Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 10:06 AM

17,643 posts, read 15,340,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I wonder were they trying for some sort of nostalgia angle?

Nonetheless, I thought the Alliance was pretty good, but boy, were they really screwing up with the financials. If you can't even make it to Week 2, it is time to rethink your gameplan--seriously rethink your gameplan.

Yeah.. AAF was a mess so far as the financials. Never should have launched with what they had.

I don't think it's nostalgia, because, let's be honest, those of us who remember the USFL or might have watched a game are all in our 40's now, at least.

I think they used it because it has name recognition. That is quite valuable. They didn't have to come up with new team names, uniforms, etc, etc which does cost money. Purchasing the assets/intellectual property/whatever that is was likely just cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 01:14 AM

9,787 posts, read 7,507,148 times
What's the point of having divisions if all games will be in the same city?? I'm interested to see how this new thing holds up. I actually think XFL 2.0 would've had a decent chance to succeed if Covid doesn't happen, so I'm not going to completely bash this idea like some people here have yet at the beginning.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:37 AM

68 posts, read 28,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There is a reason RB's don't play 15-20 years like QB's.
Frank Gore
Adrian Peterson
Emmitt Smith

Old 03-18-2022, 01:23 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,551,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer77 View Post
Frank Gore
Adrian Peterson
Emmitt Smith
Three exceptions to the rule an all three were mere shells of their former selves at the end of their careers.

Old 03-19-2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Three exceptions to the rule an all three were mere shells of their former selves at the end of their careers.

I dunno about that.. First off.. AP isn't officially retired, is he? And.. He played REALLY well for the Redskins a few years ago. I know he continued past that, but, still. I think if he wasn't slapping his wife and kid around, he'd.. Probably have played much better. I think he has to still be playing, he needs to in order to pay off all his debt.

Emmett.. That one, there's.. A fair amount of argument that could be had. First, was Emmett actually that good if he wasn't behind some of those great Dallas lines and playing alongside Aikman and the great receiving threats they had? He had.. pretty crappy years in Arizona, but, was that due to him being worn out, playing on a bad team, or a combination of the two?

Gore.. Crap, I still think he's playing. His last 2 years weren't great, but they were pretty good for what he was. A relief/specialty back. While he certainly wasn't the player he was at 25.. Hell.. Who is? He was still a good player at 35 in his year with Miami.

Old 03-19-2022, 03:58 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,666,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. AAF was a mess so far as the financials. Never should have launched with what they had.

I don't think it's nostalgia, because, let's be honest, those of us who remember the USFL or might have watched a game are all in our 40's now, at least.

I think they used it because it has name recognition. That is quite valuable. They didn't have to come up with new team names, uniforms, etc, etc which does cost money. Purchasing the assets/intellectual property/whatever that is was likely just cheaper.
That's a very good point. Yes, that intellectual property would have to be better than all that goes into getting new names, etc. And if hooks some old heads in, even better! Lol.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:52 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,162,676 times
I will wait and see. I would like to see some good football in the spring.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:47 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,666,911 times
I used to not really care one way or another, but for some reason, The Alliance hooked me in, and now I would not mind seeing some good spring football.

Old 03-20-2022, 01:39 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,243,858 times
Put the geezers into powered suits, to augment their dwindling strength and stamina.
That might be fun to watch - robot assist football.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I used to not really care one way or another, but for some reason, The Alliance hooked me in, and now I would not mind seeing some good spring football.

If one is going to make it.. I'd put my money behind the XFL 3.0

Having Duane Johnson behind it.. With some 'support' from the NFL.. I think it has the best shot.

Though.. USFL 2.0 having Fox and NBC money backing it.. Of course, XFL 1.0 had NBC behind it and while it wasn't the train wreck of the AAF so far as folding halfway through.. It was an entirely different kind of train wreck.. Which, I'm saying the USFL 2.0 is heading down that road.

XFL 2.0 was.. Pretty good. All the gimmicks were weeded out, they focused on the product.. Were it not for the pandemic.. While I still think it would wind up being sold off.. I think it would have continued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football