Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,800 times

Advertisements

Week 1: 36-16, home team wins by 20

Week 2: 26-6, home team wins by 20

Week 3: 56-14, home team wins by 42

Week 4: 45-14, visitor team wins by 31

Week 5: 42-10, home team wins by 32

Average margin of victory on Thursday night? 29 points. Most of the Thursday night games have been over by halftime. And despite my Redskins being the anamoly last week, the home team is destroying the visitors every game.

As a football fan, I like being able to watch football on Thursdays. But if these are the kind of games were gonna get, where the visiting team doesn't even have a chance, let's end it. Though the NFL is all about money, which is why we have Thursday football now, I believe these games are actually bad for the league.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 08:48 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Week 1: 36-16, home team wins by 20

Week 2: 26-6, home team wins by 20

Week 3: 56-14, home team wins by 42

Week 4: 45-14, visitor team wins by 31

Week 5: 42-10, home team wins by 32

Average margin of victory on Thursday night? 29 points. Most of the Thursday night games have been over by halftime. And despite my Redskins being the anamoly last week, the home team is destroying the visitors every game.

As a football fan, I like being able to watch football on Thursdays. But if these are the kind of games were gonna get, where the visiting team doesn't even have a chance, let's end it. Though the NFL is all about money, which is why we have Thursday football now, I believe these games are actually bad for the league.

Thoughts??
I agree completely, but the problem is the Redskins-Giants game had huge ratings so I am not sure that is going to move the needle enough for the NFL to do something. If the ratings start to drop off then it may happen. The games have been awful. I have a co-worker who went to the Redskin game and they were leaving by the middle of the 3rd quarter. People are going to do the same on TV if it continues. I will admit though next week looks promising: Colts vs. Texans

Old 10-03-2014, 09:08 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,447 times
Are there still people who don't have access to TNF? It wasn't that long ago Time Warner didn't carry NFL Network.

I'd rather see a great game on SNF or MNF to be honest. I'd rather not have a reason to stay up all night on Thursday. I also don't like seeing my team occasionally have a 4-day week, even if it means they've got 10-11 days before the game after.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,614,526 times
Players don't like the Thursday games, short recovery from playing on Sunday. This year CBS carries Thursday games, last year I couldn't even watch them as I didn't have NFL Network. NFL we know is all about the money, these blow out games aren't what the average, long term fan wants to see. However, with fantasy football, younger fans, maybe they do.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:30 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
I personally think the only Thursday games the NFL should have are the Dallas & Detroit Thanksgiving Day games, but I'm a crotchety old traditionalist so what do I know?

Old 10-03-2014, 09:48 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,162 times
How is this the NFL's fault? To be honest these games are typical "rivalries" that normally are entertaining and close games.

Seattle vs. Green Bay - Both teams are super bowl contenders... highly anticipated matchup.

Baltimiore vs. Pittsburgh - Need I say more? Probably the biggest rivalry in all of football, games are usually real close.

Tampa vs. Atlanta - ok.. this is the worst of them all.. mainly cause Bucs stink.

Giants vs. Redskins - Another big rivalry with these 2 NFC East teams

Minnesota vs. Green Bay - Again, big NFC North Rivalry.. unfortunately it's not what it used to be right now.

Overall I think these are "quality" matchups in terms of rivalries and interest but obviously the games haven't panned out that way so far. Don't know how this is the NFL's fault when a team gets thrashed? If they had scheduled lets say Jacksonville vs. Oakland on a Thursday then you have an argument.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
I agree with psurangers11, its just bad luck so far.. most of these games looked great on paper they just didn't turn out that way. but its still early, things might turn around and we will get better TNF games..

Old 10-03-2014, 10:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Perfect karma. I HATE Thursday Night Football.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
NFL cannot predict the results. Given that these have been divisional games it's not hard to think these would have been thought of competitive. Last nights game would have been much better with Bridgewater and AP involved but the NFL cannot predict injury nor a star player beating his kid.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
How is this the NFL's fault? To be honest these games are typical "rivalries" that normally are entertaining and close games.

Seattle vs. Green Bay - Both teams are super bowl contenders... highly anticipated matchup.

Baltimiore vs. Pittsburgh - Need I say more? Probably the biggest rivalry in all of football, games are usually real close.

Tampa vs. Atlanta - ok.. this is the worst of them all.. mainly cause Bucs stink.

Giants vs. Redskins - Another big rivalry with these 2 NFC East teams

Minnesota vs. Green Bay - Again, big NFC North Rivalry.. unfortunately it's not what it used to be right now.

Overall I think these are "quality" matchups in terms of rivalries and interest but obviously the games haven't panned out that way so far. Don't know how this is the NFL's fault when a team gets thrashed? If they had scheduled lets say Jacksonville vs. Oakland on a Thursday then you have an argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I agree with psurangers11, its just bad luck so far.. most of these games looked great on paper they just didn't turn out that way. but its still early, things might turn around and we will get better TNF games..
Can the NFL control the quality of the games? No, but do they know that games on short weeks tend to suffer because of the lessen amount of time to recover from injury? Yes and that's why this is bad. You can have the best matchups in the world but if players are hurt they are not going to play at a high level. Only the Seahawks-Packers game gets a pass because of the game starting the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football