Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 AM

1,074 posts, read 950,397 times

Advertisements

Johnny Manziel is a controversial new quarterback in the NFL. People love him and they hate him. If Manziel becomes the starter for the Cleveland Browns, do you see him leading the team to Super Bowl victories in the future or is he overrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM

329 posts, read 388,038 times
Hype. All hype. I think the Redskins showed that last night.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
At this point? No. Could it change? Sure, but the kid has to grow up. He's gotta wake up and realize this isn't all about him anymore. There are 52 other guys on that roster whose livelihoods depends on what they do on the field. He let the Redskins get under his skin in a preseason game. The Steelers & Ravens will have a field day with him in the regular season.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
If history repeats itself, then no. The Browns in recent history have a tendency to ruin a QB (save for Brandon Weeden, because he just flat out sucked). However; I'm trying to remain optimistic. Ideally, I would like to see Hoyer get the nod, and let Manziel develop behind him....like Rodgers did behind Favre, Young behind Montana, and Rivers behind Brees. What CANNOT happen is what we saw last night with this back and forth crap of Hoyer getting a series, then Manziel, then Hoyer again...back and forth. I realize it's preseason and every team is trying to work out the kinks. But not naming a starter and going with that person is disruptive to the team. Not to mention, no continuity. I think Manziel can be a damn good QB. What the Browns need to do is do like any other respectable team does with a young QB and that is play to that QBs strengths. The problem with the Browns aside from the numerous coaching and front office changes is that one thing remains the same... no matter the coach, or front office they are always trying to force their system, which never seems to work. You coach your players on their strengths. Back in the day Marty Schottenheimer and the coaching staff tried to change Bernie Kosar's throwing style, and eventually given Kosar's success on those mid-80s teams Marty said to heck with it, because it was working!

Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,830,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
Hype. All hype. I think the Redskins showed that last night.
The Redskins didn't show anything...they were lucky they won by one point. The Browns 1st team defense against the Skins 1st team offense was very good, especially the goal line stance with 4 downs.

But having said that, most of the blame goes on the coaches for not preparing properly and for the yo-yo effect of Hoyer/Manziel going back and forth. Seems like everyone knows, except the coaching staff, that it is hard to get a rhythm going with this type of game plan.

In a nutshell, both QB's did poorly though. Both will get better in the next couple of weeks. Hoyer should start and if he doesn't perform, Manziel should be ready.

Unless Johnny Football totally implodes or blows out a knee, he will be the future leader of the Browns.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The Redskins didn't show anything...they were lucky they won by one point. The Browns 1st team defense against the Skins 1st team offense was very good, especially the goal line stance with 4 downs.

But having said that, most of the blame goes on the coaches for not preparing properly and for the yo-yo effect of Hoyer/Manziel going back and forth. Seems like everyone knows, except the coaching staff, that it is hard to get a rhythm going with this type of game plan.

In a nutshell, both QB's did poorly though. Both will get better in the next couple of weeks. Hoyer should start and if he doesn't perform, Manziel should be ready.

Unless Johnny Football totally implodes or blows out a knee, he will be the future leader of the Browns.

The Browns D looked pretty damn good! However; the offense did look out of sync. I mean, 3 turnovers at the half, and 3 points to show for it? 4 turnovers, and you STILL lose the game! I realize this offense is going to go through some growing pains, but dammit they'd better be able to punch it in from the redzone from time to time. Or it's going to be more the same as we've seen. The defense keeps them in the game, but runs out of gas down the stretch, because the offense can't stay on the field and sustain a couple of long drives and turn those drives into to touchdowns instead of field goals, or keeps going 3 and out.

At any rate the coaching staff is definitely to blame. The jury is still out on Pettine as he is a rookie head coach, and given his background as a defensive guy, I'm inclined to give him a pass. However; if this is the best we can hope for with Kyle Shanahan at offensive coordinator,then my God we as Browns fans are in for another long year! Remember, he left on a poor note with the Redskins along with his dad due to how they handled the RGIII situation.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73;36149142.... He let the Redskins get under his skin in a [b
preseason game[/b]. The Steelers & Ravens will have a field day with him in the regular season.
Imagine him playing the Eagles in Philly!

Even IF his skill materializes to make him a franchise QB it will take a few seasons for him to live down the Johnny One Finger incident.

Tebow's skill never materialized .... he remains a comic figure to a lot of football fans. Time will tell about Johnny One Finger.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM

329 posts, read 388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

First a win is a win, and what did Johnny Boy do? Why so flustered at the end of the game? He is not ready to show anything except maybe some maturity.
And he better get on that quick. He is not going to a team with a long winning tradition as of late.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:46 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I said it before and I'll say it again, a major, major dose of maturity is in order for that boy. I have a feeling he is going to get schooled this season, big time. At the moment, highly overrated and hyped.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Manziel is easy to root against for a lot of reasons. Right now I think there is a lot of hype surrounding him and I think it does not bode well or speak highly of his maturity or intellect that the Redskins got under his skin they way they did in a pre-season game. He plays in a division famous for smashmouth defenses, so he'd better cinch down that chinstrap and put on his big-boy jockstrap if he is going to last through a season or two.

I will be surprised if the Browns anoint him starter for the beginning of the season. I think Hoyer is going to at least get the nod out the gates. Since the Browns can't seem to keep a QB healthy, Manziel will likely see some playing time and become the starter at some point this season. I believe this will lead to his going the route of Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden: never fully realizing his potential. If Hoyer can beat him out and stay healthy all year, though I think Manziel's career may have a chance. Sitting and learning the game from the sideline may be better for him in the long run. In this scenario I can see him some day leading the Browns to at least a few seasons of competence.

Who knows? If Hoyer stays healthy and the Browns defense plays as good as they have the past few seasons the Browns may post a respectable record this year. I don't think anyone expects this, but 9-7 may be enough to take that division. (I think I say this every year, so...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football