Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times

Advertisements

All right, I have a very difficult trivia question here.

Only one franchise has ever selected two future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks in the same draft class. Name that franchise. Name the draft class and the two quarterbacks.

The NFL Draft begins three weeks from today. I don't think anyone will get this by the time it starts... but, hey, maybe someone will surprise me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM

No one?

OK, hint #1:
Both players made the Pro Football Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, though in different years (one had a longer career than the other).

And hint #2:
Each started at least one NFL title game (Super Bowl, NFL Championship, AFL Championship - I won't specify which one or ones apply).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
All right, I have a very difficult trivia question here.

Only one franchise has ever selected two future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks in the same draft class. Name that franchise. Name the draft class and the two quarterbacks.

The NFL Draft begins three weeks from today. I don't think anyone will get this by the time it starts... but, hey, maybe someone will surprise me!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:55 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Bobby Layne
and
YA Tittle

Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Bobby Layne
and
YA Tittle
At last, a guess!

But, no. Layne was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, while Tittle was drafted by the Detroit Lions.

Whereas the question was about both future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks being drafted in the same draft class (year) by the same franchise.

Quote:
Time for another clue!

The team that drafted these two future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks played in Missouri at the time (I won't say whether or not it still does!).

Old 04-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
At last, a guess!

But, no. Layne was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, while Tittle was drafted by the Detroit Lions.

Whereas the question was about both future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterbacks being drafted in the same draft class (year) by the same franchise.

Pittsburgh Steelers? Not according to this link

Hall of Famers by Draft Year - Hall of Famers | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

I found this interesting about the two, which is why I through out the guess.

Bobby Layne, QB, Texas - 1st Round (3rd overall) by Chicago Bears (Also selected in 1st round - 2nd overall - of 1948 AAFC Draft by Baltimore Colts.)
Y.A. Tittle, QB, Louisiana State - 1st Round (6th overall) by Detroit Lions (Drafted by Lions, but started career with the Baltimore Colts in AAFC. When Colts disbanded after 1950 season, the players were made eligible for draft along with college seniors. Tittle was the No. 1 choice - 3rd overall - of 49ers in 1951.)

Basically Layne was drafted by both the Colts and Bears in 1948 (he played with the Bears). Tittle was drafted by the Lions in 1948 but started career with Colts in 1948.

My original guess was going to be these guys who both started their careers in 1920:

Paddy Driscoll
Jimmy Conzelman

But they do not match all of your criteria. Paddy never won a championship.

Edit: Now I see it says "started a title game" not won.

Maybe it is these two? But I am not seeing where the Decatur Staleys played in Missouri.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Pittsburgh Steelers? Not according to this link

Hall of Famers by Draft Year - Hall of Famers | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

I found this interesting about the two, which is why I through out the guess.
Differing sources on Layne indicate different drafting teams. It seems that what happened is that the Steelers drafted him using a pick they'd obtained from the Lions, then traded his rights to Chicago, though that's just what I'm deducing from the various sources.

Quote:
Layne not only stood out as a quarterback at Texas, but was also excelled in baseball. After his graduation, he briefly joined a Class-C Lubbock Hubbers. Shortly, however, he decided he would rather play professional football. He was first drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, but was immediately traded to the Chicago Bears in 1948. By the following season he was already traded to another team, the New York Bulldogs. The Detroit Lions picked him up before the 1950 season started.He would remain with the Lions for the next eight seasons.
Bobby Layne

Like I say, sources do differ and that was sort of the stone-age of the NFL.

interesting note:
Back in those days the draft was held in December, so the 1948 NFL Draft was actually held on December 19, 1947. This was 9 days before the NFL Championship Game (and most of that year's college bowl games).

At any rate, Layne and Tittle were picked by different teams.

Anyway, time for an answer to the question:
Only one franchise has ever selected two future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarter backs in the same draft class. Name that franchise. Name the draft class and the two quarterbacks.

[note: I said 'franchise'. Not 'NFL franchise'. Not even 'football franchise'.]

The answer is...
Spoiler
The Kansas City Royals

In the 1979 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, the Royals burned their 4th-round choice on a right-handed pitcher out of Pittsburgh, and their 18th-round choice on an outfielder out of the San Fernando Valley. Their names?

Dan Marino
John Elway

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...pe=franch_year

Old 04-27-2016, 06:56 AM

Boo!

You tricky devil you.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
hissssss, you tricks us Bagginsssss...nasty hobbit!

Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Git a rope!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Name the first Hall of Famer ever drafted by the Minnesota Vikings

[I bet no one gets this!]

The answer:
Spoiler
Jim Otto

Though it's not widely known, the Minnesota Vikings were one of the eight original members of the American Football League, back when the league was founded in 1959 with and to begin play in 1960. As part of its plan to undermine the rival league, the National Football League enticed the Minnesota ownership group to join the older league, which it agreed to do in January 1960 - leaving the fledgling AFL with only seven teams.

However, while the Minnesota franchise was still officially a member of the AFL, it participated in that league's first draft, in November 1959 (the drafts were normally held at this time back then - the '1960' NFL draft was actually held on November 30, 1959). Minnesota selected Jim Otto, center, out of the University of Miami.

After the Vikings agreed to join the NFL (on the stipulation that they wait until 1961 to begin play) the AFL scrambled to find a replacement franchise to bring their number of teams back up to eight. The found one in Oakland. Having missed the draft, the Oakland franchise was awarded the rights to all the players the Minnesota franchise had selected.

Including Jim Otto.

The next Hall of Famer the Vikings would draft would be Fran Tarkenton, a third-rounder in the 1961 NFL draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football