Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 09:10 AM

7,598 posts, read 6,097,347 times

Advertisements

Even if I do not watch the game, and I do not plan to do so, we still have to eat.

I want one more opportunity to get all of the Football Items (The ones my old lady hates) out of the back of the junk closet* and set up one final spread. We usually do this on opening Thursday night games, Opening Sunday, then each Sunday for a few weeks when we then slow down and do it only on occasion.

We fix all out food, then plate it onto the Football trays and Bowls, then everyone uses paper plates (which have NFL teams on them, guess which 4) and also napkins, paper ups etc

SO We are serving the following

SLOW COOKER BBQ Chicken. This is made in a slow cooker. It is a package (3lb) of Frozen chicken breasts, thawed, placed in a slow cooker Add 1 Can of Dr Pepper and 1 Bottle of your favorite Premade BBQ Sauce, like Kraft or Sweet Baby Ray's Turn it on in the AM, it will be ready by dinner. Shred the chicken , and serve either on bun or just as a course on it's own

POTATO SKINS The Key here is to buy a bag of smaller Russets, with the thicker skins. White potatoes and Gold Potatoes taste great, but they will not work for the recipe. Poke Holes in the Potatoes, Microwave all of them (I use about 8) in the Oven for 6 Minutes to start them. Then Transfer to the Gas grill, set on the higher rack until Soft. This will help firm up the skins, watch because they will be done in under 30 minutes

Slice lengthwise, and remove the Inside and place in a large mixing bowl DO NOT Discard, you will use it in the next recipe. Fill the skins with cheddar/jack cheese mix OR use your favorite, Bacon Bits (I suggest you sizzle some bacon and not use the premade bacon bits) and chives. Place in back on grill until cheese melted OR alternatively you can use your regular oven, broil or 450 setting until cheese melts. Serve with Sour Cream

Baked Potato Salad. Is easy, I use mayo, mustard to get the desired consistency, then I use a few teaspoons of dill pickle juice to get that TANGY taste I love, I add pickle relish (Sweet or dill, your choice) I season with Black Pepper, Coriander, Paprika, Garlic Power, Celery Salt, Dill, (If using sweet relish, otherwise omit dill) I also cover it with a thin layer of CUMIN this really makes it for me.

WINGS We have a new recipe, invented in part by my son. You need a long package of Boneless Chicken Cutlets, or you can buy boneless chicken breast, and slice it in to thin 1 inch strips, by about 2 inches. Basically, you want a nugget size, boneless. Wash and Dry with a paper Towel. Prepare a large Bowl with 2 Cups Flour and 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Season with Pepper, Paprika, Chili Powder, Garlic, and a pinch of crushed red pepper. OR Use Lemon Pepper. OR use Garlic Whatever Flavor u like, this is what you add to the flower. Add a small amount as well to the wings. Roll them in The Flour, then dip once in milk (I use Almond but use what you want) And then roll them into the flour again so that they are coated. You will place them on a shallow baking dish, with the bottom coated in Olive Oil. Heat in Oven 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until internal temp is 165 degrees. Serve with your favorite wing sauce for dipping.

We always consider if neighbors are eating with us or not. They tend to show up when they smell the grill, and that is ok with us. We can also add Chips Dips and for dessert we always get a Super bowl Cake from Publix, although being the large cats we are I still have some pounds to lose this year.

Also here in Florida we can grill out year round. But if everyone cooked what we do, it would be a dull world. I would love to hear what you are eating for the Super bowl Thanks

*Which now will be mostly cleaned out due to a local homeless initiative, where they need the items that people rarely or never use to help set up homes for homeless families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 01:41 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,997,048 times
Vienna sausages and Kroger brand canned spaghetti...unless I rectify the food situation by kickoff.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:06 PM

1,462 posts, read 976,119 times
I think I will be marinating some chicken and flap meat (carne asada) to Friday night so we can have chicken and carne asada tacos and some chicken/carne asada nachos for the kids. Sunday in SoCal is looking to be in the low 70s so perfect grilling weather. I can smell the aromas already. We'll also have some fresh guacamole and salsa as well to go with dipping some chips in to. Also, will do some chicken wings with a mango/habanero sauce. I think we also will have some hot dogs. I've been sick with a cold/sinus infection so haven't had any alcohol since the Jan 3 playoff games so will have a few drinks during the day. I've got some IPAs, Guinness and Modelo del Negro so should have the drinks covered for the game.

So it's looking like it will be a good day. I just wish we could have some friends over to enjoy the game, but pretty the family will do just fine by ourselves.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:41 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,775,771 times
That slow cooker chicken recipe sounds tempting. If not, I will do some air fryer wings. I’ll probably stock up on some UTZ hot chips and Angry Orchard as well.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,822,408 times
Homemade calzones, wings, buffalo chicken wing dip, chips, and veggie tray. And of course plenty of adult beverages.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times
Omg - all of it, even spagh and Vienna sausages, my childhood favorites, sound great!
I may go Mex --cuz we have authentic places here, YUM ---the people don't even speak English!
I don't know, probably with org chicken thighs...wings are just too small.
(You know that dolphin that has picked the winner 6 yrs straight picked KC.)

NOT filling up on chips and salsas, tho. Potato salad, same thing, too filling...too many great foods that
don't fill you like starch and carbs...it's a long game.
Gotta be a good hostess, thus, the pacing...family only.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:19 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,071,984 times
The pecan wood smoke will be rolling from my backyard. Wings, pulled pork, sausages. Game on!

Old 02-04-2021, 05:02 PM

818 posts, read 404,488 times
Kirkland brand organic tortilla chips

Thinly sliced cold-smoked sockeye salmon on whole wheat crackers

Shiner's Candied Pecan craft beer

Old 02-04-2021, 09:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,279,155 times
It will be bitterly cold here in Kansas City, so something filling and warm. Maybe chili or lasagna. GO CHIEFS!

Old 02-05-2021, 12:06 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,941,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It will be bitterly cold here in Kansas City, so something filling and warm. Maybe chili or lasagna. GO CHIEFS!
Live 375 miles straight north and I'll show you some cold.

Chili really DOES sound good and HAVE to have buffalo wings. Miss Hepburn mentioned not filling up on chips and salsa. Good advice, but hard to not do.

GO CHIEFS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football