Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:48 AM

211 posts, read 115,396 times

Advertisements

Only one time did a Super Bowl MVP came from a LOSING team....who was it and what SB was it in? (honor system here, if you Google it, it really isn't that challenging now, is it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 AM

18,250 posts, read 25,915,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Hillbilly View Post
Only one time did a Super Bowl MVP came from a LOSING team....who was it and what SB was it in? (honor system here, if you Google it, it really isn't that challenging now, is it)
Chuck Howley doesn't get the press that other retired NFL players get regarding deserving a spot in the NFL Hall Of Fame. Something I didn't have to google is his personal portfolio--a six time pro bowler and a five time first team all-pro.

Something I WOULD have to google would be the total amount of turnovers in that game, SB-V. I remember it well. Duane Thomas came oh so close to a touchdown. In a role reversal from SB-III Earl Morrall took over from John Unitas.

And then there's Howley who played the game of his career.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Chuck Howley doesn't get the press that other retired NFL players get regarding deserving a spot in the NFL Hall Of Fame. Something I didn't have to google is his personal portfolio--a six time pro bowler and a five time first team all-pro.

Something I WOULD have to google would be the total amount of turnovers in that game, SB-V. I remember it well. Duane Thomas came oh so close to a touchdown. In a role reversal from SB-III Earl Morrall took over from John Unitas.

And then there's Howley who played the game of his career.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:54 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,278,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
In a role reversal from SB-III Earl Morrall took over from John Unitas.

Difference being that in SBIII Morrall just wasn't moving the team so Unitas was put in to try to get something together, while in SBV Unitas got hammered in the ribs on a pass and had to come out of the game.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 AM

18,250 posts, read 25,915,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Difference being that in SBIII Morrall just wasn't moving the team so Unitas was put in to try to get something together, while in SBV Unitas got hammered in the ribs on a pass and had to come out of the game.
Agreed, turnovers were the problem in SB-III as well as SB-V. It was good to see Morrall get vindicated, if you will. He spent over a dozen years in the NFL with teams with average talent. Shula picked him up for insurance as Unitas missed much of that '68 season with that arm injury. So what did Morrall do? He was the NFL MVP in that 1968 season. It was good to see both of them get that victory. And quite honestly, that was a big victory for the Colt defense, both defenses actually played one hell of a game.

I remember Unitas going out in the second quarter with that cracked rib. The Cowboys at that time had a hell of a front four and IIRC it was George Andrie who got to Unitas. Unitas was the gutsiest player in the league at that time (or any other time) regarding playing with pain.

And then when O'Brian kicked the game winning field goal there was the helmet toss, courtesy of Bob Lilly, I swear he tossed his helmet 20 yards down the field.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM

7,604 posts, read 6,109,664 times
No CATS have ever won the Super Bowl.

Perhaps that will change this Sunday ?

Old 02-02-2016, 02:23 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,654,462 times
Are you serious? I'll have to check the list!

Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 PM

Heard this trivia question, thought it was a good one (may have read it on CD, can't remember where)

Only 1 team is a multiple SB winning team without losing a SB, what team is it?

Old 02-02-2016, 03:09 PM

1,896 posts, read 1,454,518 times
What was the coldest Super Bowl? No, it's not the one in New York/New Jersey a couple of years ago. The coldest Super Bowl was in New Orleans in Super Bowl VI. It was 39 degrees at kickoff.

Here is a link of the coldest Super Bowls ever played:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl...tml/?a=viewall

Old 02-02-2016, 03:35 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,812,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Hillbilly View Post
Heard this trivia question, thought it was a good one (may have read it on CD, can't remember where)

Only 1 team is a multiple SB winning team without losing a SB, what team is it?
The Baltimore Ravens. They beat the Giants and 49ers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football