a throwback uniform.

Now they couldn't wear those as every game uniforms, of course.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Here is the scoop on the vertical stripe socks. AND you'll love how it ended up.

Dean Griffing was the Broncos General Manager back then. As most people know, the American Football League was a fledgling league to say the least. And they were cost conscious to a fault. In this case, Griffing bought the uniforms in a bulk transaction from the originators of the Copper Bowl, a defunct college bowl game based out of Tucson, Arizona. What I have heard through the Bronco Quarterback Club the uniforms and sox cost $250.

After the halfway point of the first season, a lot of the players were so humiliated by the socks ( the uniforms were bad enough), that the players bought their own sox and wore them. They were getting enough grief from the opposing players, the fans at their away games, and various media types that they refused to wear them by the time 1961 rolled around.

Fast forward to 1962. Dean Griffing, the general manager, and head coach Frank Filchock were fired at the end of the 1961 season after finishing 4-9-1 in 1960 and 3-11 in 1961.

Jack Faulkner replaced them in 1962. He bought new uniforms and burned the old uniforms and the striped socks in a most bizarre ceremony. In the opening exhibition game of the 1962 season, the pregame ceremony featured a couple dudes dressed up as Roman centurions, swords and all. They pranced around the field with a stick torch in one hand and an old uniform in the other. After circling the field they went to midfield and all the old uniforms were thrown into a huge pile and the striped sox went in after the uniforms. The fans roared in approval, everything burned up, and that was the end of the uniforms.

But not completely. The NFL Hall Of Fame in Canton, Ohio has a pair of those sox in the Denver Bronco exhibit. Red Miller was a young assistant coach under Faulkner back then. He heard of the plan to burn the uniforms and grabbed a pair of the sox "just for yucks", as he referred to it. Miller went on to lead Denver to it's first Super Bowl, SBXII, in 1978 against Dallas. He still has his sox.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-20-2008 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Yeah! Look at this shot of Lionel Taylor with that dreaded uniform!

And how about them goofy throwback helmets?

Thank goodness this was a bit before my time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football