Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,290 times

Advertisements

I think opening night and Thanksgiving are OK. Whatever happened to Saturday night games? I remember the Cowboys hosting one a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I think opening night and Thanksgiving are OK. Whatever happened to Saturday night games? I remember the Cowboys hosting one a few years back.

We usually don't see Saturday night games until late in the season, because it conflicts too much with college football.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,938,490 times
Article on the Thursday night games.

What's to Blame for the NFL's Thursday Night Failures? | Bleacher Report

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I personally think the only Thursday games the NFL should have are the Dallas & Detroit Thanksgiving Day games, but I'm a crotchety old traditionalist so what do I know?
Same here.

Its just a money grab plain and simple and does nothing to help the health of the NFL actual players...

But everything related to the NFL is a money grab. Ticket prices, parking, when games are broadcasted, etc....

As long as people buy PSL's and season tickets, along w/all memorabilia and stuff, it won't change and it will only get worse..

Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,290 times
Weeks 1 and 2 weren't actually that bad.

Week 1: Sea was up 17-10 at the half and 22-10 after 3. Maybe not a comeback after 3 on Seattle's defense, but at halftime it was still a game.
Week 2: Bal was up 10-3 at the half and 17-6 after 3. Definitely possible for a comeback, especially since most Bal-Pitt games over the years have gone like this: Ravens outplay the Steelers for 3 quarters and have a marginal lead, then Pitt comes back at the end and either comes up just short or steals a win.

I agree Weeks 3-5 had boring TNF games. Weeks 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14 should be pretty good, plus Seahawks-Niners on Thanksgiving night should be great. No TNF Week 17 of course. By comparison (IMO), there have only been a couple good MNF games so far. MNF in Weeks 5, 6, 8, 11, 13, and maybe 14 look pretty lame.

Nevertheless, I'd rather just see games on Sundays and MNF.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Teams play the schedule.

Can't blame the presentation or the league for what the teams do when they actually touch the field...

Old 10-03-2014, 01:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Can the NFL control the quality of the games? No, but do they know that games on short weeks tend to suffer because of the lessen amount of time to recover from injury? Yes and that's why this is bad. You can have the best matchups in the world but if players are hurt they are not going to play at a high level. Only the Seahawks-Packers game gets a pass because of the game starting the season.

NFL is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Get as many primetime games as you can... that's what they're doing here.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:31 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
i dunno, you guys make some really good points. but to see divison/rivalry games played on such a short notice, it seems that the visitor has no chance...

Old 10-03-2014, 03:34 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
i dunno, you guys make some really good points. but to see divison/rivalry games played on such a short notice, it seems that the visitor has no chance...
I think part of that was also to allow for a short prep time since they are dealing with familiar opponents.

I don't like it because the players don't like it. Player safety must be subjective...

Old 10-03-2014, 06:05 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,627,195 times
Look, I'm all about player safety... to an extent. I mean, really... their occupation is to basically hit someone. So to have a game or two a year where that happens a couple days earlier doesn't seem all that big if you ask me. Besides, the teams that play on Thursday now get nine full days of rest before their next game instead of just six. It may suck going into it, but there is a positive coming out of it as well.

As a lifelong football fan, I like having an extra day to look forward to each week and Thursday is the only one that makes sense. If it was Friday, no one would watch the games while out celebrating the beginning of the weekend, Saturdays are essentially reserved for college football and Tuesday/Wednesday would just be dumb on all accounts.

The Vikings/Packers game would have been a lot more competitive if Adrian Peterson wasn't a dummy and if Teddy Bridgewater didn't hurt his ankle last week... heck, it actually would have been a serious, serious challenge for GB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football