Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Um....but the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey.
Um, as if I don't know that. I was being sarcastic, hence the sarcastic face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:43 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Western NY is very passionate about the Bills, and I'm sure that the NFL knows this. I could see an uproar by Bills fans quite similar to that of us Browns fans in 1995 when Modell announced the move of the original franchise to Baltimore.
The original franchise stayed in Cleveland....Baltimore does not have the history or the records...they got a team...but they didn't get the history.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
The original franchise stayed in Cleveland....Baltimore does not have the history or the records...they got a team...but they didn't get the history.

I live in northeast Ohio, and am a lifelong Browns fan, so yes I'm aware of this. In essence, when Modell relocated the team to Baltimore, it was almost as if they became an expansion team. I only wish the Browns have had more success since their return to the NFL in 1999. My greatest memories of the Browns are the 80s, and they didn't even get to the Super Bowl. At least I can say I remember a time when the Browns were a contender. My son, who is 11 has never known the Browns to be good, except for the 2007 season when they went 10-6, but still missed the playoffs.

Back to the Bills... I still feel that the whole situation with Cleveland has made the NFL leary about allowing any other franchises relocating. I doubt the Bills will be moving to Toronto.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
I live in northeast Ohio, and am a lifelong Browns fan, so yes I'm aware of this. In essence, when Modell relocated the team to Baltimore, it was almost as if they became an expansion team. I only wish the Browns have had more success since their return to the NFL in 1999. My greatest memories of the Browns are the 80s, and they didn't even get to the Super Bowl. At least I can say I remember a time when the Browns were a contender. My son, who is 11 has never known the Browns to be good, except for the 2007 season when they went 10-6, but still missed the playoffs.

Back to the Bills... I still feel that the whole situation with Cleveland has made the NFL leary about allowing any other franchises relocating. I doubt the Bills will be moving to Toronto.
I am with you on this one. Especially if we're talking about a move from a market like Buffalo to Toronto. If the league felt it could increase revenues by placing a team in a larger market they would do it in a heartbeat, loyalty of the current fan base notwithstanding. They want a team in Los Angeles so bad I'm convinced Goodall [self pleasures] at night to the sketches of the proposed stadiums there. Toronto and the Bills is a similar concept, plus it allows the league to straddle an international border, something the league has wanted for several years now.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
that sounds all nice and warm but despite what the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce thinks, the NFL team that plays in Baltimore is the same one that won all those NFL Championships back in the early days...just as the LA Lakers Championships won in Minneapolis do not belong to the Timberwolves.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that sounds all nice and warm but despite what the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce thinks, the NFL team that plays in Baltimore is the same one that won all those NFL Championships back in the early days...just as the LA Lakers Championships won in Minneapolis do not belong to the Timberwolves.

The Lakers did not change their name when they moved to LA. The name of Modell's franchise changed, and the history and colors of the Browns were left behind. The Baltimore Ravens have absolutely NO ties to the Cleveland Browns history! Now in the case of the Lakers, as well as the Colts when they left Baltimore for Indianapolis, the history did indeed follow those franchises, because there was no call for either of them to leave the names behind in their former cities. In fact Cleveland and Browns fans set a precedent, in being the first to fight to leave the name, history, and colors behind. Given the circumstances the NFL made the right call on that one.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
The Lakers did not change their name when they moved to LA. The name of Modell's franchise changed, and the history and colors of the Browns were left behind. The Baltimore Ravens have absolutely NO ties to the Cleveland Browns history! Now in the case of the Lakers, as well as the Colts when they left Baltimore for Indianapolis, the history did indeed follow those franchises, because there was no call for either of them to leave the names behind in their former cities. In fact Cleveland and Browns fans set a precedent, in being the first to fight to leave the name, history, and colors behind. Given the circumstances the NFL made the right call on that one.

Correct, except that there certainly was a call for the Colts name and other identification to be left in Baltimore, which was totally ignored by Irsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football